Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2019, 06:06 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I just thought of something --

We have already consumed our rear hitch, but I've thought about adding a front hitch receiver. I wonder would the front location be close enough so that the chip would read in the ignition? Probably not, but it's something I would test before using.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:06 AM   #42
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I wonder would the front location be close enough so that the chip would read in the ignition? Probably not, but it's something I would test before using.
Probably not because the front hitch receiver is a heavy steel tube, and that would be like putting the key's RFID chip inside a Faraday cage.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:30 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
I just had my first A service at Mercedes for my Interstate...came to $400. I asked for estimate on key replacement...$260 + tax and 1 hour to program and it would have to be ordered. Mercedes goes through safety and security steps so that "not just anyone" can order it
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 02:10 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Great advice; thanks!
I keep one underneath in the engine compartment ... wired in place to either a hose or the electrical harness and covered with electrical tape.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 03:57 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
I keep one underneath in the engine compartment ... wired in place to either a hose or the electrical harness and covered with electrical tape.
This is good advice. I've been told by a locksmith that the magnetic key holders are unreliable because they can get knocked off. He told me the best thing to do was to wire the key to something underneath, as you suggest. One thing I'm wondering about the engine compartment idea is, how do you get your hood open if your van is locked? I suppose you need to place the key were you can get to it from below.

If I might add a point of clarification to my earlier post:
Quote:
If you somehow manage to lock your safe, when not installed in the receiver, you can send it to the company. They have a machine that manually tries all the possible codes until it finds one.
It would be really difficult to accidentally lock your safe. You have to have the combination dialed in to lock it. I guess what I was really trying to say, if you forgot your combination you could send it back to the factory to be opened. But if you forgot your combo, and the safe was locked inside your hitch, that would be a difficult solution to pursue.

Also, I might add that I have no financial interest or connection to the hitchcock company. I purchased it on my own. I have been very happy with my purchase.
2021 25' Globetrotter FT, 2006/07 Interstate
2010 GMC 2500HD Sierra Crew 4x Diesel
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansderm161 View Post
I just had my first A service at Mercedes for my Interstate...came to $400. I asked for estimate on key replacement...$260 + tax and 1 hour to program and it would have to be ordered. Mercedes goes through safety and security steps so that "not just anyone" can order it
That would be for key + fob, which you may not need unless you lost one or it was damaged somehow.

Might have a locksmith make you a spare key-only, like the guy here did for me, should one break you can use the spare holding the fob next to it to start.

I hung the spare on the fob with the brass one he made and put into the fob.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2019, 06:35 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lakewood Ranch , Florida
When I ordered my new key I also ordered just a cut blade ($45.00) that would unlock the the doors only. My strategy is to leave the new key/fob in the coach and and hide the blade key. No worries about moisture or damage to the fob.
Brezzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 08:10 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That’s a good idea, Brezzin, and I may get an extra key just for that purpose, then hide it in one of those little magnetic boxes.

Maggie
Old 01-26-2019, 09:29 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
When I ordered my new key I also ordered just a cut blade ($45.00) that would unlock the the doors only. My strategy is to leave the new key/fob in the coach and and hide the blade key. No worries about moisture or damage to the fob.
Most Ford vehicles back in the 70's had a separate key for the doors, a copy of which was easy to keep in one's pants pocket with spare change, and in lots of other locations. [See Post #4 also]

A good insurance policy for getting locked out!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brezzin View Post
BREZZIN - Like the cut blade approach and having the spare fob hidden inside AI. Much easier to carry the spare cut blade or even hide somewhere under the chassis.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:38 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
2017 16' Sport
Flagstaff , Arizona
Whoopsie

Hey all,
New to the Airstream scene (be kind!) Yep, I'm that girl, no spare keys for our 1998 Travel Trailer Safari- lost all the keys, compartment locks, main dead bolt, the latch front door. I have been to embarrassed to come on this forum to ask for help. Yes, I called the Locksmith he opened the Masterlock deadbolt, but he couldn't open the latch front door... and if you haven't laughed enough, I just bought the Airsteam two days ago on Craigslist and the guy I purchased it from gave me all original keys and all the extra spares for the Airstream. Wait, it gets better he included all the locks for the hitch and battery box- yep, all 17 keys on one ring all gone, all because my idiotic self forgot to zip up my coat pocket zipper. I tried calling a few more places but can't figure out compartment door thickness... ( 1-1/5 7/8 1-3/8-- so overwhelmed) My husband and I have only been married two years, I don't think after this horrible thing I did, we will survive three years- let the comments rip- or the helpful suggestions begin.
Streamaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 11:58 AM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamaway View Post
Hey all,
New to the Airstream scene (be kind!) Yep, I'm that girl, no spare keys for our 1998 Travel Trailer Safari- lost all the keys, compartment locks, main dead bolt, the latch front door. I have been to embarrassed to come on this forum to ask for help. Yes, I called the Locksmith he opened the Masterlock deadbolt, but he couldn't open the latch front door... and if you haven't laughed enough, I just bought the Airsteam two days ago on Craigslist and the guy I purchased it from gave me all original keys and all the extra spares for the Airstream. Wait, it gets better he included all the locks for the hitch and battery box- yep, all 17 keys on one ring all gone, all because my idiotic self forgot to zip up my coat pocket zipper. I tried calling a few more places but can't figure out compartment door thickness... ( 1-1/5 7/8 1-3/8-- so overwhelmed) My husband and I have only been married two years, I don't think after this horrible thing I did, we will survive three years- let the comments rip- or the helpful suggestions begin.
STREAMAWAY - First of all, very sorry to hear this mishap. Second, I would be the last one to laugh or rip on you. While I have not lost that many keys at once, I have lost or temporarily misplaced some. I can empathize. Have you called Airstream? It can't be too hard for them to get this figured out. Worse case scenario drill out each lock. Sure they get destroyed, but the doors get opened. A master locksmith ought to be able to break in to any lock, surprised the one you called couldn't do it. Sure hope the marriage survives; in the grand scheme of things, there are many more worse things than this. Best of luck. And welcome to the forum. It gets better after this.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:30 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamaway View Post
... Wait, it gets better he included all the locks for the hitch and battery box- yep, all 17 keys on one ring all gone, all because my idiotic self forgot to zip up my coat pocket zipper...
STREAMAWAY - Don't beat yourself up too badly. This stuff happens. I once lost my wallet while biking home when I lived in Seattle. I didn't zip up the pocket on my cycling jacket and the wallet fell out while riding. Spent hours retracing my route but never found the wallet. Had to cancel the credit cards, replace the drivers license and other IDs.

WELCOME to AirForums!

- - Mike
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
PS -- Apologies Maggie for the Hijack of your thread.

Good luck, Streamaway.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:27 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
2017 16' Sport
Flagstaff , Arizona
Thanks - I live in Flagstaff, AZ. and called the Scottsdale- Airstream folks, gave them the VIN. So three of the compartments have "05" stamped on the lock, but the Airstream folks can't locate the "05" key or the other lock that has a "GH005". I have been trying to buy the locks on McMaster but they need to know a thickness 7/8, and since I have zero keys I was hoping someone that has a 1998 Safari would be able to assist- but I was up until 2am trying to look on this forum and other sources, but no luck yet, stay tuned. And yes, the ignorement from the husband is well... and the laugh of today- I rented a metal detector from a supply store today since we have 3 inches of snow here *yes it does snow in Flagstaff, Arizona- no dice on that either...prayed a few Saint Anthony's and I'm not that religious.. if anyone you can fast track me on a Safari 1998 travel trailer that would have some info to pass along, that would be great..
Old 02-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
2017 16' Sport
Flagstaff , Arizona
Ohh lastly, anyone ever mount a keyless pad door entry on the front door, just trying to be proactive for never locking myself out...
Old 02-13-2019, 04:56 PM   #57
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
I'm so sorry. That kind of thing is SO FRUSTRATING! I hope you guys have a laugh over this at your 25th Anniversary . . . We hang two separate sets of keys on the hooks inside the trailer door, and every time we leave, each of us takes a set. And at one time or another, EACH OF US has lost our set, at least temporarily.

Once you get into a routine with the trailer, it will all come naturally. At first, it's a little overwhelming . . . .
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:42 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I have a set of spare keys inside a push button combination lock case that is VERY securely fastened to a concealed, yet easily accessible part of the trailer structure.

I also keep spare TV keys inside the trailer, and spare trailer keys inside the TV.

Add a serious case of an OCD habit of remembering to clip my key ring to my person when I'm out and about, and we're usually good to go.

Worse case scenario, I just have to decide which window to break to get inside one of the vehicles...(grin)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #59
3 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
2021 25' Globetrotter
2007 Interstate
Little Rock , Arkansas
With reference to Streamaway’ lost keys

I share a “warehouse” with 3 other AS owners, with a total of 3 AS trailers (‘62–‘08?) and one Interstate. Our newest was asking questions as he tried to puzzle out the ways we could get water to run in our AS. I showed him where his fresh water tank fill tube door was, but his keys were not handy. On a whim I tried my ‘79 Sovereign key on his water fill door, and it opened! I can’t remember his AS year/model, but I think it might be ‘08 (?).

Then I went over to our ‘06/07 Interstate and tried the ‘79 key there, and it opened the Water door too! So find someone with an AS and try their keys!

I didn’t try the keys to outside cabinets on the ‘79 (rear locker, front 2 battery access doors) anywhere else (like the outside shower access door on the Interstate), but I will.

Point is, there appears to be some redundancy for some of the keys. As always, if you have a copy of the key you need another of, it’s always way less expensive. Even for just one key—if it reduces the cost from say (guessing) $50–100 to figure out the key to $2–3 for duplicating a key, that’s significant.
duckdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The water door key is usually a 751 key. Bog standard darn near forever...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote