Old 09-05-2014, 07:35 PM   #15
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
We just visited the Roadtrek factory on Tuesday and were informed that they have now a 2nd shift running to meet demand. And that they don't have any inventory uncommitted from dealers. And they have a backlog on dealer orders. Sold/committed dealer orders, like our new RT get priority but still run some 10-12 weeks for production.

As far as storage in the back of our prior Airstream on the extended version, we built a plywood bulkhead wall and shelf and found it was a tremendous amount of area to fill. In fact last fall when we compared the RT to the AI, the AI with the extended body won out. I wanted the RT but when we saw the increased storage, AI won. Now that RT HAS perfected the E-trek and offers the extended body, goodbye AI hello RT.

Yes the AI bath leaves a lot to be desired especially that stupid partial door that should be part of a normal, 2 door system. I never got the idea of what real purpose it served and I even had planned to make it a 2 door system prior to trading it off. Yes, AI has a nicer shower hose, big deal but offers only now a 100 watt solar, ours was 50, and only a 1000 watt-2 battery system. RT offers now standard a 3000 watt inverter and options out multiple batteries leading up to the E-trek. In fact you can order a RT with the engine generator without the full E-trek package. And with the regular RT you get a 5 year limited warranty and with the E-trek its a full 6 year complete warranty on everything, yes everything, except the Mercedes chassis itself. Yes, our batteries will have 6 years along with the macerator, water pump, AC, roof fan, TV, fridge, etc. And on their Facebook page you would be surprised how many times per day that the President of RT gets on to solve someones problem including telling them to get it fixed (5 & 6 year old units) and send him the bill. Once I decided to switch and learned about RT's Facebook page and watched and learned, it was a clear decision to switch.

And when we tried to join in the Wally club we were kinda looked upon as not really fitting in since we did not have a travel trailer. With the RT club, we are already members and have a warm regard with local members just waiting for us to join in rallies.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
What happens when you put the seat flat to make the bed? Just curious how that works if that space is filled up with things.

The extended vans have same bed as regular lounge. It then has these fold down bed extensions on each side that make bed longer like a King size. Here is photo of our back end stuff an still allowing full use of normal lounge bed.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1409966209.662353.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	748.7 KB
ID:	220909

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 08:26 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Gotta agree Mike.....the extra empty space in the rear is what pushed us to the EXT instead of a Roadtrek Etrek at that time. We have a few issues, but every motorhome has some. None of them are serious, just "gee I wish" type of things.

I do hope they are installing the battery temp probe. I did notice they are still using the bottom of the line Magnum remote, so that means no battery monitor without a modification.....and the power panel appears too crowded to accept the upgraded remote required.

I really like the larger refrigerator, and especially like the fact that I would no longer have to get on my knees to set the microwave.

Time will tell how well the new model does, but it sure looks like a step in the right direction to me.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
6) On the outside, the only thing new I spotted was the twin hot air vents forward of the water fillers. Iím guessing this means the fridge is now gas/electric - boo!
I need to correct my assumption here: I don't know why these heats vents appear as twin vents, but the fridge is NOT gas/electric, it's all electric - hooray!

The model I was looking at had an msrp of 152K.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:12 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
Who makes the all electric fridge?
Old 09-06-2014, 10:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Didn't see a name on the fridge, but I did notice the handles and locking catch were the same as the Nova Kool in my Interstate. So I think it's a Nova Kool.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 09-30-2014, 01:15 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
More on the Grand Tour after another visit to the dealer yesterday:

The 2 batteries and breaker panel are actually located above the driver side wheel well. So by lifting up the inward facing seat and removing the front of the seat base, you can get to the batteries pretty easily.

Also since the area under the rear sofa is now empty (you can open the door under the sofa where the breaker used to be, and look right through), then it would be easy for them to offer a twin bed option.

The dealer had a Grand Tour with the optional sliding door and rear door screens fitted:
The sliding door screen looks pretty robust with 2 aluminum frames, the rear part being to cover the area above the countertop (floor to ceiling), and the front part being the slider. It's not a retractable style, it just slides back over the rear part and can stop in any position. It didn't look that elegant to me but the simple frame and the way its bolted in will probably ensure it has a longer life.
The rear door screen is quite different in that it's built into a laminated frame at the sides and slides down from a box hung under the rear overhead storage bin. And this one is electrically controlled by a small remote.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	223272   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	223273  

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	223274   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	223275  

Old 09-30-2014, 06:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Thanks - looks like Airstream is keeping up with competition.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
I really liked the screen door. It is curved top to bottom to match the shape of the door opening. It feels much sturdier than the roll up or fold up screens - like a real screen door.

I called my dealer to see if I could have it fitted to my 2014.5 AI. It is specific to the Grand Tour, but Airstream is working with the manufacturer to see if a retrofit could be made. I hope so - nicest screen door I've seen on a class B.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
Screen look great hope it is retrofittable.
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 01-10-2015, 09:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Interesting. One by one, it seems that all of the manufacturers are inching toward this layout, with the "high stuff" on the driver's side so as not to block the view of the campsite. Makes sense. It is remarkably similar to our new GWV Legend. Still no tri-fold bed or screen door (yet), though. Great West pioneered this layout years ago, and it was cloned by Advanced RV. I bet in a few years all of the manufacturers will offer this layout. It really does make sense for a lot of people.

As usual, the Airstream-designed interior is very stylish.

You are right about the systems. In this day and age, I would have expected a compressor fridge and diesel heat/water, especially at this price point.
I am new to class B. What's the advantage of a compressor fridge as compared to an electric/propane unit?
Old 01-10-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Main advantage is they don't require to be perfectly level like the propane refers. Also no need to keep propane on and they are much more efficient on 12v DC.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Also, they cool faster and in general behave more like your household fridge.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:11 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I believe the Grand Tour uses a DC/AC fridge.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote