Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Moving Spare tyre

I'm looking at a 2005 Interstate with the 'front sleeper' setup so the kitchen/bathroom is in the rear.
Looks like the spare tyre is located just behind the sink.

Is there a way to relocate that under the van instead?
That seems like prime storage space to me, and I'd rather hassle with getting a spare out from underneath and have the room.

I can see good and bad about that setup, I sort of like the ones that have two sofas in the rear, so allowing access from the rear as well as the side.
(But I've never used one, so perhaps that is silly)

Marl
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I'm looking at a 2005 Interstate with the 'front sleeper' setup so the kitchen/bathroom is in the rear.
Looks like the spare tyre is located just behind the sink.

Is there a way to relocate that under the van instead?
That seems like prime storage space to me, and I'd rather hassle with getting a spare out from underneath and have the room.

I can see good and bad about that setup, I sort of like the ones that have two sofas in the rear, so allowing access from the rear as well as the side.
(But I've never used one, so perhaps that is silly)

Marl
Welcome to Air Forums Marl and no, you are not silly at all. Not even one percent silly. My husband and I have the two-rear-sofa model (it was called an RS or "rear sleeper") and I simply would not have anything else. The reason is shown in the attached photo triptych. No other T1N model is capable of yielding quite the same floor-to-ceiling million-dollar views from the part of the vehicle where people spend their actual lounging and sleeping time. Everyone has their tastes and preferences, but for me, it's all about the view.

The challenge is finding an RS in the resale market. Nationally, I only see one to two a year advertised through the common sites such as eBay, RVTrader, and PPL. Locally things might be different, but I don't have any information on that.

Now, as for your tire question, we've had people ask if they can take the internal tire and mount it on the rear door or bumper, and a few people have made that modification. I don't know if anyone has taken it all the way underneath. Ours is an undermount and I like having it there, but it would depend in part on where all the other infrastructure such as wastewater tank and generator are located. If you could look under the rig you are considering, you might be able to get a feel for what space is available. And hopefully other folks will chime in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161004_ITS_ALL_ABOUT_THE_VIEW.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	273027  
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Opps,
My name is 'Mark'. - typo and I can't seem to edit.

Thanks for the info- I can certainly see your point- great views, and two access points.

I will want a motorcycle rack- so would prefer a underslung tyre.

Thanks a lot- I'll keep looking I think.

Mark
Old 10-07-2016, 07:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
And thanks for the great pics!

One of the things I like about the Interstate is all the windows and light inside.
That rear sleeper setup looks just right to me, along with allowing access from the rear.

I'll keep looking.

Mark
Old 10-08-2016, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
And thanks for the great pics!

One of the things I like about the Interstate is all the windows and light inside.
That rear sleeper setup looks just right to me, along with allowing access from the rear.

I'll keep looking.

Mark
If you run a search on RVTrader, you have to set it up by price, not model, because T1N's aren't even listed in their options. I've attached a thumbnail of their pick-list. It's annoying.

This unit is the only decent-looking Interstate RS on the market right now (of which I am aware, at least).

However IMO the seller is on a fishing expedition with that asking price. The listing has been displaying off and on for a couple of months now, indicating that nobody is taking that bait for a unit that is generally in very high demand. I think the seller is at least $10K over what is realistic.

You have to realize that this is a 10-year-old motor vehicle. Regardless of how low the mileage and how good the condition and care over its life to date, it will almost certainly necessitate DIY work or hired expenditures. If you are really interested in this vintage of Interstate, I recommend taking a look at my blog where I detail all the repairs we have had to do to ours. That type of information (problems to look for with older Interstates) was not publicly available in 2014 when we bought our 2007 Interstate, but I've made it available, and it's potentially useful for negotiating purposes when buying and selling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161008_RVT_MENU.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	273099  
Old 10-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 22' Parkway
North Augusta , South Carolina
Mark,

We have an '06 T1N with the front sleeper/rear bath combination. Our spare tire, like yours, is also located in the area between the kitchen area and the rear door.

However, our RV came with a rear mount/swing out tire carrier. In order to actually use it, we'll have to make some adjustments as it completely covers the license tag and the pin in it isn't large enough to prevent an annoying wobble.

I honestly don't know that there would be enough clearance underneath the chassis for the spare to fit. I've crawled underneath ours, and with the black/gray water tanks and the generator, there's not a lot of room left for much else.
glfprncs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 01:11 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Mark,
Check out Sprinter-Forum > classifieds > sprinter vans only. Last I looked there was a 2006 AI with low milage listed at $44k. I encourage Interblog to take a look too as I know she likes to track Interstates of our vintage
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:53 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebtown View Post
Mark,
Check out Sprinter-Forum > classifieds > sprinter vans only. Last I looked there was a 2006 AI with low milage listed at $44k. I encourage Interblog to take a look too as I know she likes to track Interstates of our vintage
Yes, Mark, that's another potentially useful site - but be careful, because there are Interstate scams everywhere (here's a blog post describing a scam in which some unknown scammer offered MY Interstate for sale... my actual unit).

That particular post was worth questioning for the following reasons:

(1) It was for a "platinum edition" 2006 Interstate. With Airstream anything is possible, and I'm sure there is much I have not yet discovered, but in two years of following the market I have never seen any such thing as a "platinum edition" Interstate. The literature I've collected doesn't mention it. The wider internet doesn't have any references to such a thing. Liberty Coach does produce a "platinum edition" in their diesel pusher line-up, which makes me wonder if this seller mixed his RV metaphors.

(2) He's also implying (but not stating) that there are two house batteries (no Interstate of that vintage had two).

(3) and he says it has leather (no Interstate of that vintage had it - it's all either fabric upholstery or Ultraleather).

(4) There is no link to any pictures.

(5) The price is below the typical ask for the vehicle as described.

All things considered, that one would make me so suspicious as to not give it a second glance. It might be real, but personally I wouldn't waste my time on it.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I've sent out an inquiry of thine looking one- price see quite high to me. A roadtrek with similar layout is available more locally- also quit high price.
The one on Sprinter forum is sold.

Thanks for all the tips!

Mark
Old 10-09-2016, 08:52 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
I've sent out an inquiry of thine looking one- price see quite high to me. A roadtrek with similar layout is available more locally- also quit high price.
The one on Sprinter forum is sold.

Thanks for all the tips!

Mark
The username on Sprinter Forum (who has made all of about a half dozen posts total) *says* that it is sold. Myself, I don't know that it ever existed.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Hi Interblog, I too am often skeptical of many of the advertisements I see for class B's, well actually for almost all recreational vehicles on Craigslist for that matter. When I first saw the AI I eventually purchased, I responded to a Craigslist ad that I was petty convinced was a scam. Imagine my surprise when the seller responded (a week later). This was in early 2013 for a 2006/2007 with just over 30k miles. We have since traveled to 10 states, 7 national parks and too many campgrounds to count. Besides normal maintenance I have only needed to replace the o2 sensor and the front brakes. I am totally happy with my AI and believe I could sell it today for the same, if not more then what I paid. Having just retired I expect to start really putting on the miles.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote