Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 11:23 PM   #181
2 Rivet Member

Dataw Island , South Carolina
Latest message from Airstream

[QUOTE=skiphoyt;2177755]Same issue here with the A/C only running on one speed ‘blasting’! Was my first call to Colonial techs and was told to leave fan on auto and it would adjust the fan speed. This did not work due to the faulty location of the thermostat sensor directly above the czone panel. This panel gives out much heat and falsely shows a cabin temperature close to 90 degrees even when it is actually 68 degrees so A/C NEVER slowdown. I did the software update that Airstream sent to supposedly address this issue but it only slightly reduced the panel’s heat output. My thought is that either I completely disconnect this panel or relocate the sensor.

See below for message regarding ongoing problem...any other AI19 owners having same issue?

The team is looking into this matter, if a heat shield may work or a redesign of that area would be best. At this time they have not shared any further information with us.

Michael A. Varno
Airstream, Inc.
Motorized Touring Coach Owner Relations
skiphoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:56 AM   #182
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiphoyt View Post
My thought is that either I completely disconnect this panel or relocate the sensor
SKIPHOYT - I do not have a 19 but I am looking at pics I took from SoCal and did not see temp sensor above CZONE panel in aft section. So I am assuming 1 of those 2 little round things above CZONE panel by slider is the sensor. That should not be hard to move/extend temporarily rather than wait for AS to get its act together. And if one of those is the sensor, regardless of CZONE or not below it, it is not at a good location that close to a door and far away from bed area anyway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_235236.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	220.7 KB
ID:	328726   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181128_235215.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	328727  

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:19 AM   #183
2 Rivet Member

You are correct..they are mounted on the cabinet as you enter the coach through the side door. One is for the Truma furnace and the other for the A/C. Both are affected by the Czone panel heat. Quick fix for now may be to just disconnect this panel and use the one in the aft until they come up with a solution.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 AM   #184
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Disappointing that AS located these sensors in such an obviously bad spot. In certain trailer models they put the HVAC sensors in a closet right behind the television, I believe, which generated heat and gave false hot readings.

https://www.google.com/search?q=AC+s...=airforums.com

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #185
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
You are correct..they are mounted on the cabinet as you enter the coach through the side door. One is for the Truma furnace and the other for the A/C. Both are affected by the Czone panel heat. Quick fix for now may be to just disconnect this panel and use the one in the aft until they come up with a solution.
SKIPHOYT - Ok, great you confirmed this. Are you handy enough to move those sensors yourself? I would do it in a heartbeat if it was my rig, preferably on the opposite side of cabinetry under countertop extension. The Dometic sensor is behind the bigger cover held by 2 screws. The Truma sensor/cover is smaller unit, that is a push-in held by clips behind. It might have 2 wires that are spade connected or the newer that has a plug-type quick connect. You ought be able to access both by removing the drawers and move someplace temporarily, even laying on the floor would be better than directly above a heat source. From a design standpoint, even shielding the sensors from the CZONE panel would not be ideal because the surrounding cabinet material would have a considerable temp increase compared to other side of cabinetry. These sensors are not only going to react to ambient air temp but also the mounting surface temp. So it can not be near doors or windows that have erratic temp fluctuations. I personally prefer the sensors mounted on cabinet face-frame facing the center aisle right underneath counter height since that is the "sleeping height level" and is ambient air center of rv. But that may not be available due to the drawers occupying most of that real estate. Best of luck to you.

Name:   dometic-3313107-066-thermostat-sensor-cap-cover-black-3_200x200.jpeg
Views: 328
Size:  4.3 KB

Name:   E10102.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  2.7 KB

Name:	Truma_FFC2_afstandsvoeler.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	328740
Old 11-29-2018, 12:36 PM   #186
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
SKIPHOYT - Ok, great you confirmed this. Are you handy enough to move those sensors yourself? I would do it in a heartbeat if it was my rig, preferably on the opposite side of cabinetry under countertop extension. The Dometic sensor is behind the bigger cover held by 2 screws. The Truma sensor/cover is smaller unit, that is a push-in held by clips behind. It might have 2 wires that are spade connected or the newer that has a plug-type quick connect. You ought be able to access both by removing the drawers and move someplace temporarily, even laying on the floor would be better than directly above a heat source. From a design standpoint, even shielding the sensors from the CZONE panel would not be ideal because the surrounding cabinet material would have a considerable temp increase compared to other side of cabinetry. These sensors are not only going to react to ambient air temp but also the mounting Ti g surface temp. So it can not be near doors or windows that have erratic temp fluctuations. I would like them mounted on cabinet face-frame facing the center aisle right underneath counter height since that is the "sleeping height level" but that may not be available due to the drawers occupying most of that real estate. Best of luck to you.

Attachment 328738

Attachment 328739

Attachment 328740
Great information and similar to what I was thinking. The Truma sensor does not seem to be as affected as the Dometic which makes sense. I did dentistry for 40 years so this should be an easier project than placing an implant on the upper left. I will spend some time with it tomorrow and let you know the results. All the forum members have been so welcoming to this ‘newbie’ and I thank you!
Old 11-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #187
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Disappointing that AS located these sensors in such an obviously bad spot. In certain trailer models they put the HVAC sensors in a closet right behind the television, I believe, which generated heat and gave false hot readings.
OTRA15 - one would think AS learned their lesson. Here's a pic of my sensor. While it is not above the FireFly controller (which is not as warm as a CZONE panel), it is directly behind and on top of Samsung tv (not on the pic as I was doing the bracket mod when I took this pic). The only reason I have not relocated it is because we never use that rear tv.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181129_115042.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	234.2 KB
ID:	328744  
Old 01-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #188
2 Rivet Member

The fix for the wrong placement of temperature sensors

Quote:
Airstream has been very attentive and helpful in coming up with an acceptable solution and easy fix. They sent the directions including hole size and suggested placement of the Truma and a/c sensors. They also sent a plaque to cover the holes where the sensors were removed. See picture attached...it took about an hour to relocate and I am pleased with the outcome. Thank you Colonial and Airstream for your attention to this. Wondering if the sensors on other 19’s are in the same place or since mine was an early production it had this mistake?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	74B56AAB-354F-4D12-B07B-8E71F3A5A36B.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	331470  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:49 AM   #189
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Airstream has been very attentive and helpful in coming up with an acceptable solution and easy fix. They sent the directions including hole size and suggested placement of the Truma and a/c sensors. They also sent a plaque to cover the holes where the sensors were removed. See picture attached...it took about an hour to relocate and I am pleased with the outcome. Thank you Colonial and Airstream for your attention to this. Wondering if the sensors on other 19’s are in the same place or since mine was an early production it had this mistake?
SKIPHOYT - Great that it's all worked out for you. IMHO it still would've been best if a/c and heater sensors are positioned away from big doors. That sorta the equivalent of putting stick house thermostat near the main entrance to foyer. But given the original problematic location, at least it's away from the C-Zone. And I can understand why they want the sensors close to the C-Zone panel. Nice Airstream plaque. Look like it been there from the start (had you not told us)
Old 01-11-2019, 01:44 AM   #190
2 Rivet Member

Alex AVI...agree about the compromise placement. I did search for a better location away from the large door but....too tight on the other side of the galley with the sliding drawers and didn’t want to stick them on the front panel ‘esthetics’. In the end took the easy way out figuring that in this ‘tiny house’ it was like living in the foyer. Only concern is the extra weight added with the plaque or plate cover for the previous holes, it actually is a high quality heavy piece they designed for this ��. Thanks for following my trials and tribulations and your suggestions during this adjustment time with our new addition.
Old 01-11-2019, 03:21 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:08 AM   #192
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Fusion is trash

The Fusion Infotainment System is terrible. It constantly shuts off and recycles spontaneously often making a very loud and annoying noise for several minutes first, particularly when something is plugged into the USB attachment. This is a replacement unit from the first one. Also, although it is advertised at the camper van comes with AM and FM radio, that is not true. The AM is no longer working because they removed some sort of coil when changing to this infotainment system. Overall, my satisfaction level with this infotainment system is absolutely zero! Also, the navigation is extremely primitive and in no way can compete or hold a candle to using the navigation on my iPhone. I am completely dissatisfied with it and they really need to figure out a different method or different company to use. I use AM radio all the time and it’s ridiculous that a $160,000 vehicle does not have it.
drpeggau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #193
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the Kenwood that preceded the Fusion. Within 24 hours of buying my AI, I hated the thing.

I use a large-screen Garmin trucker's GPS on top of the dash. The big advantage is that I never have to lower my eyes off the road since it shows speed in large type. With photogray glasses, the speedometer is hard to read in bright conditions. I can easily update the maps on the Garmin on my desktop computer each month.

