Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-01-2017, 07:19 AM   #121
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
That looks cool. We still have the OEM radio because I have not had time to research the Next Thing. OEM radio is called Poltergeist Radio at this point because it is on its last legs and will randomly spit out and swallow CDs on a schedule of its own random choosing. I might get 3 songs before my old disc is puked forward. Then 15 minutes later, without warning, it’ll suck it back in and I’ll get a few more.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:42 AM   #122
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
The original had already been replaced by a JVC. It functioned just fine but those little tiny buttons with text so small I needed a microscope to see. Plus figuring how to swtich things when I could see the buttons was a pain.

This has nice big ‘virtual’ buttons and even some ‘regular’ ones that are much larger. Easy to change between sources, tune, loads of presets and other pretty neat features (large buffer for XM).
It wasn’t cheap, but it fit and I just had to move my GPS a little so the screen didn’t block it when up. It works fine with the screen down, but limited controls and no display then.
It has options for backup camera, and can use Pandora and Waze from your phone (I haven’t tried that out)

You can have my JVC if you want a freebie one.

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I forgot a link
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130330....html?tp=20217
Old 12-02-2017, 07:39 AM   #124
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
The USB on this unit is on the rear, but they include a cable to bring it out into the cab area.
I bought several ‘blank’ switch cover plates, so I put some of my old dental tech skills into cutting a square hole into the plate and fit the USB end. You can just see it in the pic. I should find a rubber cover for it I suppose when not in use.

The USB is used for firmware updates (which I did without bricking it), importing pictures for background, reading music and video and connecting smart phones. (Maybe some other stuff I don’t remember)

I did turn off the ‘auto open’ setting, since it would get confused sometimes when using the glow plug pre-heat. But that is ok, just one button push to open it. I sort of like doing it that way anyway, plus it will work just fine closed.
It will also work with their navigation expansion, but I already have a GPS so doubt I’ll even think about that. The Waze in addition to the dedicated GPS might be worth a go (although so far I don’t particularly like Waze, but maybe I will more if it works from that larger screen?- or mess with it more).

I have not moved my XM antenna yet. I was going to pop a hole in the roof, although routing is rather challenging. But I couldn’t find my special body hold saw (heck, maybe I never had one and it was just the ones from work I was thinking about). But it works where it is, just not ideal. (Above the windscreen on the body)

Mark
Old 03-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I finally got around to fitting my passenger seat swivel.
I have aftermarket seat heaters AND a battery under the seat- so some challenges.

I had already modified the battery tray to allow the AGM batt to sit on it’s side, allowing a larger than stock battery. But still barely enough clearance, and not enough for seat heater wires.
So I moved the tray toward the rear of the van (the floor slopes a bit, so it was lower)- this gave me several mm clearance, still not enough for wired. But a bit of re-routing and thought and I have it working great.
I didn’t repaint the battery compartment, it isn’t rusty (even though the pics look a bit like it) just stained. I cleaned, sprayed will with ACF-50 to alleviate any corrosion issues.
I do either need to move the seat forward a bit, or open the door to swivel, but nice and smooth and locks well. I also have to move where I have my blocks (to go under the hydraulic jacks if the ground is too low). But I think I could remove several of those (I rarely need more than a couple) and then wouldn’t even need to move it. (Note I could have mounted the jacks lower, but I was worried about clearance, so it is a good comprimise)

I have not driven with it, but it seems very stabil and firm, so I’m hoping no rattling or anything.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	49F41D26-60D8-409D-9C50-CED950634D4C.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	370.9 KB
ID:	306729   Click image for larger version

Name:	8CD05AEA-578D-4CA4-B262-370E152B88BA.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	339.1 KB
ID:	306730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	624D1C49-50AA-46A4-83E0-5906597D018B.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	306731   Click image for larger version

Name:	6522B75C-2DEC-4ACF-B0CF-B28D8B30149C.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	332.2 KB
ID:	306732  

Old 03-21-2018, 09:12 AM   #126
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I finally got around to installing the Fox rear dampers I got from Agile Off-Road.
Can’t believe it took me so long- it was really pretty easy (use levelers to Jack up the van, install jack stands- use air gun to remove nuts)

I’ll post up some impressions. The ones I removed looked stock- said Mercedes Benz on them.
Mark
Old 03-21-2018, 11:24 AM   #127
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Just took it out for a spin around town.
The Fox dampers are a huge improvement in low speed driving. Getting off angled driveways, around 90ş city turns and all the stuff that would tend to get the rig rocking is completely gone. Very well damped.

I have not had it out on the highway or faster roads, but my biggest complaint was the slow stuff. The airbags I have probably made the rocking worse (even though they are not connected to each other).

mark
Old 03-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #128
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
I didn't see any products on their site for a first gen van.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #129
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
I didn't see any products on their site for a first gen van.
I had to contact them directly to get the Fox Dampers- and they were not in stock at the time.

Mark

EDIT:
The below was when I thought you mean the BigFoot levelers. But I see you really mean the Fox dampers:

There is not anything for the T1N vans.
The previous owner had it fitted. Then someone removed the jacks (leaving everything else). So I bought new jacks and refitted them. Works very well. The original jacks were no longer made, so I couldn’t mount them with quite as much throw as ideal- but it has good clearance and a couple of blocks below the jacks takes up the slack in a few seconds
I quite like the setup, BUT I don’t know if I would have fitted if not already on it due to cost.

Mark
Old 03-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #130
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
The house water pump on my van was a little noisy- so I decided to replace it now before the big trip. Not very much $$ for the updated version.
It also had quite rigig tubing from the water tank and to the system lines- so any vibration seemed to cause noise in the lines.
I wanted to install a pre-filter (it didn’t have one) and have something so I could easily connect to an antifreeze tank and pump antifreeze through the lines if I want (without getting into the water tank).

So I made up some flexible water lines going to and from the new pump with filter. Turned the unit 90ş and everything lined up well. Nice and quiet now with better pressure.

Next, to finally fit the Tri-metric monitor other uses here so kindly gave me.

Mark
Old 03-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #131
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Next, to finally fit the Tri-metric monitor other [users] here so kindly gave me.

Mark
This made me chuckle because yet another forum user asked me for it yesterday. I reported that it had already been mailed out to someone else by my husband, or else I would send it to them.

The Great Parts Collaboration, a la pay it forward. We've got an engine part (a hose) that someone else had mailed to *us* that we haven't installed yet. Before summer, that thing has to get installed.

Also, I'm mildly interested in a front hitch receiver. I certainly don't have to have it, but every time I see one of those hammock hangers on the front bumper, I get curious. Like maybe an open receiver would be good to have for emergencies too, given that we have a permanent carrier already mounted on the rear.

Husband reminded me that we already have not one, but two, spare hitch receivers out in the garage. Until we get our plans sorted out, I won't be mailing away either of those.
Old 03-24-2018, 03:59 PM   #132
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
The house water pump on my van was a little noisy- so I decided to replace it now before the big trip. Not very much $$ for the updated version.
It also had quite rigig tubing from the water tank and to the system lines- so any vibration seemed to cause noise in the lines.
I wanted to install a pre-filter (it didn’t have one) and have something so I could easily connect to an antifreeze tank and pump antifreeze through the lines if I want (without getting into the water tank).

So I made up some flexible water lines going to and from the new pump with filter. Turned the unit 90ş and everything lined up well. Nice and quiet now with better pressure.

Next, to finally fit the Tri-metric monitor other uses here so kindly gave me.

Mark
Mark,

Which pump did you use? Ours is very noisy too.

John
Old 03-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Mark,

Which pump did you use? Ours is very noisy too.

John
This pump is slightly taller, but replacing the hoses with flex hoses- it worked just fine.
I bought two 1/2” pipe to 1/2” barb fittings in brass locally- that was all I needed. (Well, clamps too).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 03-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #134
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
This made me chuckle because yet another forum user asked me for it yesterday. I reported that it had already been mailed out to someone else by my husband, or else I would send it to them.

The Great Parts Collaboration, a la pay it forward. We've got an engine part (a hose) that someone else had mailed to *us* that we haven't installed yet. Before summer, that thing has to get installed.

I very much appreciate the monitor etc.
I should have installed it months ago! It got cold for while, so I didn ‘they around to it.
Should be Monday now (riding tomorrow)
Old 03-24-2018, 04:26 PM   #135
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
This pump is slightly taller, but replacing the hoses with flex hoses- it worked just fine.
I bought two 1/2” pipe to 1/2” barb fittings in brass locally- that was all I needed. (Well, clamps too).

I put the E65 in our trailer, nice pump. Be sure you don’t have any 90 degree turns right at the pump. They recommend that you go straight in. Thanks for the links.

Jihn
Old 03-24-2018, 10:13 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I used 90° connectors, but they are full size with no ‘necking down’.

Factory had a 90° with small diameter and pretty rigid pipe.

I could look at changing it to straight through, but would take a bit more doing to make it work.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:11 AM   #137
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
I used 90° connectors, but they are full size with no ‘necking down’.

Factory had a 90° with small diameter and pretty rigid pipe.

I could look at changing it to straight through, but would take a bit more doing to make it work.
Might have been the different model. I couldn't see where it would make any difference.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I finally got to a few service/add on jobs.
I replaced the front rotors and brake pads and flushed the front brakes (I’m haven’t some issues finding a 534F code and thought I’d at least take care of that part).
The pad were starting to crack and the rotors were pretty warn.

Then I finally installed the Tri-Metric monitor IB and LB gave me. It was quite easy and will be nice to have a more thorough way to monitor.

Next need to ‘pin out’ the ABS unit, fabricate the aluminum table to replace the factory one and a fe more little jobs.

Mark
Old 04-03-2018, 05:37 AM   #139
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Curious... how many miles are on your rig now?

Reportedly, the T1Ns are supposed to have some sort of alert mechanism to warn of needed brake work. But it doesn't always function as intended. Project Amber (an Instagrammer) found this out the hard way when he unexpectedly discovered his entire brake system to be totally shot.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:40 AM   #140
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
It does have pad wear warning- a small wire goes to a ‘sensor’ on the pad that when the pad wears out, it will contact the rotor and turn on the light.