Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
You may have noticed that your Sprinter/Interstate fuel tank is not vented.
How can that be? What displaces the spent fuel?

Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Both Ethanol and biodiesel can damage an engine not designed to use these bio-fuels.
Yes, but the Sprinter engine IS designed to use up to B5 (or, at least is certified to accept it safely).

I am no fan of biodiesel, but it is misleading to suggest that B5 is in some way bad for your Sprinter.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #31
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
How can that be? What displaces the spent fuel?
Diesel vapors. It surprised me as well, when I first learned about it. But think about it; that's why you get a "check engine" light when you leave the fuel cap loose; air is getting into the system that shouldn't be there.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes, but the Sprinter engine IS designed to use up to B5 (or, at least is certified to accept it safely).

I am no fan of biodiesel, but it is misleading to suggest that B5 is in some way bad for your Sprinter.

Agree that Sprinter can handle B5. I'm not suggesting it can't. It's the higher biodiesel mixes that are a potential problem. You can't avoid getting an occasional B20 fill-up, especially when driving in the Mid-West corn growing states. Personally I don't worry about it much. I just try to avoid constant use of B20 biodiesel.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Agree that Sprinter can handle B5. I'm not suggesting it can't. It's the higher biodiesel mixes that are a potential problem. You can't avoid getting an occasional B20 fill-up, especially when driving in the Mid-West corn growing states. Personally I don't worry about it much. I just try to avoid constant use of B20 biodiesel.
If you MUST use B20 in an emergency, only add a quarter tank, no more. After all, if you just use enough of it to drive to another service station and top off with dure diesel, you can dilute the B20 back down to B5 or less.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 09:34 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Has anyone hooked up the radio to the truck voltage rather than the house battery?

Today my radio quit working because the house battery was low. Lesson learned about keeping the house battery charged but I had no GPS once the radio quit. I am thinking I would like the radio to turn on and off with the ignition key so I would be sure to always have the GPS working. I have installed many radios during my lifetime so I don't think re-wiring it would be a big deal.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:12 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Has anyone hooked up the radio to the truck voltage rather than the house battery?

Today my radio quit working because the house battery was low. Lesson learned about keeping the house battery charged but I had no GPS once the radio quit. I am thinking I would like the radio to turn on and off with the ignition key so I would be sure to always have the GPS working. I have installed many radios during my lifetime so I don't think re-wiring it would be a big deal.
Humm - my Kenwood does work with the key in the accessory position. Have to hold down the menu button for a couple of seconds to power it up. Wonder if there's a fuse gone. Check the fuse box under the driver's seat; could be fuse No 13.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:55 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post

On my 2013 the radio is powered by the Sprinter battery via the key when the Coach Battery Disconnect Switch is OFF. Yours may work differently, but its worth a try.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:58 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The 2011 w/ the MB POS radio stays on 'til you pull the key out.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
We bought the Interstate at Tom Johnson Camping at their Concord, NC location which is just down the street from the Charlotte Motor Speedway.Their main location is in Marion, NC in the western NC mountains. We have five free camping nights in their RV park and plan to use two of them tomorrow and Sunday as a shake down cruise. Out daughter lives in east TN so we plan on visiting with her and her family as well.

We have the rig packed. By Monday morning we should know what else we should bring the next time!!!
Old 10-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
The weekend trip went well. In spite of facing 30-40MPH wind gusts and driving up and over the Smokies, the fuel mileage was very good. We used all of the systems and are now much more familiar with how everything works. It was a fun weekend.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:45 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Best to you and yours. Enjoy!
Old 10-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad it went well.

Just getting out there and using it is the best way to become familiar and acclimated.

You're going to have so much fun.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
I processed some of my photos from the short trip. While the Interstate looks big in our driveway, it sure looked dinky next to those Class A's.

And here is my wife walking one of the main reasons we bought it. The dog did great but was glad to get home where there was more room to chase her toys. Piper is five months old. And the AI's name is the Pipermobile!!