Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2019, 04:39 AM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Port Sanilac , Michigan
I can easily trip a breaker in my 30 amp trailer when running A/C and microwave and coffee maker while making toast in a toaster oven. The usual culprit is the surge in current required to start the A/C that can trip the breaker. It’s quite easy to load up a 30 amp trailer with more than 30 amps.
pontzdav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Hi, yes we did replace the mini PCS but it didn't entirely solve the problem. Ends up being a Magnum Inverter setting to 10% charge rate. RV shop manager called Magnum and they told him to set it to 100%. Battery charge and Magnum didn't seem to be working quite right yet, so I emailed Airstream and they suggested to set it to 50%

After setting the charge rate to 50%, everything is working correctly now. Somewhat shocking one setting can throw the system for a loop. Please remember we have older technology though, so it might not help your issue entirely, but if it gets you on the right path, hope it helps.

And just FYI, we were seeing odd electrical issues. I'm thankful the repair shop manager took the time to dig deeper, and almost thankful to have some issues and help from some of you on the forum and having to take it in because we would have struggled for so long and not have known probably with that one setting just being off...
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
I should correct my answer. Our problem was probably a combination of the two issues. Precision Circuits stated that they see a lot of mini PCS problems from voltage issues/spikes/etc. I'd guess unstable hookups may cause people issues at campgrounds and such.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
And also Alex, our ride does have air ride, there's tags all over the rig, so please don't make fun because you are incorrect by 100 percent. You don't know everything there is to know about Airstreams either. I can post sideways pictures for your liking if you don't believe it.

Being rude is not necessary, joking or not. I guess my air ride controller behind the drivers seat must be there for absolutely nothing. Or the air that is blown out of the bags when it lowers. But hey, what do I know??!!
And my question about the front bags is not entirely stupid, because it's mentioned in plenty of places, I did not know if they installed them for height adjustment, and didn't have instructions or took the time to research it before asking, not thinking someone would use my lack of specific knowledge to bring up like I am dumb.

Whether it was added aftermarket or not...who cares?! They come as a system from the manufacturer, so what's the difference? I inquired about adding one on before purchasing this ride. It's possible. Think your snarky comments are uncalled for there. Rude, that's all that is. Don't worry, I helped with this posting, but treating those of us who are new as stupid or jabbing at my questions or comments is not necessary in my opinion. I won't be commenting on your feeds, so don't worry, you won't have further fuel from me.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:43 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
While taking a breath, my post went to being written in stone, so be it. Most may not understand my response, but I've had a couple of snarky remarks on my posts so I've had enough of it, right or wrong. I don't see how bringing up one of those subjects along with this subject makes sense and seems like yet another snark.

And yes, solving these two issues totally solved our problem, our AS now works 100 percent as it should. My air ride question was valid, not sure the response I was given was, nor making me look like I don't know what I am talking about because I had some questions as a new owner and a major problem that took a couple minor solutions and fixes along with correcting some self-induced learning curves. Or an air ride system that is not supposed to be on that year, at least according to one member. I don't know what else to say, other than I don't like things that I've brought up used against me or my hand slapped because I'm asking about things that I'm learning about along with others and that's the feeling I'm getting. Kind of thought that was the point of a forum, but maybe I don't understand it clearly.
Old 09-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #46
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk-ination View Post
Hi, yes we did replace the mini PCS but it didn't entirely solve the problem. Ends up being a Magnum Inverter setting to 10% charge rate. RV shop manager called Magnum and they told him to set it to 100%. Battery charge and Magnum didn't seem to be working quite right yet, so I emailed Airstream and they suggested to set it to 50%

After setting the charge rate to 50%, everything is working correctly now. Somewhat shocking one setting can throw the system for a loop. Please remember we have older technology though, so it might not help your issue entirely, but if it gets you on the right path, hope it helps.

And just FYI, we were seeing odd electrical issues. I'm thankful the repair shop manager took the time to dig deeper, and almost thankful to have some issues and help from some of you on the forum and having to take it in because we would have struggled for so long and not have known probably with that one setting just being off...
I will try to make that change just to validate if it makes a difference. Thank you!

Got back from San Francisco last night. Today I took some time to try to troubleshoot this further... Took it all apart. Removed the cover where the breaker box is held in place to be able to get to the data cable.

Fired up the generator:
  • Measured voltage between L1 & Neutral: Measured 118.9 volts - Unit needs to see this voltage there to work... so that checked out fine.
  • Measured voltage between L2 & Neutral: Measured 118.9 volts - Unit needs to see this voltage there to work... so that checked out fine.
  • Check RJ-11 type data cable... Check that all wires where seated properly on the connector... Everything looked good... and when I disconnected on either end, I could see the amperage value on the screen go to zero. Wish I had a spare cable that I could run from the back to the front to rule out a cable issue...but I did not see any issues with it.
  • Check all neutral wires to make sure a wire cover was not impeding proper contact. - Yes, even the one that on the picture I shared looked like the cover was in the way, was making perfect contact...

So need to go back to test the change Hawk-ination made and see if that makes a difference... Looking like I will be adding this to the list of stuff for the dealer to check when I drop it off on September 30...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	352770   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0473.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	352771  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0475.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	252.5 KB
ID:	352772   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0477.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	358.4 KB
ID:	352773  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 06:16 AM   #47

Orlando , Florida
Checked the parameters... it was set to 50%... so that is not the issue...

AC IN parameter 30 Amps
Charge Rate parameter at 50%
LBCO parameter at 11 VDC
BAT TYPE parameter AGM 1
VAC DROP parameter 100 VAC

Will let the dealer deal with it. I am heading out on a motorcycle ride on Oct 4, from Florida to San Diego so time is running out for me to work this... will leave it at the dealer while I am out.
WBCCI #26769
Old 10-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Wachuko,
Backing off my hissy fit, I can tell you that I believe our mini PCS are not of the same generation so yours might perform somewhat differently than the one we replaced. The issues you explained are not quite the same as what we were experiencing. We had odd fluctuations in the amp readings, some were unobtainable (over 30 Amps) which should have blown any circuit breaker on our coach, but were not. A call to PC and he asked the readings, and knew right away our mini PCS needed to be replaced. I may have said this before. Anyway, we did have some odd things happening, sometimes the step would work, sometimes not, I think the awning wouldn't deploy at times, the AC wouldn't kick on, etc. Replacing the mini PCS fixed this issue for the shop but as it sat overnight, the batteries went dead. The dealer that replaced it knew there was another issue. He initially thought our inverter was also bad, but it ended up being that setting, but it took a hour for him to be on hold with Magnum to find that out. Hope your dealer can find the root problem that is causing your issue.

I think when I reached out after asking some questions that no one had encountered, the odd issues our coach was having seemed impossible. Ended up it was the two issues happening at the same time to create our symptoms. Thankfully the shop we took it to went the extra mile to diagnose the second problem and it ended up being a somewhat easy fix. Might not help you but if others run into this perfect storm, maybe this information could help. At any rate, if you see odd amp readings that don't seem possible, I would recommend starting with looking at a mini PCS replacement. That may not be a solution to your issue, it doesn't sound quite the same, but somewhat similar.

I should say too that we might have had a third issue as we went ahead and replaced the batteries to start, so that might have been a contributing cause, too.

We also installed a surge protector to hopefully prevent any current spikes as the PC rep said the mini PCS' do not like fluctuating voltage. Good luck in getting your problem fixed! Hope it ends up being a somewhat quick fix like ours was, even if it did pretty much perplex everyone for a bit until we all could find the right solution.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:28 AM   #49

Orlando , Florida
Hawk-ination,

Thank you for the follow up reply. In my case it was a bad data cable. Once that gets replaced we should have full display functionality. Currently waiting on dealer to tell me when to take it in again. Replacing that data cable means having to remove cabinets to route it...
WBCCI #26769