Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Moving TV antenna to A/C cover

I got a PM question about moving the older Winegard Roadstar Disc TV antenna to top of the A/C cover. Others might be interested in this info so I'm making a new thread about what I did.

Did this several years ago to make room for four 100 watt solar panels I added to my Interstate. I only have photos of the finished results. I've attached the Winegard installation manual that shows the details of mounting hardware. I removed the roof brackets and just used the bolts on bottom of antenna to attach it to the top of the A/C cover. Added about 3 foot to the coaxial cable to reach the antenna in the new location.

The photo of the four panels installed is an older version. I also added a sunroof air dam in front of the reversed MaxxFan roof vent, shown in the last photo.

New Interstates have a newer, small TV antenna that solved the problem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	400 watts on AI.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	337711   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1664lr.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	337712  

Name:	IMG_1666lr.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	337716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1665lr.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	337717  

Name:	IMG_1174lr.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	337718  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Winegard TV Antenna.pdf (170.0 KB, 46 views)
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I got a PM question about moving the older Winegard Roadstar Disc TV antenna to top of the A/C cover. Others might be interested in this info so I'm making a new thread about what I did.

Did this several years ago to make room for four 100 watt solar panels I added to my Interstate. I only have photos of the finished results. I've attached the Winegard installation manual that shows the details of mounting hardware. I removed the roof brackets and just used the bolts on bottom of antenna to attach it to the top of the A/C cover. Added about 3 foot to the coaxial cable to reach the antenna in the new location.

The photo of the four panels installed is an older version. I also added a sunroof air dam in front of the reversed MaxxFan roof vent, shown in the last photo.

New Interstates have a newer, small TV antenna that solved the problem.
Great job Mike!
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
Could you give me a link for these solar panels?
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 06:26 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I did a similar relocation. I had a local shop fabricate three short brackets that replace the longer brackets. The short brackets raised the antenna by about 2", whereas the original ones raised it by ~ 6". I was concerned that the screws and washers may put too concentrated of a load on the fiberglass cover, so I put a 9" square backing plate on the bottom side of the AC cover and bolted the brackets to it in order to spread out the load. (Overkill???) Upon completion of the project I had my wife drive the Interstate while I followed in a car. The antenna seemed solid except when hitting a bump. at which time it vibrated for a short period of time. I have no idea how long the AC cover will last with this increased load (can't be good for it) but that was 4 years and 50,000 miles ago.

I don't recall having to add more coax, but I did put a 90 degree coax fitting on the bottom of the antenna, as the cable would otherwise point straight down.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Could you give me a link for these solar panels?
I bought those panels from AM Solar about five years ago. They don't carry that exact model any longer. But they do have one very similar at this link...

https://amsolar.com/rv-solar-panels/solar-zs100

I highly recommend AM Solar - they are the best for RV systems in my view.

Good luck,
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 01:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
IMHO, not a good idea

the roof on the AC is a thin, non-load bearing material
wind may easily lift it off the top and may rip the AC cover

my 2 cents
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 03:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I bought my GS Star 100W panels on-line thru Home Depot at a better price than I could find anywhere else. Don't forget the solar tax credit.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote