Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Moving Propane switch in an Extended model

Hello, I found Gerald's excellent guide for moving the propane switch but mine is an extended and I have a wardrobe closet between the instrument panel and the bathroom. I was curious if anyone else has fished the 10 gauge wire back there and if it is difficult?

I'm almost tempted to relocate the inside switch to the rear wheel well and just remove the cup older to flip it from the inside. It's only a few feet straight up from the current location outside. But it would look cleaner in the instrument panel. Getting lazy so thought I would see what others with an extended had done.

Brian
AtlantaCpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
The wardrobe is also in my model between the instrument panel and shower. Just remove the screws from the top materials and pushing it down and out of the way so you an thread it to the corner of the shower.

Gerald
Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
I'm taking a slightly different approach. As delivered to me, my Interstate had two banks of three switches mounted just inside the sliding door (on the forward side of the shower/lav module) and one of the switch positions was blank. So I purchased another matching rocker switch to mount in the blank position; this one will be used for the propane shut off. I will be doing the wiring in a couple of weeks when I travel from AK to OR to do some Interstate projects.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
As delivered to me, my Interstate had two banks of three switches mounted just inside the sliding door (on the forward side of the shower/lav module) and one of the switch positions was blank.
Scratching the itch of curiosity, which switch do you not have? On mine, the six switches, left to right as you look at them, are:
1 - Exterior light
2 - Step lock (wired backwards, up = off)
3 - Tank heaters (switch is lighted red when on)
4 - Courtesy lights (step light and floor-level night light by the LPG detector)
5 - Bathroom light
6 - Main interior lights
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
I'm missing #2. I rigged a simple non-elegant mechanical defeat on the plunger switch that detects door open/closed. I have it defeated almost all the time to save wear & tear on the motor & mechanism. Reasoning; I'm only 72 and I might need the step when I get old
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaCpl View Post
I was curious if anyone else has fished the 10 gauge wire back there and if it is difficult?

Brian
Why 10 gauge wire? I think the propane valve only draws about 1 amp.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Why 10 gauge wire? I think the propane valve only draws about 1 amp.
Slightly less. Usage is 18 amps in 24 hours, or thereabouts.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Slightly less. Usage is 18 amps in 24 hours, or thereabouts.
3/4 amp rounds to 1 amp.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Re. the wire size question; 16 ga would be more than ample. 10 ga is a serious overkill!
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Re. the wire size question; 16 ga would be more than ample. 10 ga is a serious overkill!
My point exactly.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
I was just going from the instructions in the guide where it says to use 10 gauge. Good to know I can get away with 16 gauge since that will be cheaper and much easier to work with.

Thanks for pointing this out everyone.

Brian
Old 09-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Quote:
I was just going from the instructions in the guide where it says to use 10 gauge. Good to know I can get away with 16 gauge since that will be cheaper and much easier to work with.

Brian
I used 10 ga as instructed. Besides, it was easier to push down behind the shower
David
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:

Brian
What instructions? In what guide? I thought we we just talking about adding a switch?
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:

What instructions? In what guide? I thought we we just talking about adding a switch?
One of the forum members posted some instructions on how he did it over on the Yahoo version of this forum. Its complete with pictures and narrative.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
One of the forum members posted some instructions on how he did it over on the Yahoo version of this forum. Its complete with pictures and narrative.
That would be Gerald (Grmok1 on Yahoo groups). His guide was clear and very helpful for sure. I don't know why he chose 10 ga wire, but there is nothing wrong with using heavier wire than required.

FWIW, Blue Sea has a cool online "Circuit Wizard" tool that calculates wire size after you enter all the pertinent parameters including wire insulation temp rating and optionally some other derating factors. It will also calculate fuse size. For the tech inclined, this same tool is available for IOS or Android devices. It works great on my iPhone.

You can see it here: Circuit Wizard - Blue Sea Systems
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
Old 09-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
After reading the posts about moving the propane switch I decided that sounded like a good idea so I moved mine up to the cabinet with rest of the electrical components, I like it much better there! I did want to add one thing, I was able to use the same switch, I simply drilled a 3/8" hole in the control panel (through the front) and the switch actually screwed in tight through the back of the panel. That was the only way I could see to do it because the threaded area on the swith isn't long enough to get the nut on, I like it better this way anyway, a real clean look. The whole process took around an hour and a half, an old metal coat hanger came in handy to fish the wires up the wall of the bathroom.

Jeff
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #17

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
After reading the posts about moving the propane switch I decided that sounded like a good idea so I moved mine up to the cabinet with rest of the electrical components, I like it much better there! I did want to add one thing, I was able to use the same switch, I simply drilled a 3/8" hole in the control panel (through the front) and the switch actually screwed in tight through the back of the panel. That was the only way I could see to do it because the threaded area on the swith isn't long enough to get the nut on, I like it better this way anyway, a real clean look. The whole process took around an hour and a half, an old metal coat hanger came in handy to fish the wires up the wall of the bathroom.

Jeff
Be warned, if you go to a conscientious dispenser of propane, you will have to let him into your Interstate to verify that the propane is switched off before he'll put any in your tank, since it's an NFPA58 requirement— most states have adopted some version of NFPA58 for their standard, but not always the same edition. That's one reason why most people leave the original switch, but add a second switch inside rather than moving the original.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Be warned, if you go to a conscientious dispenser of propane, you will have to let him into your Interstate to verify that the propane is switched off before he'll put any in your tank, since it's an NFPA58 requirement— most states have adopted some version of NFPA58 for their standard, but not always the same edition. That's one reason why most people leave the original switch, but add a second switch inside rather than moving the original.
Good information to know.. If it becomes a problem I can easily add another switch.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Atlanta , Georgia
Actually let me reply with a public service announcement for benefit of future readers considering moving this switch. There is another good reason to leave the original switch as it is and just cut one wire to add the second one in series somewhere inside the cabin.

I read on another forum that if you inadvertently forget to turn the switch off besides the safety hazard and potential code hassles it can mess up the regulator leading to an expensive repair. Having the switch outside right by the fill point is extra insurance in case you forget to turn off the one inside the cabin.

Brian
Old 09-12-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
the threaded area on the swith isn't long enough to get the nut on, I like it better this way anyway, a real clean look.

Jeff
Most of us just routed out the back to allow the body of the switch to recess into the back of the panel. That way you can get the nut on.