Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

St amant , Louisiana
Need coffee?!?!?

So first of all thank you to all of you for your posts. We have been reading them for several months for our decision making process and now have becone owners and signed up to the forum.

Do any of y'all have a favorite "small" coffee maker that you like and fits well into our van? Need to start the day of well
SwampRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
SterlingPro Double Wall Stainless Steel French Coffee Press Maker
http://amzn.to/2vjL9s4
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #3
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
We take along a small single serving Keurig. It's the kind where you pour in one serving of water then turn it on. Works well for the two of us. It's the Keurig Model K15. Amazon has them right now for 63 bucks. Another on EBAY for under $50 shipped.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:42 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A lot depends on whether you have a Grand Tour or not. Grand Tour owners have quite a bit of leeway because they have several times the galley storage space than I have. When we had the 28' Classic trailer, we had a small drip coffee maker (gone now) that would fit easily in the Grand Tour.

Since we do not have a Grand Tour, we use instant coffee a lot of the time and we use a folding camping pour-through gadget when we want to use ground coffee. The gadget folds to about an inch thick and 4" square. We simply microwave the water and pour through. A French Press would also be fairly small.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
If you have AC power, a simple 10 cup "Mr. Coffee" works fine, if it dies no great financial loss.
We use a glass carafe, but a stainless vacuum type is better for all day coffee drinkers.
If you want a high end cup of coffee, bring a grinder and whole bean coffee, real cream & raw sugar help too. We are experimenting with 1/2 a cinnamon sticks in the grind.
I think that, unless you are a single person, only needing a singe cup of morning joe, the little kruger cup style is wasteful.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:54 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
If you have AC power, a simple 10 cup "Mr. Coffee" works fine, if it dies no great financial loss.
WayneG, your 27' trailer is a different world from our Sprinter-based Interstates. Space is like gold in our world. Think Bambi or Basecamp space in our world.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Need coffee?!?!?

A lot depends on your tastes and how much you like coffee. I've tried many different coffee makers in my Interstate. I own about a dozen different coffee makers. My favorite at home is my De'Longhi automatic expresso machine, but it's too big for the Interstate. After trying a simple drip unit, a french press, a single cup pour-over, an Aeropress, and 2-cup stove top expresso maker; I finally settled on a K-Cup machine for use in my van. The simplicity and easy cleanup of the K-cup unit is hard to beat. I got a Hamilton-Beach Flex-Brew unit that only draws 700 watts so I can even make a cup on the standard 1,000 watt inverter found on Interstates. K-Cups are widely available and easy to store in the van.

Oh - welcome to AirForums!! [emoji1]
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

texas , Texas
Stanley, the thermos company, makes a great french press coffee cup. Just add hot water, let it steep for a couple of minutes, put in the press and add the top. Leak proof, stays hot for hours and makes great coffee.
Old 08-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
WayneG, your 27' trailer is a different world from our Sprinter-based Interstates. Space is like gold in our world. Think Bambi or Basecamp space in our world.
Yes, I do have a space advantage and I have been camping small in my past.
Many folks I meet at events who are space challenged, use a french press. It is a bit of a pain to get the water to temp, but they claim it is better than a electric method.
In a pinch, with no electric I would take the filter assembly from the Mr. Coffee, heat the water on a stove or campfire, and pour it through the filter.
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:50 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We have used a French press since day 1. Have not tried any other option. We seldom are connected to shore power, and would rather use a bit of propane heating water on the stove than use the invertor for AC powered coffee maker.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:14 PM   #11
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
For me it's this kalita wave I got from a lil coffee house in Virginia. I got the real small one and it is unbreakable and tiny.
I love makin coffee with it and cleanin takes two seconds, I just dump the filter and rinse. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004W5L1XY/
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Northern California , California
I use an Aicok single cup K-cup coffee maker. Here is the link..

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But for most of the time I just buy the Starbucks Via instant coffee packets from Costco or Starbucks and make my coffee that way...The Starbucks Via are pretty good.
jldmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:01 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I use a small Keurig K15 K-cup coffeemaker. I carry a mix of Community Breakfast Blend, spiced apple cider, and mint-flavored hot chocolate K-cups for preference, usually consumed in that order over the course of a day; coffee with breakfast, cider around lunchtime, hot chocolate for after-dinner.

Now that it's just me again (the cat sticks with plain water, no flavored beverages for her) there's no point in making more than one cup of whatever hot beverage I'm drinking at the time. When I lived with my now-ex-girlfriend, we made coffee by the pot, but ended up throwing out almost half a pot almost every day. Say what you will about empty k-cups filling up landfiills, better to make only what you'll drink than to waste perfectly good coffee beans on coffee that won't be consumed.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I've been RV'ing in a class B since 2007, now for over ten years. In that time, I've done all the coffee maker choices (except I removed the multi-cup coffee makers in both my Roadtrek and Interstate and never used them, as I am the only one who drinks coffee, and that's normally limited to one cup a day).

So, I tried single cup brewers, Keurig brewers (took up too much room and used too much electricity), French Press (they should call it "French Mess" as the grounds are a mess to clean up), and after many years and lots of devices, I settled on simplicity and use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready...rip+single+cup

It makes a single cup, needs no electricity (using propane to heat the water), easy to clean, and takes up hardly any room. And the coffee it makes is ever bit as good as any fancy machine.

Boil 8 oz. water, put 2 tablespoons of your favorite blend (ground for you or grind your own), pour the water over the filter, wait two minutes, throw the filter and grounds away, and enjoy your brew! No cleanup, no space wasted, and no hassle.

Highly recommended if you are like me and only need a single cup at a time.

What could be easier?

And the filters and grounds are 100% recyclable!
Old 08-02-2017, 11:24 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
We love our Capresso single cup machine - it uses soft pods so we don't have ground coffee mess!

https://www.target.com/p/capresso-co...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:36 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Central Coast , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready...rip+single+cup

It makes a single cup, needs no electricity (using propane to heat the water), easy to clean, and takes up hardly any room. And the coffee it makes is ever bit as good as any fancy machine.

Boil 8 oz. water, put 2 tablespoons of your favorite blend (ground for you or grind your own), pour the water over the filter, wait two minutes, throw the filter and grounds away, and enjoy your brew! No cleanup, no space wasted, and no hassle.

Highly recommended if you are like me and only need a single cup at a time.

What could be easier?

And the filters and grounds are 100% recyclable!
I do the same in my Interstate and at home. Only I drink way more than one cup. Works great! Also, this guy is fantastic -

https://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-...offee+drip+gsi

Susan
Newbie2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:13 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I have plenty of room but still prefer the small single serve coffee maker. Why carry more than you need? If I don't have hookups I just do without or use instant, yuk, coffee.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Melitta 5-cup, pour-over, glass pot, carried in the box it came in. $10 from Amazon, so replacement is cheap should I break it. Makes good coffee and works anywhere I camp.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
We use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-EC-...89%3AZojirushi

Have not used it yet with just the inverter, but the instructions indicate it will draw 650 watts. It works great and stores easily.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
We love our Capresso single cup machine - it uses soft pods so we don't have ground coffee mess!
LB_3 and I must be pretty rare, because neither of us will touch coffee in any form.

But I'm a die-hard tea drinker and I'm +1 on the idea of avoiding loose coffee grounds or loose tea leaves. I brewed tea for a long time in the Interstate using the same method I use at home - with stainless steel infusers. But it was just too messy in a conserve-water scenario, so I switched to disposable tea filter bags, which to my knowledge can only be had from European and Asian sources. I've had good luck with the T-Sac brand, which comes from Germany.

In conjunction with the T-Sac bags, I picked up this clip-on spoon when we visited Magnolia Market in Waco, TX during one of our Texas-based Interstate trips. So the same spoon measures the tea but then also clips the disposable tea bag top onto the side of the cup so that it won't fall in. I wish I'd bought three of them, they are so useful. It clips to the spice rack retainer bar in our Interstate when not in use.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote