Old 02-21-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Mystery #2

Ignore the part about the audio file; I'm still trying to figure out how to get the MPEG-4 Audio (M4A) file uploaded to this forum.

We just completed a 7 week/4K mile wander of several western US states. If you’re curious, mystery #1 is in the Motorhome Forums main area, not in a sub-forum. Thanks to all for your sage input on that one!

For background, this Interstate is a MY 2010 (Twin) on a MY 2008 Freightliner Sprinter 3500 chassis. At the start of this trip the ODO reading was 21,983. This mystery is equally perplexing and has possible implications beyond just getting a windshield replaced. Early in the trip (within the first 1K miles) we camped for the night near Clear Lake in northern CA. As we pulled out the next morning, we start hearing this sound (MPEG-4 audio file attached). Of course sounds are hard to describe and the recording makes it sound a bit worse that it really was but not by a lot. The recording is by iPhone held behind the front seats about a foot above the floor; centered side to side. To me, it sounded like a squeak or screech, like a loose wheel on a very cheap child’s wagon. It didn’t sound like a typical bearing failure to me but the first thing that came to mind was the notorious center carrier bearing problem that some Sprinters have experienced. (If you want to see more about this, visit the Sprinter-Source forum, go to the NCV3 talk section and search on “carrier bearing” and you will get a bunch of hits. The first thread had 157 posts when I last looked as this is unfortunately a somewhat common problem.)

After venting just a bit to my very patient wife, I decided we would need to have this checked out as soon as possible. As we drove on this first morning the noise went away completely. If there is/was a pattern to when this would or would not occur, it escapes me. In general, it seemed more likely that it would happen after the van had been parked for a while. Usually, when it was there, it would start up once the speed got up to 20 mph or so. The sound seemed VERY LOOSELY and erratically related to: vehicle speed, drivetrain load vs no load (accelerating vs decelerating) and braking. Almost always, after getting up to speed on the highway, the sound would be gone. I could slow down and stop, then start up again and it wouldn’t be there at all. At other times, it would persist for a while then go away. When it was present the noise was always quite erratic; not a consistent squeak sound.

We eventually visited a very friendly Sprinter authorized MB dealer in Santa Rosa, MB of Santa Rosa. (Between the advisor and the tech they invested more than an hour with me with no charge!) The Sprinter service advisor initially agreed that the carrier bearing was a likely suspect. He inspected the brake rotors looking for maybe a rock caught in a caliper or shield and found nothing. He told me he couldn’t get me into a service bay until the following day but agreed to see if a tech could take a ride with me. After a 45 min. wait the senior Sprinter tech appeared and we took a ride with him driving. Naturally, the sound didn’t appear at all during this test drive. L The tech looked again at the brake caliper area of all 4 wheels and crawled under the vehicle to inspect the carrier bearing. He explained that the typical scenario with carrier bearing failures is that they will overheat and the overheating will leave visible indications on the bearing support bushing which is made of rubber. He said mine showed no signs of heating. He also said the sound of a failed bearing is more like a rumble and that you could start to feel the vibration as the failure progressed. He also said we would get ample warning if the carrier bearing did start to fail. In the end, he suggested we proceed with our trip which we did. The pattern remained the same; sometimes it would be there when we started up after being parked for a while and sometimes it wouldn’t. It always seemed to go away after driving for a mile or so. Toward the end of our trip, the sound was there more often and seemed more persistent when it was present.

Are there any ideas out there on what this might be? Anyone had a similar experience? I plan on posting this on the Sprinter-Source Forum also. BTW, during my next trip in the Interstate I will be getting my first B service done. I’m hoping this sound will make an appearance at that time.

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
I have panicked at strange intermittent sounds, even bought a scanguage to follow the vitals. The whistle sound that I thought may be turbo related was actually the wind passing the side view mirror! The intermittent sound I thought was from my chassis went away for good since I entirely emptied out the Interstate and repacked it. I'm learning to be less paranoid. I'm glad to hear your shout out for MB in Santa Rosa. Their Sprinter department is rock solid.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Anyone have any bright (or even dim) ideas?

Also, any suggestions on how to get an audio file from an iPhone (MP4A) loaded to this forum?

Thanks,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 12:30 PM   #4
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I could not upload direct either. I loaded the file to uTube and linked that to the Forum. It worked for me.

Dave
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
I had a carrier bearing go at 30,000 miles. The noise was on acceleration only. The sound was similar to a belt or break squeal.