Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlM View Post
I you get caught using "red dyed fuel" the fine is $10,000.00

Also I would ask your Mercedes dealer if it will void the engine warranty?

You must rely on your own knowledge as most fuel attendants are not the sharpest pencil in the box
Well, that's another reason not to go thru Pennsylvania! It's $1,000 in MT on first offense and $5,000 on second offense....still a lot of money! Not worth the fine either way...
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #62
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Other than the dye on-highway and nonroad diesel have been the same since 2011.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 04:11 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Other than the dye on-highway and nonroad diesel have been the same since 2011.

Chemically the same, but priced different due to tax on highway diesel.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:32 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
On the general subject of diesel, can someone please slap these people for me? Whose brilliant idea was it to make the contents label occupy an entire 0.5% of the visible space on the dispensing apparatus?! I must have stared at this thing for two minutes wondering if I was supposed to know by telepathy that the big bold trade name at the base meant a type of diesel (or maybe something else). No wonder people sometimes make mistakes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0486.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	438.3 KB
ID:	325879
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 08:43 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
But you can save .15 a gallon with their technology!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Much better. The name of the product is highlighted and you have to press the actual button with the name printed on it to get the product to dispense.

The product was actually leaking onto the ground from a busted hose, hence the stains, but I’ll overlook that.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0504.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	472.7 KB
ID:	325933
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:21 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Based on the information in the links that some of you have provided, it seems that more frequent oils changes would be prudent due to increased fouling. Do any of you think that to be true? Are any of you changing your oil more frequently than 10,000 miles? Depending on where you live, it is likely impossible for some of us to not use biodiesel, due to state mandates.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:50 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I drive a Dodge and I certainly change my oil more often than 10,000 miles. I am at 218000 now. But whether that will help a Mercedes, I just do not know. If the problem is plugging or damaging the injectors then changing the oil would seem to be of little benefit. If the problem is the fuel not burning during the exhaust purge then maybe. The unburned fuel may end up as sludge in the oil.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I don't think biodiesel has any impact on the oil fouling/oil change interval. It might cause fouling of the injection system, may dissolve deposits out of the fuel system and clog the fuel filter, and may not have the shelf (tank) life of petroleum diesel. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an occasional tank of up to B20, but would try to have the last tank before winter storage be as low of bio% as possible.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:59 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I don't think biodiesel has any impact on the oil fouling/oil change interval. It might cause fouling of the injection system, may dissolve deposits out of the fuel system and clog the fuel filter, and may not have the shelf (tank) life of petroleum diesel. I wouldn't worry too much about getting an occasional tank of up to B20, but would try to have the last tank before winter storage be as low of bio% as possible.
Agreed, when on the road knowing that I will burn it it up I have no problem with Bio Diesel . However before getting home I make sure the last two tankfuls are Non Bio Diesel. From what I understand the biggest problem with it is Gelling when it sits around in the fuel system too long.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 10:33 PM   #71
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Are gas stations required to disclose % of bio-diesel? I have only filled up in CA, UT, NV, CO, AZ and I have not seen any signs of the percentage. Does that mean 0% or they do not want to tell. These are pretty highly regulated (even overly regulated) states and I cant imagine them getting away without disclosure. This my first diesel vehicle, so zippo experience with these issues. I feel helpless that I cant even do anything to choose which stations have or dont have bio-diesel.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:16 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I have seen numerous pumps labeled as 'up to B20'. Appears that they don't know for sure what they will get when, and don't want to have to change labels as new tankers arrive.
Some states have minimum bio requirements (IL and MN, for examples). I don't recall seeing any B labels in those states.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:44 PM   #73
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
I have seen numerous pumps labeled as 'up to B20'. Appears that they don't know for sure what they will get when, and don't want to have to change labels as new tankers arrive.
Some states have minimum bio requirements (IL and MN, for examples). I don't recall seeing any B labels in those states.
It is very common for stations to not know what they are getting in a shipment.

As to minimum requirements, it varies by location, but in some locations the minimum% doesn't apply to every litre or gallon, it applies as a blended % across all the fuel sold. Where I am located, with a xx% ethanol requirement, some stations will offer ethanol free fuel and sell 10% or so of their fuel that way, then just put more ethanol in the remaining 90% to meet the regulation.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Are gas stations required to disclose % of bio-diesel? I have only filled up in CA, UT, NV, CO, AZ and I have not seen any signs of the percentage. Does that mean 0% or they do not want to tell. These are pretty highly regulated (even overly regulated) states and I cant imagine them getting away without disclosure. This my first diesel vehicle, so zippo experience with these issues. I feel helpless that I cant even do anything to choose which stations have or dont have bio-diesel.
ALEX - quick search of the DOE Alternative Fuels Data Center had this for Federal law:
"Fuel dispensers distributing biodiesel blends containing more than 5% biodiesel by volume must include the percentage of biodiesel included.
Source: https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/BIOD/US

That means bio-diesel at or below 5% does not need to be labeled.

But when I looked for individual State laws on bio-fuel/diesel labeling it looks like only Washington state and Illinois have a law on the subject. But I only did a cursory look at the states with the most regulations and laws. You can check specific states here:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/state

Or check a specific state for Bio-diesel regulations and laws, most having to do with required percentages:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/BIOD

I have no idea who is enforcing the Federal labeling law. I dont think you can avoid some bio-diesel, at or below 5% as it is everywhere. Hopefully those selling more than 5% have it labeled. I see a lot of pumps labeled saying the diesel is bio-diesel from 5-20%.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
ALEX - quick search of the DOE Alternative Fuels Data Center had this for Federal law:
"Fuel dispensers distributing biodiesel blends containing more than 5% biodiesel by volume must include the percentage of biodiesel included.
Source: https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/BIOD/US

That means bio-diesel at or below 5% does not need to be labeled.

But when I looked for individual State laws on bio-fuel/diesel labeling it looks like only Washington state and Illinois have a law on the subject. But I only did a cursory look at the states with the most regulations and laws. You can check specific states here:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/state

Or check a specific state for Bio-diesel regulations and laws, most having to do with required percentages:
https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/laws/BIOD

I have no idea who is enforcing the Federal labeling law. I dont think you can avoid some bio-diesel, at or below 5% as it is everywhere. Hopefully those selling more than 5% have it labeled. I see a lot of pumps labeled saying the diesel is bio-diesel from 5-20%.
MIKE - Thanks for this info. I guess we get what we get, no way to avoid
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:02 PM   #76
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
RE: Post 42 -- How to fuel with diesel at a truck stop without two trips to authorize, then pay.

Download the “MyPilot” app on your smartphone, follow instructions to receive the code necessary to fill up in the truck lane. (You can also add in your Good Sam card -- and “affiliate” for a few cents off every gallon of diesel.) The app will also track how many gallons you purchase as well as “loyalty points.” You’ll also get free stuff like a coffee, fountain drink, reduced food costs and some merchandise. This app is good for both Pilot and Flying J.

Fueling is simple. Swipe your payment card at the pump, and when prompted you either use their bar code scanner, or enter a 14 digit (!) number using the pump’s keypad. You’ll receive this bar code a week or so after you apply.

If you’ve never filled your diesel at a truck pump, BEWARE! The pump speed is set for filling genormous truck fuel tanks. (Time is money for these folks and standing there to fill a few hundred gallons at the speed of regular pumps would probably generate a pump riot.) If you pull the fueling handle too far you will rapidly fill your diesel tank with foam.

There are a lot of advantages to filling in truck lanes -- most of all you NEVER have to worry about tight turns around pumps and inconsiderate gassers who inevitably fill up on the same side as the ONLY diesel pump and go inside for a 3 course meal while you’re waiting to pull in and fuel up. (Am I the only one who fumes at the idiots who do this?)

I added an auxiliary diesel tank and carry right at 70 gallons when both tanks are full. Fueling with the truckers avoids the “rookies” at the gas pumps.

Oh, most of the time you can also fill up your DEF tank as well. They have DEF pumps and nozzles .... avoiding the 2 gallon box gig.
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote