Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
Need help on a new air compressor

I'm looking to purchase a new air compressor so I can use it to winterize my interstate... Any suggestions for me?
(I need one that can apply at least 60 lbs. of air pressure and be portable)
Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate1 View Post
I'm looking to purchase a new air compressor so I can use it to winterize my interstate... Any suggestions for me?
(I need one that can apply at least 60 lbs. of air pressure and be portable)
I use a Craftsman 1.5-gallon compressor that I bought at K-mart. Less, than $100. About 25 pounds. Convenient cannister shape that you can carry easily in one hand. Produces up to 150psi, with a built-in adjustable regulator.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
And you want an oil-less model so you don't contaminate the water system.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Prot - does it run on AC only? I guess you can plug it in AC outlet and run off batteries in AS in the case of wanting to add tire pressure?

Thinking about buying one - my current portable tiny compressor takes 3 min to add 5 psi from 30 to 35 psi

Would be nice to have air to blow things out - what are other benefits of such a compressor?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
For blowing out water lines, probably more important than air pressure is tank size, so that you can put a lot of air down the lines, to keep the water moving until it gets out a drain. But my experience is that even when I blow out the lines, I always still get the better part of a gallon of water flowing out through the faucets, etc. when I winterize and fill the lines with antifreeze. So - my simple minded idea is to do both ... blowing out the lines gets most of the water out, and using antifreeze protects the spots where the water still remains. It's cheap insurance, and the whole job takes less than fifteen minutes start to finish (once the fresh water tank and water heater are drained).

And running a bigger air compressor on an inverter is chancy, 'cause as they get bigger, they draw a LOT of juice. A mid-sized one perhaps not so much. So I've got a little 12v guy for tire inflation / repair, and several large 120v ones for bigger jobs such as running air tools, sandblasting, riveting, spraying, nail guns, etc. In that regard, if you ever have to do much riveting, look into an air drill. They're very high speed, and as a consequence do a very good job on making clean holes in aluminum ... especially when paired with drill bits designed for that purpose.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:23 AM   #6

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
Prot - does it run on AC only? I guess you can plug it in AC outlet and run off batteries in AS in the case of wanting to add tire pressure?

Thinking about buying one - my current portable tiny compressor takes 3 min to add 5 psi from 30 to 35 psi
Yep. 120vAc only. If I need to use it for airing up tires on my Interstate, I fire up the Interstate's on-board generator and plug into the external GFCI outlet on the curb side. I could run it off the inverter, I suppose, but I have to fire up the generator every so often anyway, so using it to air up the tires (or winterize) is no hardship.
8pc. Portable Air Compressor: Take Craftsman Power to Go with Sears

I bought one becasue my dinky little 12vDC tankless compressor won't air up my Interstate's tires to 61psi in anything less than geological time— glaciers can calve icebergs in the time it takes to air up one tire on a 12v compressor!
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Wow. I absolutely never thought of this!

Please know that I'm only going to ask this out of curiosity, not to start an arguement. Does it really matter? I realize if we lived in a pure, perfect world I wouldn't want to risk contamination, but in this case, we got to be talking "parts per million".

I probably ingest more oil working under my truck! (Thus why I really avoid working under my truck )
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Wow. I absolutely never thought of this!

Please know that I'm only going to ask this out of curiosity, not to start an arguement. Does it really matter? I realize if we lived in a pure, perfect world I wouldn't want to risk contamination, but in this case, we got to be talking "parts per million".

I probably ingest more oil working under my truck! (Thus why I really avoid working under my truck )
Any compressor with a tank should have a tank drain, so that accumulated moisture and/or oil can be removed from the tank.

Side note, the 1.5-gallon Craftsman that I use is oil-less, and has a tank drain. When I'm done with my compressor, I turn it off, then drain the tank, and leave the drain open until time to use it again.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
I have 12v compressor purchased at Northern Tool. Pulls about a dozen watts for startup. For portability, I have a 12v "jump start" battery pack.

I also have a a tank compressor for volume needed to flush lines. Of course that only happens at home for me.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
cwf...yeah, I may consider a jump pack ......which one do you have?

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Or buy and oil and water separator that goes inline with the air hose. Commonly used for painting and available at most stores that carry compressor supplies.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
When I winterize, I drain all four tanks, open the low point drains, and turn on the water heater bypass. Then I put about 3 gallons of RV antifreeze in the freshwater tank, close the low point drains, and pump through the system. I make sure that about half goes in the grey water and the other half in the black water tanks. Then I pump out both grey water and black water tanks. That way I have pumped any water out of the macerator system and its hose. Lastly I open the low point dreams again and button the system up for the winter.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Just a point of information, if you're interested. When the snowmakers are making snow on a ski hill and shut off their waterlines for a period, they blow the water line with air until the fog stops coming out the other end. If they don't, the water will accumulate in some low and freeze up. Solid. And very hard to find and thaw out.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Exactly. That's why I run RV antifreeze through the system as the last step.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
I bought a portable combo jumper box and compressor at Sams Club last year.Works great for winterizing my Airstream for blowing out the lines,plus the 12 volt jump start feature is handy to have.Wont leave the house without it......$59.00
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Rochester , Michigan
I really like the 8pc. Portable Air Compressor by Craftsman... I'm going to pull the trigger and get it. Thanks for your help!
Interstate1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
cwf...yeah, I may consider a jump pack ......which one do you have?
Howdy!
I have a Schumacher. It is similar to this
http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...04?type=search

I hope you can see it on the website. It is a sealed battery, charges on household 120v extension cord. It has status lights. All I need for running compressor. Obviously it won't run as long as a car or deep cycle battery, but I just haul it around vehicles.

Another option for air volume is a portable tank. You full with compressor then just carry it around. With adapters you can run air tools briefly if needed.

So it is compromises. Just life.

One friend installed a heavy duty compressor and tank on his truck. Just add hoses if proper length and off you go! Cost prohibitive. But he was runnin Mudder tires and woul let air out for better off road traction. When re entering hard road surface he would air up. This way while he was playing off-road the tank was being recharged. Again, compromises.

I like idea if having "another power source". Good for jump starts, filling kiddie pool toys, has built in work light, etc. you can use around house too.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I use a Craftsman 1.5-gallon compressor that I bought at K-mart. Less, than $100. About 25 pounds. Convenient cannister shape that you can carry easily in one hand. Produces up to 150psi, with a built-in adjustable regulator.
I just bought the Craftman 1.5 gallon compressor. Fantastic. Thanks Protagonist
nesoutlook is offline   Reply With Quote