Old 10-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
New Airstream Interstate DIY blog

Hi everyone! My husband and I bought a 2007 Airstream Interstate (AI) just about a month ago, with plans to do a lot of maintenance, upgrades, and customization ourselves.

In conjunction with this, we decided to blog our progress. We plan to distill the best of the collective wisdom that we find in the forum threads with our own efforts to create guides that are rich in step-by-step detail, photos, and humor (let’s not forget humor). This will be a noncommercial blog – no advertisements, no commercial bias, and we are not in it to make any profit from anyone.

THE INTERSTATE BLOG

Thus far, I’ve published posts describing replacement of our AI’s electrical converter, improving the steering wheel, tips on purchasing a used AI, and other general info. We are in the process of doing a complete overhaul of the grey water system and I will have a detailed upcoming post on how we upgraded that plumbing. Grey water leakage is a persistent problem on some older AIs (we discovered only after purchasing our AI that our lines were not just leaking – they had sheared off the tank entirely).

We are not new to DIY and not new to blogging, but we are new to the AI, and so we expect to make mistakes and miss things despite our forum and internet research. We welcome any and all feedback from more experienced folks so that we can improve our efforts.

And thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for the wealth of information presented in this forum. We’ve only owned our AI for a month and the forums have already helped us sooooo much.

Alison & Lawrence
League City, Texas (also interested in corresponding with other AI owners in the greater Houston area)

Old 10-21-2014, 06:38 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Nice blog! I look forward to following along!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Old 10-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Very interesting.

Is there a way to sign up for e-mail notice of new postings?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
The differences between the 2007 and earlier models compared to newer models are substantial, so the blog is a welcome addition to the Airstream Interstate online presence. Older models seem to be under-represented, except for veteran owners like Maggie (posting here as Doug&Maggie).

I'll be following the blog as well, because while some of the things you're doing to your 2007 won't work for my 2012, there will undoubtedly be plenty of things you guys do that fire up my imagination, that I could adapt for mine.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Congrats on your AI and great job on your blog. You are so right about the Airstream style and not seeing myself in one of those other "ugly" RVs
Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Good question... I think it might be possible if you have a Gmail account but I am not the strongest tech person so I'm not sure. I am going to try to backfill same-topic posts to threads that are already in this forum (and the Sprinter forum, and the Class B forum where AIs are sometimes discussed). Occasionally when we hit upon an issue or solution or problem that we think is common to many model years of AI's, I will start a new thread here (I have several of those in my mental queue already). From time to time I may create a linkpost in this forum so that folks can see new topics without being burdened by multiple new threads in which they have no interest. .... Thanks! Alison.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

2008 34' Classic
GATES MILLS , Ohio
have you run into problems with the engine light coming on, getting it repaired and having the engine come on again.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:44 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Welcome to the Air Forums.

You'll probably get more views if you start a new thread in whatever section you fit in. This is the Airstream Interstate section.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote