Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Oxnard , California
Need 2018 AI side windows replaced

A few days ago some vandal etched all of my blacked out windows on the passenger side of the AI. Seems like I'm getting the run around with my insurance company. Do these windows get replaced at my Airstream dealer, my local Mercedes dealership, or at a good local body shop?
Also anything that I should look for in the replacement? Tips?
Thanks all
David
Rudy8352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:09 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
I am not sure about the middle windows, but in the windows in the front and back that open are made by by C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.. Even for a dealer, it won't be an easy task. The trim on the front and back windows will have to be removed, and anything in front of the middle window will as well. I've been told, but can not confirm, the middle windows that do no open are MB OEM. My suggestion would be to contact customer support at Airstream and get their advice as to how to proceed rather than here.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
I am not sure about the middle windows, but in the windows in the front and back that open are made by by C.R. Laurence Co., Inc.. Even for a dealer, it won't be an easy task. The trim on the front and back windows will have to be removed, and anything in front of the middle window will as well. I've been told, but can not confirm, the middle windows that do no open are MB OEM. My suggestion would be to contact customer support at Airstream and get their advice as to how to proceed rather than here.
This ^ ^ ^, and sorry to hear of your problem.

But good grief! How did they etch your windows without touching any paint too?
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy8352 View Post
A few days ago some vandal etched all of my blacked out windows on the passenger side of the AI. Seems like I'm getting the run around with my insurance company. Do these windows get replaced at my Airstream dealer, my local Mercedes dealership, or at a good local body shop?
Also anything that I should look for in the replacement? Tips?
Thanks all
David
Not sure why the run around by insurance co. Glass damage or breakage usually the easy part of auto insurance, mine does not even have deductible. But they do have a process, before approving all-out replacement (i.e. if chip on windshield, will send for epoxy repair before replacement). But that's not your issue.

+1 with GMILLEROK1 side glass MB on fixed & non-MB on ones with flip out.

But before you go through the expensive route (regardless of who pays for it), may want to check into getting existing glass fixed. Most paint protection places & graffiti removal shops do this all the time on commerical windows. Just make sure they are no longer using the wet grinding method. Dry grinding does not come with the risk of the "lensing" effect when using water on the grinding pads. The reason to check this out is I doubt any insurance company will pay to have all the interior valances & power shades removed just to get to the windows. And if they're giving you run-around now . . . So, that may be at your expense.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote