Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2016, 01:37 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bedford , Texas
Motor scooter carrier

What does the collective knowledge think of having a two scooter carrier attached to trailer hitch? 500 lb tongue weight on Sprinter. With 2 scooters and carrier total weight is 466 lb. Would really like to not pull a toy trailer if possible.
GFtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Should be doable. However, watch out for reductions in your van's departure angle. Using a 2" drop hitch, mounted upside down to provide 2" of rise, may help if that proves to be a problem— but may cause the carrier to interfere with opening the rear doors even when the scooters are not loaded. Up to you which is more important, not having the carrier drag the ground on inclines or opening the doors after you've unloaded the bikes.

Also watch out that the scooters do not obstruct your license plate. A license plate bracket mounted to the carrier will help if that proves to be a problem— if you'll be driving at night the new bracket should be lighted, which can be accomplished by setting it up to plug into your 7-pin connector (even though you'll only need the taillight pin to be powered).
Old 07-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
I think it is rated for that much but would be almost at max recommended. May limit what you can bring and store inside the rear of your AI.

Have you seen the hitch mounted carriers that also have wheels? May also help to not drag the rear.

www.cruiserlift.com
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:08 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bedford , Texas
I have not. is there a brand name I can search? thanks.
Old 07-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bedford , Texas
Sorry Ron. Didn't see the link!!! Like opening mouth before engaging brain
Old 07-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFtex View Post
That's because the link wasn't there
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
500 lbs on a hitch ball is very different than 500 lbs applied feet several aft of the hitch ball location. Most carriers position loads like scooters some distance out.

First issue is the strength of the receiver, with respect to the bending moment, both static (at rest) and due to any bouncing of the load.

Next issue is the multiplying effect on the rear axle. You will be adding much more than 500 lbs to the rear axle.

Next issue is the reduced weight on the front (steering) axle, due to the leverage applied by the carrier.

Proceed cautiously.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
500 lbs on a hitch ball is very different than 500 lbs applied feet several aft of the hitch ball location. Most carriers position loads like scooters some distance out.

First issue is the strength of the receiver, with respect to the bending moment, both static (at rest) and due to any bouncing of the load.

Next issue is the multiplying effect on the rear axle. You will be adding much more than 500 lbs to the rear axle.

Next issue is the reduced weight on the front (steering) axle, due to the leverage applied by the carrier.
The van is only rated for a 500-pound tongue weight. However, the hitch receiver itself— and by extension its connection to the frame— is rated for a 750-pound weight (if my memory can be trusted— verify before installation). That is the rated load with a suitable factor of safety, and not the ultimate strength of the receiver. The nearly-500-pound load on the receiver may affect front/rear weight distribution, but is highly unlikely to cause a catastrophic failure of the receiver.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #9
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The van is only rated for a 500-pound tongue weight. However, the hitch receiver itself— and by extension its connection to the frame— is rated for a 750-pound weight (if my memory can be trusted— verify before installation). That is the rated load with a suitable factor of safety, and not the ultimate strength of the receiver. The nearly-500-pound load on the receiver may affect front/rear weight distribution, but is highly unlikely to cause a catastrophic failure of the receiver.
It appears from the upfitter guide that the same hitch may be used on vans with the same wheelbase, but different rear overhangs. With the 170" wheelbase, and the same rear axle specs, the EXT has 16" greater extension. That knocks the tongue rating from 750 to 500 (and, incidentally, the tow rating from 7500 to 5000), suggesting that rear axle loading is something that is a limiting factor. A two machine carrier (I looked at the VersaHaul) has the centre of mass of the scooter/rack combo 32" behind the receiver pin, instead of the usual 8" for a hitch ball. Seems a load derate may be in order, or at the minimum a trip to the scales.

