Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2018, 02:17 PM   #101
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Well, there's always Foldger's instant...

If you consider that coffee, that is.

And Tang for OJ.

Hey, if it was good enough for Neil Armstrong....
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:28 PM   #102
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Well, there's always Foldger's instant...

If you consider that coffee, that is.

And Tang for OJ.

Hey, if it was good enough for Neil Armstrong....

I know that for folks that drink regular coffee... all that I put there in my post is overkill... For me, that I only drink in the morning a strong espresso (more like a couple of ristrettos in a shot)... I got to have the tools that would make that happen...

So just sharing for those looking for a mobile/compact solution that does not require to fire up the generator just to run their espresso machines
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:34 PM   #103

Orlando , Florida
And there is nothing better than freshly squeezed sweet orange juice... Tang!!?? That takes me back to my younger years... and Kool-Aid!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kool-Aid_Man_breaking_wall_1978.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	303819  
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-09-2018, 02:45 PM   #104
1 Rivet Member

2021 20' Bambi
New Hampton , Alaska
Well I have to say this is all about coffee preference so for us we ONLY use a percolator. I know there are a lot of arguments on the “best tasting coffee” and for most coffee is simply a passion while others it is a necessity and we just cannot “brew” a better cup of joe than with our percolator. Plus we can use it anywhere.

Here is the percolator we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Here is the manual grinder we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the best piece of this is of course the coffee supplier... Coffee Bean Direct, especially for there flavored coffee beans:

https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/cof...ed-coffee.html

Highly recommend...

<><
BillingsBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:06 AM   #105
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Took the plunge and bought the Flair... matched to my Helor 101 manual grinder... and using the Gourmia GK320 Travel Foldable Electric Kettle.... freshly roasted bean (starting doing that at home recently) all this should prove to be a compact and portable setup for getting a decent shot of espresso when we are on the road...
Jinx. We are camping right now and that is exactly what we are doing. Mrs. TT like French Press so all I have to do a dial back the Porex 4 clicks. FWIIW I've been roasting my first blend which is outstanding. The blend is Ethiopique from Sweet Maria's. Roast is to the beginning of second crack. I'd call it FC++ Yowza. I have to say the process and clean up for Flair is cake. Good choice
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:54 PM   #106
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Clifton , Virginia
My Nespresso is always plugged in.

Name:	IMG_8783.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	280.1 KB
ID:	304020Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8785.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	304021
cjrdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #107

Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrdad View Post
My Nespresso is always plugged in.
GrandTour of course... lucky owner with so much cabinet space
WBCCI #26769
Old 02-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #108
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I'm not a coffee snob. I had a Keurig for years until I cleaned it and it never worked again. The coffee was always too weak, but that's the price I paid for convenience.
Now, I've been getting my morning cup of coffee by using a french press. It's okay.
But let's be honest, I want the flavor of going to Starbuck's and ordering cup of Sumatra. Bold!
I can't get that at home. (no, Starbucks beans in the grocery store don't make the same cup as you get at Starbuck's locations.)

Anyone come close? What's your secret?
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #109
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollysdad View Post
I'm not a coffee snob. I had a Keurig for years until I cleaned it and it never worked again. The coffee was always too weak, but that's the price I paid for convenience.
Now, I've been getting my morning cup of coffee by using a french press. It's okay.
But let's be honest, I want the flavor of going to Starbuck's and ordering cup of Sumatra. Bold!
I can't get that at home. (no, Starbucks beans in the grocery store don't make the same cup as you get at Starbuck's locations.)

Looks like we can add coffee techniques to the Tires, Hitches and TV category.

My approach, I'm making coffee for us and and guests or visitors and always remembering that were camping, so no electric anythings.

Mollysdad, keep your eyes open for a drip-o-lator style pot. Many manufacturers made them and today we used one made by Kitchen Kraft but if the gang is a bit larger I'll get out the West Bend Kwik Drip 18 cup.

