Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This begs a larger question. *IF* that tank was stolen while the Interstate was sitting on a car lot, if it did occur I assume that would be for the value of the scrap metal??

Not necessarily a far-fetched idea as drug people will steal everything from everywhere, and I mean everything, including brass valves excavated from our subdivision's common area sprinkler system that had a scrap value of about five entire bucks.

However, my practical question is - if that occurred, how did they get the tank off and out?

I've raised this issue with my husband previously because I like to boondock in strange places. I've worried about strippage. The T1N's don't have locking wheel lugs like every other vehicle on the road these days. Plus there are other potential goodies under the chassis.

My husband's initial suspicion was that this kind of pilfering would not be a big risk for the simple reason that an Interstate is too heavy to lift using common tools of the theft trade. Now I am questioning that conclusion.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM   #16
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Originally Posted by Ultradog View Post
Not related to the OP's troubles but I have twin 30 lb. aluminum tanks on my trailer.
I always remove them and store them inside with the curtains closed when I lock up and leave.
You just never know...
Its not like the tank on the Interstate is in plain sight. You would have to crawl under the vehicle to even know there was one there. Someone had to know about the tank, have a good bit of time to remove it, and either a heavy duty jack or lift to get it out from under the vehicle. The scrap value of the tank would be unlikely to be worth the time, labor, and risk involved to steal it. That would seem to point the finger straight back to the dealer and/or the dealers technicians.

If I were the dealer I would do everything I could to deny it could have happened on my watch.

Make errors — otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:36 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I've already recommended filing a police report and an insurance claim over the missing propane tank. Remains to be seen whether the OP will actually do that, but hopefully he will because otherwise the entire cost of fixing the problem will come out of his own pocket.

But there is one other thing I'd recommend, and that's filing a complaint against the dealer with the Better Business Bureau. That's something that should be done any time you get unsatisfactory service with any vendor, especially if they refuse to make amends when you confront them about the problem.

Be very specific in describing your complaint, because the BBB does follow up on complaints received. Include photos if you've got them. And if possible send the complaint by certified mail, return receipt required, so that you get proof that they did receive the complaint. Sending a carbon copy of your complaint letter to the dealer is optional; he'll find out about it soon enough even if you don't send him a copy.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member
1999 30' Excella 1000
Brookeville , Maryland
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It is an ASME tank. It's a built-in on an Interstate. DoT cylinders are removable. Which makes it stranger that it was stolen, because someone had to get underneath to remove it. The fact that it's an ASME tank also means that it will be more expensive to replace than just buying a new one. It will have to be installed by an RVIA-certified technician. Thus my recommendation that an insurance claim be filed, which will probably require a police report.
I stand corrected again. One thing I'm learning, is to never question a engineer. If this was stolen the person would have ripped it out in a hurry.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #19
TAC CA-420
Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Sheesh, even a half-full 18 gallon propane tank must weigh too much to handle upside down under a frickin' Sprinter. Honestly, nobody trying to make an easy buck wants to work that hard. I figure it hadda happen on the service lot. Helluva thing.

I have an "aluminum" powder coated 5-gallon propane bottle on my vintage aluminum trailer -- there, I said it: "bottle" -- held in place with two bolts through the cylinder's bottom collar into a matching collar on the A-frame. I'd hate to lose my powder coated tank, cylinder, bottle, whatever, but I'm not going to lock it up...

(I use a lock on the ball coupler whenever and wherever my trailer's off the truck; I really couldn't bear to lose my trailer.)
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
– Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #20
Rivet Master
1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Side note but may add to this - Our 79 has the 2 tanks on the front and polished. Don't want to pay to replace so since we have had it on the road, I added a steel cable through both tank handles on top, loop like a lasso, then the end padlocked around the frame behind the tanks. It isn't noticeable but sure does give me piece of mind.
Tadd, Beth, Grundgetta and Weeble
Our blog
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Someone mentioned "locking up" his propane which would necessitate "another key". It's ILLEGAL to lock up an RV compartment where propane is stored. In an emergency, the fire department must have easy and immediate access to an RV's propane.
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Livingston , texas
Bowmans, we also have a '79, w/the same tanks. That's the EXACT solution I thought of when I first started reading this thread. We already have what we'll need.
In God we trust, everyone else.... eh, not-so-much.
2 Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:01 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Issaquah , Washington
I would say that even more effective than a Better Business Bureau complaint is a bad Yelp review. In these days of social media it's a very effective way to get action.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
Agree. Name of dealer?
So we all can call them and ask if they have any used Interstate propane tanks for sale?
The higher your expectations the fewer your options.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
It's as I thought, they worked on the wrong coach.. They are going to take care of everything and make it right.. Thank goodness...
Mjgman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #26
Rivet Master
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Glad you got it straightened out.

Wonder what went wrong w/ the other coach that req'd removal of the tank?
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is simply a glass that was over designed.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Shreveport , Louisiana
How did this go down with that unresponsive service manager?
Endodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 10:53 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Framingham , Massachusetts
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1440737451.786599.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	246506how the heck will the propane tank be missing just like that??? It will not fall off by itself as it is securely attached under.
Somebody must purposely removed it , for what reason, i would like to know.

gambita is offline   Reply With Quote