I ripped out the Kenwood and replaced it with a Kenwood radio, CD player. Plug compatible and great human factors. Big icons and a volume knob that was just two tiny buttons on the original Kenwood.

I think that if I had the Fusion, I would do the same.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:27 AM   #194
2 Rivet Member

Agree 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
The Fusion Infotainment System is terrible. It constantly shuts off and recycles spontaneously often making a very loud and annoying noise for several minutes first, particularly when something is plugged into the USB attachment. This is a replacement unit from the first one. Also, although it is advertised at the camper van comes with AM and FM radio, that is not true. The AM is no longer working because they removed some sort of coil when changing to this infotainment system. Overall, my satisfaction level with this infotainment system is absolutely zero! Also, the navigation is extremely primitive and in no way can compete or hold a candle to using the navigation on my iPhone. I am completely dissatisfied with it and they really need to figure out a different method or different company to use. I use AM radio all the time and it’s ridiculous that a $160,000 vehicle does not have it.
Same issues with our new Fusion system...NO AM radio, just static...really need AM due to crossing our drawbridge a couple of times a day. All our local traffic and bridge information is on 14:20 AM a 24 hour stream. Gave up on the Navagation and went back to IPhone app...CarPlay would be MUCH better.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #195
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by drpeggau View Post
The AM is no longer working because they removed some sort of coil when changing to this infotainment system.

I use AM radio all the time and it’s ridiculous that a $160,000 vehicle does not have it.
Quote:
NO AM radio, just static...really need AM due to crossing our drawbridge a couple of times a day. All our local traffic and bridge information is on 14:20 AM a 24 hour stream.
DRPEGGAU & SKIPHOYT - Sorry to hear. Not sure why they did what they did, because my Fusion AM works. I feel same as you, AM is still alive & well & used for such things as you mention, not to mention some radio sports & talk shows . Even with all the options of music, lots of times when I travel long trips, talk radio is my preferred listening choice because I feel like I am conversing with someone. It is more engaging & keeps me awake. I do use all the time also.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:09 AM   #196
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Squeaky Wheel

I posted a note to my dealership in hopes that they will pass on the Fusion issued to Airstream and resolve the problem. Having Mercedes-Benz and Airstream together in no way constitutes adding Fusion to such a high-quality mix. I really hope they rectify the problem and replace our systems, otherwise, I will have to have someone figure out how to connect a better GPS and radio system for me. I am not savvy in that area. I am expecting Tesla quality at this price-point. If you have a similar issue with the radio and then please reach out to airstream as well. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and it is in their best interest to rectify this problem.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:33 AM   #197
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck
Alameda , California
There are LOTS of car stereo shops that cover this.

Though I am not sure what they will do in a 2019 build Sprinter. That one looks like it will be much harder to get the stereo swapped out. Everyone going away from the DIN or Double DIN stereo fixture. My Volvo and Tesla are stuck with their stereo for life.

-Randy
israndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:50 AM   #198
2 Rivet Member

Naperville , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by israndy View Post
There are LOTS of car stereo shops that cover this.

Though I am not sure what they will do in a 2019 build Sprinter. That one looks like it will be much harder to get the stereo swapped out. Everyone going away from the DIN or Double DIN stereo fixture. My Volvo and Tesla are stuck with their stereo for life.

-Randy

I’d take my Tesla radio over this one anytime. No popping, crackling, or spontaneous shut down and reboot, and it always works. However that huge infotainment system will not fit! Dropped the 19’ off now and we’ll see what they do.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:29 PM   #199
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
9” Touch Screen Navigation for Mercedes Sprinter, compatible with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. The system also features the cutting edge iGo Primo NextGen navigation system with TomTom maps.

Alpine introduces the 2nd generation Alpine Style system for Mercedes Sprinter (S906). The X902D-S906 features a huge 9-inch touch-screen that is installed off-set from the dashboard to be perfectly reachable from the driver’s seat. You folks that are not height and/or reach challenged may not find it important, but having it much reachable to driver is a big thing for me, those few inches make a big diff. This makes it very easy to see and control navigation maps and other functions.

Price -2530 €
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mercedes-Sprinter-Android-Auto-X902D-S906.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	166.5 KB
ID:	331697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Alpine 1 Annotation 2019-01-14 123351.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	331700