These do a good job and look art deco cool too boot.

Now comparing tastes, my hitch is the best.

A cool old school video

And I have 3 of those Pyrex percolators, they run great on an old Coleman stove.

Your tastes will vary.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:59 PM   #110
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
(no, Starbucks beans in the grocery store don't make the same cup as you get at Starbuck's locations.)
I'm here for ya.
https://www.peets.com/coffee/feature...s/sumatra.html
Order that and make it as strong as you like.
You're welcome.
OR, try the Sumatran Batik Peaberry, which I'm fairly certain is the very best coffee I've ever tasted.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #111
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eugene , OR
Quote:
... Tang!!?? That takes me back to my younger years... !
ohmigod. flashback.
Back in the 1990s I made a few backcountry wilderness trips with a horse pack string with a guy who'd been doing it for 40+ years. He was beyond anal about everything being lightweight and compact. Including the nightly cocktails. In a super lightweight aluminum thermos he'd mix Everclear and Bacardi 151. And he'd bring a jar of Tang. He'd get water from the creek, boil it in a pan over the fire, add enough Tang to choke a person, then mix THAT about half and half with the thermos contents. Knock you right on your bum and you didn't even see it coming.
KellyAndersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:09 PM   #112
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Seaside Park , New Jersey
Hard to beat a Chemex setup. Boil water and pour over. At home or on the road chemex is my preference.
Southtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:51 AM   #113
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:

French press makes one of the finest cups of coffee you can get. You are 3/4 of the way there. Go to Starbucks, since you like their beans, and ask them to grind for french press. Adjust the amt. you put in the press depending on how strong you like it.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:26 AM   #114

Orlando , Florida
Happy to report that this works... just provide your preferred method to boil the water... still fine tuning the grind but first few shots were better than anything else I have used. The home espresso machine is still a notch better, but this is very close to it. Happy camper.

You see a lot of parts because I got the kit that comes with two brewing heads. So that I can make hers and his quickly and then worry about clean up.

17 grams of coffee seems to be the right amount to leave the needed space for the top screen.

And once you are done, it stores all neatly inside the carrying case... compact enough to take anywhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1391.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	304126   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	304127  

WBCCI #26769
Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 AM   #115
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Both my wife and I are particularly fussy about our coffee. We have used French presses, pod types and a number of pour over types. All make good coffee if you learn to use them well. We are now on our favorite and perhaps final iteration of the coffee-on-the-go setup. We have used the single cup Moccamaster brewer for some 3 years now, both at home and on the road. The weak link was always finding the “grind” you wanted while on the road. At home we use our burr grinder but it was too large and messy to contemplate traveling with in our Bambi.
The company Handground utilized a Kickstarter campaign and they actually created the perfect solution for us! It has proven to be the perfect companion to our Cup One Coffeemaker and coffee has never ever been so consistently perfect!!!
Bruce

PS the photos of the grinder are of the coffeemaker and grinder this morning. As soon as I finish this post I will enjoy my second cup.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	186FB087-9F8D-4D6B-B2AD-4A2082465BC4.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	249.2 KB
ID:	304128   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFA5FAFD-EA0C-4A6A-A30C-A1C4AF185FA3.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	304129  

Old 02-12-2018, 05:39 AM   #116
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Same here, 17 grams is perfect. I've got nothing to add seems like you are on it. Tuning the grind is everything for me.

Quote:
Happy to report that this works... just provide your preferred method to boil the water... still fine tuning the grind but first few shots were better than anything else I have used. The home espresso machine is still a notch better, but this is very close to it. Happy camper.

You see a lot of parts because I got the kit that comes with two brewing heads. So that I can make hers and his quickly and then worry about clean up.

17 grams of coffee seems to be the right amount to leave the needed space for the top screen.

And once you are done, it stores all neatly inside the carrying case... compact enough to take anywhere.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:39 AM   #117
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillingsBB View Post
Well I have to say this is all about coffee preference so for us we ONLY use a percolator. I know there are a lot of arguments on the “best tasting coffee” and for most coffee is simply a passion while others it is a necessity and we just cannot “brew” a better cup of joe than with our percolator. Plus we can use it anywhere.

Here is the percolator we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Here is the manual grinder we use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And the best piece of this is of course the coffee supplier... Coffee Bean Direct, especially for there flavored coffee beans:

https://www.coffeebeandirect.com/cof...ed-coffee.html

Highly recommend...

<><
I Agree with the Faberware. We have an 8 cup model for boondocking, and an electric 12 cup for shore power.
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:45 AM   #118
2 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Surry , Virginia
Quote:

After visiting New Orleans years ago and tasting Cafe Du Monde I have never bought anything else. Used to buy it off the shelf for about $10 but now order online for about $6. My electric percolator makes it as bold as I like it.
NukeSubSailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
17 grams = 1/2 oz. of coffee. That means if I buy a 12 oz bag of coffee, I should expect to get 24 cups from it. I have this "scoop" that came with the french press, and I use three, but I have no idea how much.
I know in a french press, 4 oz constitutes a cup. In my book, a cup is 16 oz., so my 4 cup press makes one cup for me. I boil a 16 oz bottle of water, so it fills the press nicely.

I have this grinder, although I'd rather buy 'ground', for convenience.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	41NQRigTUdL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	304135  
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:21 AM   #120

Orlando , Florida
I drink shots of espresso... so anywhere from 1 or 2 oz (1:1 or 1:2 brewing ratio)

Here is what I have tried so far...
  • Vivace Dolce Espresso. I really like this one. Started buying this one roasted from Vivace... then bought some green that sat at home for almost a year... just recently started roasting at home. I like this one a lot. Looking forward to some day being able to drink some at their location in Seattle.
  • Zaza's (local Cuban restaurant that sell their espresso blend beans). The cuban colada taste amazing with this bean. This is what I buy locally when I run out of beans at home... I need to find something that I can roast at home that taste like this...
  • Red Bird Brazil Sweet Blue. Almost like drinking a cup of chocolate with coffee. Wife loves it with milk... I can drink one every so often. Although good, I got tired of it quickly... nothing wrong with it, just can't drink it every day.
  • Nossa Familia Full Cycle - This was a recommendation from Home-Barista website, along with the Caffe Lusso... It was not for me...
  • Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo - everyone raves about this one... I have not been able to get something as good as the top two on this list.
  • Lavazza Super Crema Espresso - first one I bought that got me a decent shot... wife loves it with milk. I no longer make this for me. Finishing what we have in my wife's lattes and will not be buying again. Not because I don't like it, just that I prefer the top two on this list for now.
  • Klatch WBC - yeah, could not figure out why... not something that I can say wow me...
  • Counter Culture La Golondrina (not my cup of tea... really, to me, it tasted like tea... wife loved it)
  • Koffe Kult Dark Roast - very dissapointed with this one... tasted just like that first test I did with the Starbucks French roast... gave it to my father-in-law to use in the Delonghi
  • Several from George Howell - my taste buds are not as refine to appreciate these...
  • Scarlet City Wrap Drive - got a chance to drink this at their location (Emeryville, CA) and took some roasted bean home. I can describe it as similar to the Vivace Dolce... for some reason, it did not last long... after the first day or two, I could not pull a decent shot. Not matter how fine the shot just ran fast...

Last week I order some roasted beans from Black Stripe Coffee out of Canada to try... his Espresso Vegreville Gold offering...

I need to learn more of what it is that I like... meaning, need to find out what that Zaza or that Vivace blend is made off, to buy those green beans by the 25lbs bag... and roast at home. I am okay sticking with one coffee bean.

I was planning to buy the sampler from Sweet Maria's... this will help me decipher what green beans to buy... I want to find something similar to the top two on my list.
WBCCI #26769