Jeff
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 05:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFtex View Post
There are other manufacturers as well. Possible strategy: Cruise through a large hospital parking lot. You'll probably get an up close and personal view of every mobility-related carrier device ever invented, because they'll be there on the backs of parked cars. Scooters tend to be smaller than full-sized cycles and so you might get away with a smaller device, such as what is used to carry power chairs. I've seen the newer ones that have support wheels on the ground. Did not know what I was looking at, at first.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #11
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
I have several friends that use dual versa-hauls on the back of 1. a Class "A" RV, 2. a pull trailer and 3. a 5th wheel trailer. The two trailers had their hitches custom installed with extra bracing to accommodate the added hitch weight (which as others have commented, is multiplied due to the distance the load is placed behind the receiver). I for one would be leery of placing that much weight on a hitch with a vehicle manufacturers rating of 500#. I myself use a MotoTote carrying a single scooter with the total weight of scooter and carrier being 320#. I have a standard length AI. I use a small utility trailer when taking my Harley along and I can take the Harley and the scooter if needed in the trailer.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:14 AM   #12
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
This company makes the real deal. Welded joints, no bolts - powder coated with can-lock slide bar. I have a carrier that I've hauled a Harley on & my current carrier is 5+ years old and been on thousands of miles of road time loaded to limit. Don't get sucked in with $200 Chinese garbage. This is the one you want.

http://www.joehauler.com/. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469185964.578635.jpg
Views:	934
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	267470Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1469186088.377981.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	267471

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:27 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
handling

I just purchased a leftover interstate 2016 , 24'. Did adding this weight to your hitch change any of the interstates handling. Was the weight noticeable to you while driving? I'm thinking of carrying a Honda PCX 150.
Thanks
Steve
sdemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM   #14
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemino View Post
I just purchased a leftover interstate 2016 , 24'. Did adding this weight to your hitch change any of the interstates handling. Was the weight noticeable to you while driving? I'm thinking of carrying a Honda PCX 150.
Thanks
Steve
Honestly the more weight on the back, the better the van rode (or so it seemed) Just had some issues climbing mountains while pulling big trailers).

If referring to the bike hauler I honestly didn't know it was there. I've even carried full sized Harley-Davidson's on the Hitch Carrier (yes I know the 600-700# Harley exceeded the rated capacity of my hitch; but it didn't fall off )

Downside:

On the EXT like I had it does reduce departure angle substantially (so no even slightly inclined driveways).

Getting in and out of the back is a pain - basically reached over rear lounge to get anything if the bike was there.

Plus Side:

Wife could take van to mall, I could ride bike to barber shop, or wherever I needed to go.
Old 01-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
Thanks for the feedback. My driveway is the first problem.
sdemino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 07:22 AM   #16
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
The asphalt street in front of my daughters house has a nice 10" long groove where tried to pull into her drive. whoops! fortunately stopped and reversed before it dug in so bad I couldn't back out.

Here is my current Bike I take with me. Christini All Wheel Drive 450 DS
Old 01-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Never have figured how to get images to upload on computer - phone is easy!

Here is the Christini AWD 450 DS

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484404068.004681.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	278121

Mike
Old 01-14-2017, 11:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

Ours was as well until we learned to back in at the shallowest achievable angle to the curb. Ours is a 3-wide which gives us extra length to execute this maneuver. Not sure if this idea would work for you but there it is fwiw.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I've seen guys with two bike setups, like mentioned- all depends on weight.

I use an econo one that I modified a bit- works great for dirt bikes.
I ride my trials bike (OSSA Explorer) most of the time, but also have an AJP Ultrapassar shown on the back.
I added some Led lamps on the back, since the bike partially covers the taillamps. It does cover the plate - but so far I've had no issues.
I'm planning on attending the World MotoTrial this year and hauling my OSSA- but will move the plate for the long drive.
Mark

One of my buddies installed a front hitch on his pickup, hauls a bike on front and another on back.

Edit:
The carrier I got was a cheapie, but I got steel for easier welding if I desire. I did some welding on the tongue to make it tight in the receiver and it comes with a bolt setup so it is very tight.
Plus I changed it so the tyres drop down in- holding the bike better. AND I run a ratchet strap through the bike, pulling it down a long with two other straps.
I had a buddy have a bike fall off once...

Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Never have figured how to get images to upload on computer - phone is easy!

Here is the Christini AWD 450 DS

Attachment 278121

Mike
Thanks Mike - the front wheel drive system on that Christini is amazing!
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote