Old 11-29-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Buckles View Post
Learned that the buzzer for the awning works.
I found when I had a problem w/ the buzzer not shutting off, even at full retraction, that by bending the leaf on the microswitch outward, it would shut off all the time. It can be found by extending the awning about ten inches and it's at the rear of the housing. Also as I found, you have to make sure the awning is fully retracted.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Pensacola Beach , Florida
Anyone had a problem with the ignition key not (won't) turning? I'm parked in my own driveway, so danger and not stuck somewhere. Tried calling Mercedes they are talking tow needed to the dealer. I'll have that taken care of on Monday if solution not found before then. We tried turning the steering wheel hard with the brake pressed and key at the same time. Tried running the generator and pressing the assist button on dash for 60 seconds. Key will still not turn. Having one of those days.

Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Anyone had a problem with the ignition key not (won't) turning? I'm parked in my own driveway, so danger and not stuck somewhere. Tried calling Mercedes they are talking tow needed to the dealer. I'll have that taken care of on Monday if solution not found before then. We tried turning the steering wheel hard with the brake pressed and key at the same time. Tried running the generator and pressing the assist button on dash for 60 seconds. Key will still not turn. Having one of those days.
Are your front wheels turned slightly either direction?
Remove the key. Now slightly move the wheel back an forth. The intent is to get the column lock pin out of a bind or allow it to go to a fully locked position. Now, while inserting and turning the key, pull the wheel one direction slightly. This has worked for me on this and some customer cars. I own an automotive repair shop that works on BMW, Mini and Mercedes automobiles. They occasionally jam because the wheels are not parked in a 'straight ahead' position.
Let me know if this worked for you.
Road Jager
Old 12-08-2012, 05:32 PM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Possible causes:
1 - Do you have keys for another vehicle on the same keyring? The Mercedes key contains an RFID chip. If you put a key for any other vehicle next to the ignition, even with the Mercedes key IN the ignition, the sensor picks up BOTH keys and locks the ignition;
2 - Some vehicles have a steering wheel lock. Don't know if the Sprinter does or not. If so, jiggle the wheel as far as you can in each direction as you turn the key. No need to press the brake while doing this.
3 - Won't start if it's not COMPLETELY in Park. Jiggle the shift lever and push it up as far as it will go, then try the key again.
4 - As a check, turn on the headlights. Do they light up? If not, you may be too low on power to start the engine. When the main battery is depleted, the key won't turn because there's not enough juice for the sensor to read the RFID chip in the key. There is a relay that isolates the house and starter batteries when either one gets too depleted, to prevent the other from getting depleted too. When that relay opens, you can't use the house system to supplement the starter battery. The relay connecting the two systems only helps if the starter battery is low, not when it's dead.
5 - If the battery is dead, a jump-start could work. Once you're getting power from the other vehicle, the key should turn.

I have no idea what you mean by the "assist button on the dash." I've never seen such a button on mine. Is that something new for 2013?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:50 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Thanks for the replies everyone, still no luck turning the key.

I think that the battery assist button (switch) is new for 2013. It's located on lower left side of dash.

I have noticed that the P on the shifter lights up every time I put the key in the ignition. Only sometimes does the mileage and time of day lights come on located in the center of the dash.

I have tried all suggestions and more including different keys. I have not ride checking the battery terminals. Guess that wouldn't hurt to rule that out.

Sure glad we're not on the road.

Thanks again
Old 12-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Only sometimes does the mileage and time of day lights come on located in the center of the dash.
That's a problem in itself. It should come on (with total miles displayed) even before you put the key in; it comes on with the dome light when you open the door. At least mine does. Probably indicative of a bad connection somewhere, but unless you want to take the dashboard apart, best to leave that to the pros.

For do-it-yourself fixes, Sprinter manual, page 241, indicates that 25A Fuse #2 in the fuse relay box(under-dash) panel is for the ignition lock. Check and see if it's blown. Also check 10A Fuse #3, ignition switch fuse.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-09-2012, 10:36 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Thanks again for assistance. I checked all fuses, all were good. At least I'm learning more about where everything is. Guess this all part of the journey. Very frustrating though.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Well, next thing to consider, you shouldn't take it back to the Airstream delaer for an ignition problem. It will need to go to a Mercedes dealer who handles Sprinters since it's still under warranty. Looks like Mercedes Benz of Mobile is the closest Sprinter dealer to Pensacola.

While it's there, mention the intermittent message center on the dashboard, too.

Now, if your RV insurance covers towing, you're all set. They'll have to put it up on a flatbed to tow it, but at 9'8" tall, putting the Interstate up on a flatbed will top the load out right around 14 feet, so the flatbed tow will still be legal, not an oversized load.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Ours will not start unless the gear shift is in Park, also sometimes the steering wheel needs a hard turn to make sure it is locked---won't start unless the steering wheel is locked. ??

Maggie
Old 12-09-2012, 12:02 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Well at this point guess I'll wait till in the morning and call the dealer in Mobile. Don't know how towing happens with steering locked and not able take out of park.
I did receive Coach-Net through Airsteam for 2 years so I have been told and I think they will take care of towing I hope.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:14 PM   #25

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Well at this point guess I'll wait till in the morning and call the dealer in Mobile. Don't know how towing happens with steering locked and not able take out of park.
I did receive Coach-Net through Airsteam for 2 years so I have been told and I think they will take care of towing I hope.
Hopefully they'll be able to pull a flatbed tow truck right up to your bumper, and will only have to drag it one Sprinter-length in a straight line to get it loaded. They might disconnect the driveshaft to allow the rear wheels to turn for loading onto the flatbed. Or you might suggest that if they don't think of it themselves.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 12-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Oops, sorry, didn't read carefully.

Must be very frustrating for you.

Maggie
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post

Oops, sorry, didn't read carefully.

Must be very frustrating for you.

Maggie
I think that using the word "frustrating" might be an understatement at this point.
RV made it to the service center after closing on Monday 12-10-12. Parts were ordered, installed and RV is still no more repaired than when malfunction first occurred on 12-8-12. Same issue. Service center called this morning 12-14-12 informed me more parts have been ordered that might correct issue with key not working. They hope to have the parts in Monday 12-17-12.
So much for this weekends event that's been in the planing for months.
I don't really have that warm and fuzzy feeling today about the way my first RV issue has gone. RV has 3191 miles on it. We have had it one month one week.
I keep telling myself, this would be worse if we were on a trip.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:03 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
I think that using the word "frustrating" might be an understatement at this point.
RV made it to the service center after closing on Monday 12-10-12. Parts were ordered, installed and RV is still no more repaired than when malfunction first occurred on 12-8-12. Same issue. Service center called this morning 12-14-12 informed me more parts have been ordered that might correct issue with key not working. They hope to have the parts in Monday 12-17-12.
So much for this weekends event that's been in the planing for months.
I don't really have that warm and fuzzy feeling today about the way my first RV issue has gone. RV has 3191 miles on it. We have had it one month one week.
I keep telling myself, this would be worse if we were on a trip.
It could be much worse, so keep that attitude.

Seems to be a really bizarre problem IMO.

If you are not already, I think you should have someone in the service department at Jackson Center in the loop on this. They should be working to help get this resolved.

Good luck, keep the faith, and keep us posted.

Maggie