Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Moving rear TV out of the way in Grand Tour

I know this has been discussed before, and maybe what I've discovered is no new news. I've been struggling with the pita factor of wiggling past the rear TV and finally tried something I've been meaning to experiment with.

I was able to re-do the folding arm arrangement behind the TV so that it is out of the way and yet the jack knife seat underneath is still completely usable at the same time. Pictures attached, hopefully this helps someone and is not a duplication of something already documented somewhere.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5489.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	297248   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5490.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	297249  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5492.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	187.9 KB
ID:	297250  
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
So, What/How did you do it? Thanks
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by busb2 View Post
So, What/How did you do it? Thanks
Yeah, what he said.

My current solution is to unfold the origami mount and place the face of the TV against the side wall so my butt doesn't rip the whole kit from it's moorings!
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
All I did was reverse the direction of the arm links. Pull the whole thing out and reverse the mechanism's zigs and zags... make the first arm extend toward the aisle instead of the wall. No wrenches required.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
All I did was reverse the direction of the arm links. Pull the whole thing out and reverse the mechanism's zigs and zags... make the first arm extend toward the aisle instead of the wall. No wrenches required.
Can you still "lock" it into place as before so it doesn't swing around while driving?
Old 10-17-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
No, you won't be able to lock it with its pin. But my GT previous owner must have cranked down on the bolts so tight... I have to grunt to get it to move at all. Since I never intend to have a different viewing angle than this, I'm happy to leave it as is.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Hamilton , Massachusetts
Clever, I needed this tip, thank you so very much for thoughtfully sharing. Happy trails.
TinWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
No, you won't be able to lock it with its pin. But my GT previous owner must have cranked down on the bolts so tight... I have to grunt to get it to move at all. Since I never intend to have a different viewing angle than this, I'm happy to leave it as is.
OK, I was just out at my coach to give it a wash to get some of the ash from the fires off it and gave this a try. It indeed works exactly as you describe, which is to simply "unfold" the arms and refold them the opposite way, but alas, without a way to lock the TV in position, it swings all over the place while driving. I like the setup though, so I think I'll find a way to bungie the thing in place. Not elegant, but it should be effective.

FWIW, the resulting "new position" of the TV looks exactly like how RoadTrek has theirs set up. Does anyone happen to know how they keep the TV from swinging around while underway? Maybe they have a solution to this that's more sophisticated than a bungie cord.....
Old 10-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
My suggestion is to overtighten the bolts at the joints like mine is. It would take a rollover crash for mine to change it's position...
Old 10-18-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Charleston , South Carolina
i removed the rear tv, and the arm. i then wire-tied the harness to the remaining mount. i also replaced the front tv with a smaller one that doesn't stick out.

on another note, try removing the sliding plexiglass doors for the overhead compartment, and additionally, if you take out all the media stuff, you will have a much nicer and accessible compartment.

furthermore, try removing the soap dispenser in the bathroom. you will have a lot more space to move around.
coasttocoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
My suggestion is to overtighten the bolts at the joints like mine is. It would take a rollover crash for mine to change it's position...
After spending a few minutes in my coach today with bungies in hand, I think your solution is the only viable one. The problem is when you reverse the order of the arms, there are no longer "bumpers" to protect against metal on metal contact throughout the mechanism. This would lead to rattles and likely some scratched up arms. The only way I can see to prevent this is to find the position that you want the TV to be in and tighten the arms such that they won't move. Not sure how I feel about this.....
Old 10-21-2017, 03:48 PM   #12

Gleneden Beach , Oregon
Quote:
I know this has been discussed before, and maybe what I've discovered is no new news. I've been struggling with the pita factor of wiggling past the rear TV and finally tried something I've been meaning to experiment with.

I was able to re-do the folding arm arrangement behind the TV so that it is out of the way and yet the jack knife seat underneath is still completely usable at the same time. Pictures attached, hopefully this helps someone and is not a duplication of something already documented somewhere.

Mark

Thanks for the heads up on this Mark. Went out this morning and tightened everything and then set it up like your pics and works like you described. Took the GT out for a drive and stayed exactly how I positioned it. Excellent fix!

RK
Razzzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
I changed my mount as described by the OP, and it is a big improvement, although my unit is a 2017 Lounge and The tv is a 24 inch Samsung rather than the 22 in the 2015 GT, so it is a little closer to the aisle. My mount is very stiff so the tv has not moved at all during a two hundred mile trip in the NC mountains the last three days. Thanks for posting this easy fix.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Thanks for the tips, Mark - tried this in our ‘17 GT, and our bundled wires are too tight to allow it to set correctly (can “almost” do what you did, but I’m afraid to over-stretch the wiring for fear it will pull from wall!
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:18 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
I'm glad this mod is getting some traction out there.

txntrvlr - maybe it would work to cut those confining cable ties, adjust the TV, then resecure the cabling with new cable ties ?

Mark
Old 10-22-2017, 05:59 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
our bundled wires are too tight to allow it to set correctly (can “almost” do what you did, but I’m afraid to over-stretch the wiring for fear it will pull from wall!
Wish I had that problem! On mine, there's way too much wire, such that without cable ties to bundle it into a loop, it would all dangle almost to the surface of the side-facing seat below.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:19 AM   #17

Gleneden Beach , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Thanks for the tips, Mark - tried this in our ‘17 GT, and our bundled wires are too tight to allow it to set correctly (can “almost” do what you did, but I’m afraid to over-stretch the wiring for fear it will pull from wall!
If you already haven't, you'll need to move the mount were it bolts to the wall with the four bolts all the way over to the left. Mine was originally tightened up to the wall centered. I was able to slide it over about a half an inch. After adjusting it over to the left I had just enough slack on the cables for Mark's fix to work. Hope this helps.

I'll try to get pics later.

RK
Razzzor is offline   Reply With Quote