Old 08-04-2019, 10:01 AM   #309
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
It's sad to hear about all the problems with the new 19's. Might be ok to have problems on a used Airstream "b" like the one I bought. Not fun, but a learning experience and the satisfaction of doing my own repairs (with the help of this forum) since it was out of warranty.

But if I'd paid 2X the amount for a new one and needed so many (sometimes repeated) trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, I wouldn't be as forgiving as many of you are.

I will also add that quality on Airstream motorhomes appears to have slipped significantly in the past 6-7 years if my Avenue is any example. The cabinetry work was impeccable. No chips, misfitting cabinets or doors, no stripped screws anywhere. Less technology, sure, but it works and only real thing the older models lacked was a couple of central command touchpads.

Airstream is getting premium prices for their products and, high demand or not, are not producing the quality they are being paid for. How much could it cost to add a few quality inspectors? For the reduction in back-end warranty repairs, it would be money well spent.

rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #310
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
How much could it cost to add a few quality inspectors? For the reduction in back-end warranty repairs, it would be money well spent.
ROWIEBOWIE - I am the quality inspector of my AI. To date, I have fixed 90% of major/minor problems and I had rectified/performed 100% of all quality improvements. AS pays me $0 for my services. They consider that (no)money well spent

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:46 PM   #311
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
ROWIEBOWIE - I am the quality inspector of my AI. To date, I have fixed 90% of major/minor problems and I had rectified/performed 100% of all quality improvements. AS pays me $0 for my services. They consider that (no)money well spent
I can't understand why you're not willing to wait months for an appointment, take a week out of your life, and drive 3000 miles round trip to the mother ship for warranty repairs.

And as others pointed out, even then you may get a replacement with the same less than satisfactory part that failed once already. The other alternative is a waiting weeks for a local dealer to repair, but many do not have a local dealer they trust.

Probably more satisfying your way and ultimately cheaper in some cases. Still no excuse for the quality issues we're hearing.

P.s - I can take apart an Airstream just as good as you can. It's putting it back together where I run into problems.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #312
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
I can't understand why you're not willing to wait months for an appointment, take a week out of your life, and drive 3000 miles round trip to the mother ship for warranty repairs.
ROWIEBOWIE -
My next rv will be built by upfitters either in NV, CA, UT or AZ, all within a 5 hr drive radius
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 05:11 PM   #313
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
But what would we all do with ourselves between trips if we didn't have things to repair or improve upon?!?!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 08:22 PM   #314
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
And how would I manage to keep the Overkill Engineering department busy???
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:36 AM   #315
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
It's sad to hear about all the problems with the new 19's. Might be ok to have problems on a used Airstream "b" like the one I bought. Not fun, but a learning experience and the satisfaction of doing my own repairs (with the help of this forum) since it was out of warranty.

But if I'd paid 2X the amount for a new one and needed so many (sometimes repeated) trips to the dealer for warranty repairs, I wouldn't be as forgiving as many of you are.

I will also add that quality on Airstream motorhomes appears to have slipped significantly in the past 6-7 years if my Avenue is any example. The cabinetry work was impeccable. No chips, misfitting cabinets or doors, no stripped screws anywhere. Less technology, sure, but it works and only real thing the older models lacked was a couple of central command touchpads.

Airstream is getting premium prices for their products and, high demand or not, are not producing the quality they are being paid for. How much could it cost to add a few quality inspectors? For the reduction in back-end warranty repairs, it would be money well spent.

I agree. AS is cutting its own throat. We will go elsewhere at this rate for our next build. They don’t care.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:55 AM   #316
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
drpeggau:
What do you have in mind for the 'elsewhere' that you would go to? We looked at several brands before purchasing our AI, and Airstream had the best fit and finish - which does not necessarily translate into overall quality but it was all I had to go by. Advanced RV is the only one that I am aware of that is probably higher-quality. It has a much higher price. It is custom built and even after 5 years of Class B ownership I am not sure that I know what I'd want Advanced RV to build for me.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:04 AM   #317
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
drpeggau:
What do you have in mind for the 'elsewhere' that you would go to? We looked at several brands before purchasing our AI, and Airstream had the best fit and finish - which does not necessarily translate into overall quality but it was all I had to go by. Advanced RV is the only one that I am aware of that is probably higher-quality. It has a much higher price. It is custom built and even after 5 years of Class B ownership I am not sure that I know what I'd want Advanced RV to build for me.
The humble Road is another place. I would probably use the place in Indiana near me because it is convenient. If I bought something off the line then I would probably look at pleasure way. The problem now is that it is impossible to get a 4 x 4 chassis. This is a requirement for us. Airstream has huge gaps in the screen that I tried to fix with additional weatherstripping, fairly successfully. There are many spaces where there is no insulation whatsoever. I would also want to have a Fourseason van with all the pipes and lines internal so that they wonít freeze while I am using the vehicle on a trip. I have learned a tremendous amount in the past 10 months just about the simple things. My problem is that I lack patience and did not want to wait so long for a vehicle. When I found out there was a four by four available I jumped at it. I wouldíve picked a Revel but it is a bit too primitive for my wife and the bed is too small. I originally thought that I only wanted one fuel source, that from the diesel and the batteries. However, I am very happy to have propane because it has come in handy many times. The heating system just sips the propane and it seems to last forever!
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #318
1 Rivet Member

Absecon , New Jersey
Airstream Interstate 19 2019 Problems

Sad to hear that your problems are as bad as ours. Our Shorty has been in the repair shop for 35 days now! The service people canít resolve the faulty CZone.
My response....if it cannot be repaired, it should be replaced.
Robkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 AM   #319
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robkhoo View Post
My thoughts on the 2019 Airstream Interstate 19....shorty.
https://happycampersairstream19.video.blog/
What They Donít Tell You When You Buy An Airstream Motorhome

Nicely rendered. Shades of ClassBWarned, which is an analogous blog effort by a Roadtrek owner who has had nothing but problems.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #320

2016 19' International
La Mesa , California
Great info on this thread about the Nineteen. Is the Nineteen 4x4 single rear wheel since it's built on the Sprinter 2500 platform? And do the 24 foot Interstate 4x4's have dual rear wheels? Like to avoid dual rear wheels since we'd want to do a super single conversion. Dual rear wheel struggles in sandy places like Anza Borrego and rocks like to get stuck between them tearing the tires apart.

Surprised to see some many quality issues with the Nineteen. Are the 24 foot interstates more ironed out or do they have similar issues. Hate to get a RV that took so much work and trips to the dealer to get sorted out. If it's that bad we'd consider Sportmobile.
dylanmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:17 PM   #321
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Great Falls , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robkhoo View Post
Sad to hear that your problems are as bad as ours. Our Shorty has been in the repair shop for 35 days now! The service people canít resolve the faulty CZone.
My response....if it cannot be repaired, it should be replaced.
That totally sucks. I'm hopeful that our time spent at mother ship will solve all of our issues. Fingers crossed they resolve your czone issue... seems like if they can't solve it... they should just replace it!
JoanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #322
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Great Falls , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanmitchel View Post
Great info on this thread about the Nineteen. Is the Nineteen 4x4 single rear wheel since it's built on the Sprinter 2500 platform? And do the 24 foot Interstate 4x4's have dual rear wheels? Like to avoid dual rear wheels since we'd want to do a super single conversion. Dual rear wheel struggles in sandy places like Anza Borrego and rocks like to get stuck between them tearing the tires apart.

Surprised to see some many quality issues with the Nineteen. Are the 24 foot interstates more ironed out or do they have similar issues. Hate to get a RV that took so much work and trips to the dealer to get sorted out. If it's that bad we'd consider Sportmobile.
19 is single wheel. I'm not an expert on the longer one, but i think it's also single wheel. It's definitely that bad. But... we do love it!

JoanB is offline   Reply With Quote