Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2018, 04:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Fort Lauderdale , Florida
Mystery random single dash tone

Took our 2017 AI out for a day trip today. Second time out putting a few miles on since the purchase last month. Love driving this thing - except.

I am getting a mystery warning tone from the dash. It is a single warning beep. It occurs randomly at all speeds in varying conditions. On the highway it occurred every 10 or 15 minutes. At varrying speeds. No messages on the dash. No lights. I check the mirrors trying to tie it to the blind spot detector but not pattern there. Everytime I hear the tone I search the dash and mirrors looking for a connection. On the way home at 25 MPH in city traffic it occurred 3 times in three minutes. On a 4 hour drive I am guessing that the tone went off 30 times.

Check the Mercedes manual but nothing summarizes warning tones. Did not find any past posts on the topic.

Any guesses?
Land Stitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Sounds like you have the lane-following warning turned on and wandered into a lane line.

I get some spurious lane warnings when the camera thinks it sees a line that isn't there or the remains of earlier lines.

You should get a warning on the dash for a few seconds when you wander into a line. Sort of an odd-shaped symbol.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I had a warning sound like yours when someone overfilled my crankcase with oil.
Not good to use too much oil. Removed some oil and it never returned. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
If it is a single beep that then repeats then at some point just stops, it might be what has plagued many of us... the awning "sail" sensor. Send the awning out a few inches then retract it and it should stop. Supposedly this is being "fixed" on mine right now.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Western , Tennessee
My experience is the in-dash GPS will "bing" when it identifies it location. My area has several new roads, when driving the new road and cross a known road the GPS will bing. I assume to inform of location found...
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Franklin County , Missouri
I also think it comes from the GPS. Ours will flash up a short warning in school zones.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thank all,

1. Familiar with the lane warning and the light on the dash. I recall the tone being a different sound and the light on the dash is not lit.
2. Oil fill is interesting - will check.
3. GPS was not in a route.
4. Awning sensor? I did not know there was one. In fact, when I parked the vehicle at home last night I put the awning in the full open position. Then I realized I was too close to the edge of my drive way. I slowly drove 10' forward and then back to move over. All with the awning fully deployed and no warning sensors or tones.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:42 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Franklin County , Missouri
Our GPS does not need to be in the route mode to beep. Have your passenger look at the GPS screen when you hear the beep. The message just flashes on for a very short time.
AI927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I too had an oil overfull ding, but it was accompanied with a message on the dash display. It only happened after hours of driving under very hot conditions. Oil expanded just enough as it heated up to trigger it? I shut the engine off an waited a few minutes then checked it via the dipstick. It was at the very top, but did not appear to be overfull. I figured the sensor was mounted to low (assuming the dipstick was right). When I got home I siphoned about a cup out of the dipstick tube - not easy but possible when the oil is warm - and never agin got the dong or message. Oil level too high will let the crankshaft dip into the oil sump and cause a frothy foamy mess of the oil - interfering with the ability to pump it. Not a good thing to have happen!
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:59 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Land Stitchy View Post
Thank all,

1. Familiar with the lane warning and the light on the dash. I recall the tone being a different sound and the light on the dash is not lit.
2. Oil fill is interesting - will check.
3. GPS was not in a route.
4. Awning sensor? I did not know there was one. In fact, when I parked the vehicle at home last night I put the awning in the full open position. Then I realized I was too close to the edge of my drive way. I slowly drove 10' forward and then back to move over. All with the awning fully deployed and no warning sensors or tones.

The awning sail sensor for me would go beeping only with the awning retracted. Once when we were driving on the freeway and got a big side gust of wind and 3-4x when I parked and turned off the ignition.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #11
Contributing Member

Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I had the awning sensor go off while driving in a strong crosswind in west Texas. Rolling the awning out a foot and retracting it fixed the problem to date.

The awning alarm is a very high pitch and without much volume. I can hear it, but my wife can't. I may replace the beeper with a healthier alarm.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:08 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2023 25' International
2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
College Station , Texas
Ours does that also - GPS routing does not have to be on. Watch the very top of your Fusion screen and you may see a quick flash of either a school zone or changes of speed. Seems to be when we've noticed it most.
1st time RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Will check out the GPS idea. That seems the most logical. We had the CD player screen up the whole time we were driving and did not look at the GPS.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra Beach , Florida
I just returned from a trip in my new 2018 and I got periodic warnings with a sound that I was approaching a new speed zone, etc. there is a quick explanation on the screen but. Only for a few seconds.
FlStrmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:11 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Thousand Oaks , California
I had a similar beep that turned out to be the sensor from the step. It hadn't fully retracted and the high pitched beep was coming from the sliding door area. While I was driving it seemed for a while like it was coming from the dash and I didn't figure it out until I stopped. Sliding the step in and out a couple of times fixed it in my case.
Ryoungca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:04 PM   #16
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Hi Land Stitchy,

Please call our customer service and technical support team at*1 (877) 596-6111, option 2 so we can learn more and help.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2018, 03:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I had a mystery beep....drove me nuts trying to determine what part of the van was doing it. Started to pill panels and trim until my son in law removed my AED (defibrillator) so I could get to some particular spot. Turned out to be a low battery in the AED......got caught “Zebra-hunting”.