Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamaron View Post
Question:
Why move the switch?
Is there a problem tuning on valve and leaving on while your using Coach?
When you exit or are done using it can't touch just turn off?
I don't understand all the fuss to move switch
The remote solenoid valve uses a solenoid so when the propane is on, there is a constant current draw. In order to keep this from draining your battery bank, you have to turn the propane off. Given the very funky design of the latch for the cover on the outside of the camper, I like to be able to switch it on/off from inside.

AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #30

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Question:

Why move the switch?
The switch is not in the most convenient place to access it and the cover for the existing switch takes an inordinately large number of turns to either open or close the hatch to gain access to the existing switch. You have to get down on your hands and knees to see the switch and at my age and stage of life I can do it, but I much prefer not to. Basically it is a pain in the nether regions of the human anatomy to use the switch in the standard location.
Quote:
Certainly that can be done, but there are safety issues with leaving the valve open while on the road. Vibration on the road could cause a gas valve to open, if the furnace or hot water heater were left on the pilot could be blown out by the 60 to 70 mph wind outside. In the event of a wreck that last thing you want is a leaking propane line in the unit.
Quote:
Not sure what you meant by "can't touch just turn off" but turning the outside switch off is still a PITA and if the weather is bad it becomes a major PITA.
Quote:
I can sum it up in one word. "convenience". By-the-way I am not an advocate of moving the switch. Rather adding a second switch in series with the original. The original switch is located where it is for the convenience of the person filling the propane tank, not the vehicle operator. The second switch is for the convenience of the vehicle operator.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Also as Protag has pointed out in the past, it is a legal requirement for the switch to be next to the fill valve.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:59 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Reasons:

1. When in the "on" position it draws a little under an amp, 24-7 to keep the solenoid open. Your house batteries will thank you. Much easier to turn it on/off when you need it to save depleting the batteries, and since it is right near the water heater switch, it is very convenient to turn on and off. I turn it off when I don't need propane. I do not leave my water heater on, for instance, because I don't like the "ka-whoosh" sounds it makes directly under my head at night.

2. When on the road, the gas is open to the curbside rear panel. Someone hits you there, ka-boom. That's reason enough for me right there.

Gerald

Quote:
Question:

Why move the switch?

Old 10-01-2013, 10:17 AM   #33
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Since late-model Interstates have all-electric refrigerators, there's no particular need to leave the propane on while traveling— unless you're traveling in winter and want to run the furnace while en route.

I haven't added a second switch inside; I still just use the outside switch. I open the cover when I arrive at the campground, leave it open as long as I'm not going to be driving anywhere, and only close it again when I pack up to leave after confirming the propane is shut off. With the cover already open it's not a major issue to flip the outside switch to turn the propane on and off.

Sure would have been nice if Airstream made the cover latch with an interrupted thread, though. Then it would just be a quarter turn to open it, and a quarter turn to close it again, and not 22 half-turns to open and close it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:22 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The main reason I added the second switch in series was to allow me to start the generator when under way for the air conditioner or the microwave.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:36 AM   #35
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The main reason I added the second switch in series was to allow me to start the generator when under way for the air conditioner or the microwave.
Of course. I should have thought of that. Maybe I forgot because I don't use my rooftop a/c or microwave while underway, but I have used my furnace underway.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote