Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2018, 04:04 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Mobility Issues - I Give Up!

Guess we must sell off our two new mini Segways. As an older couple with a walking handicap, we’ve explored many ways to get around after parking somewhere in our AI. We simply can’t find a solution that fits inside the AI that solves our mobility problem.

We looked at adding something behind in a trailer or on a rack. We had to nix both ideas because we have no place to park a trailer and the AI won’t fit in the garage if we add a rack on the back.

We looked at folding bikes that could fit inside, but after buying them the wife didn’t like them, so we sold them off at half-price. We thought these mini Segways might be our answer because their weight and size would allow them to be taken along inside the AI.

Unfortunately, we’re just too old for them, so I guess we’ll sell them off, too.

I give up! Anyone got some magic solution for someone with limited walking?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniSegways.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	328700  
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
Guess we must sell off our two new mini Segways. As an older couple with a walking handicap, we’ve explored many ways to get around after parking somewhere in our AI. We simply can’t find a solution that fits inside the AI that solves our mobility problem.

We looked at adding something behind in a trailer or on a rack. We had to nix both ideas because we have no place to park a trailer and the AI won’t fit in the garage if we add a rack on the back.

We looked at folding bikes that could fit inside, but after buying them the wife didn’t like them, so we sold them off at half-price. We thought these mini Segways might be our answer because their weight and size would allow them to be taken along inside the AI.

Unfortunately, we’re just too old for them, so I guess we’ll sell them off, too.

I give up! Anyone got some magic solution for someone with limited walking?
Check out URB-E's. We ordered two at International but ended up cancelling because in FL they appear to be considered motorcycles since they don't have pedals. We rode them at International and loved them, but didn't want to deal with getting motorcycle licenses. They are bicycles in California and may be in other states.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
Trailer Sold, Waving

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Stettler , Alberta
Could you strap them to a front bumper bike rack, that you could disassemble when garaged?
WBCCI #6679
Acheron2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
IAQSTUFF - you did not mention if your mobility or walking issues also involved balance issues? Or is it just walking very long distances? If pedaling is still an option, there are also lightweight folding trikes. Or are you looking at motorized devices?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5a0d0954N15a0be92.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	328706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric-Bicycle12.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	328707  

Attached Images

Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:37 PM   #5
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
On a recent month long rv trip we wound up renting a mobility scooter at two venues. Wife and I swapped off walking and riding. We spent 5-6 hours touring each venue. One was the Museum of the Air Force in Dayton, OH (they actually loan the scooters), the other venue was Dollywood where we rented a scooter. When we got home I decided we should have our own so I ordered an Afikim C4 Breeze after much research. I also ordered an aluminum carrier that folds up when not carrying the scooter. We purchased from Discount Ramps a Tilt-a-Rack Premium Aluminum Scooter and Wheelchair Carrier. It has a built-in slide out ramp and tilts to either side. Very easy to use. As far as mobility scooters, they do have models that will seat 2 people. (not ours). We bought our scooter from a company called Discover Your Mobility but I would advise you to go elsewhere. The scooter itself is top quality designed by an Israeli company. It has good speed, range and gradient ability.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:52 PM   #6
J&J In A Can

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cottonwood , Arizona
If it was pedaling that nixed the folding bikes, take a look at electric Bromptons. You'll find them on NYCEWheels.com and many other places. They fold the smallest of any I could find. We love ours.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToWander View Post
If it was pedaling that nixed the folding bikes, take a look at electric Bromptons. You'll find them on NYCEWheels.com and many other places. They fold the smallest of any I could find. We love ours.
LOVETOWANDER - Bromptons are pretty high end folding bikes to start with. The electric option ups the ante. If pedaling was the problem, but balancing 2 wheels is still ok, and small foot print & lightweight is a need (which it is for most AI's) then the electric Brompton is tops on my list too. For an electric, it only weighs 35lbs. That is considered superlight in that category. The only downside is the $4,000 price. But good products dont come cheap
Old 11-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
They do make folding hitch cargo carriers. When not in use you can fold the carrier up and only add 7 or 8 inches to the rear of your AI. Just fyi
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
NEVER give up !!! there is something out there that will meet your needs , just takes time.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tomball , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
IAQSTUFF - you did not mention if your mobility or walking issues also involved balance issues? Or is it just walking very long distances? If pedaling is still an option, there are also lightweight folding trikes. Or are you looking at motorized devices?
Could you tell me the name of the scooters in the first photo on your post, please?
texasvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:07 AM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasvette View Post
Could you tell me the name of the scooters in the first photo on your post, please?
TEXASVETTE - It is called a Notebike folding electric trike. It's an old pic, not sure if their recent models still looks like that but they have a Facebook site you can peruse through. The thing I like about it is it is a trike, easier for folks that may have balance concerns.

I first saw similar electric scooters (but 2 wheels, not trikes) being used all over Mission Bay in San Diego. They are pretty light and easily transports.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5a0d0956N69373049.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	392.7 KB
ID:	328729   Click image for larger version

Name:	5a0d0913N43a35f8b.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	328730  

Name:	20181129_092641.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	401.9 KB
ID:	328731   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_092718.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	633.0 KB
ID:	328732  

Name:	20181129_092731.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	316.2 KB
ID:	328733   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181129_092748.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	328734  

Old 11-29-2018, 08:34 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasvette View Post
They are manufactured by Segway and called Segway MiniPro. I have about $1350 wrapped up in the two of them after adding the optional Segway handlebars, etc. to them. One has been charged; the other has never been charged. They operate exactly like the full-sized Segways (which I loved riding) and are self-balancing. They do about 10 mph; have a 10 mile range; weigh about 30#. They have a bluetooth app that will operate them from a distance. I see Walmart carries them now. http://www.segwayminipro.com
PM me if you want more details.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
I have neuropathy in my hands and feet from chemo. Picking up something heavy and/or walking more than a block is a huge issue. Balance is only a perceived problem by our kids and grandkids - but I'm sure it'll be a reality in the near future :-)
Old 11-29-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by iaqstuff View Post
I have neuropathy in my hands and feet from chemo. Picking up something heavy and/or walking more than a block is a huge issue. Balance is only a perceived problem by our kids and grandkids - but I'm sure it'll be a reality in the near future :-)
IAQSTUFF - Very sorry to hear this. We went through this experience (rounds of chemo) many years ago when my mom dealt with her cancer. With the help of today's medical advances, she beat it. I hope & wish you have/will too. Mom has long passed on now but not from cancer or its effects. Don't give up on this or any fight. So we just eliminate 2 wheelers or pedal power. There are still many choices in electirc trikes category, even folding ones. Will reach out to some dealers I know and see what is available. There's lots choices out there. The only unfortunate thing in the cycling industry is the lighter stuff means aerospace quality titanium or carbon fiber and that translates to big $$ Ugh! Don't want to scare you, but sky is the limit when it comes to bikes/trikes.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
If weight is an option, you might consider these carbon fiber folding electric bikes - we just ordered two to haul around in the RV and they are also better suited to our limited condo storage space.

www.ridecarbo.com
Old 11-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
"It is easier to ride the horse in the direction it is going."

Have you considered a change of lifestyle altogether?

Letting go of our routines is one of life's hardest lessons IMO.

How about graduating to a walker and/or cane?

Older relatives of ours were stubborn, and resisted change . . .

. . . until they fell and broke hips and so forth . . . and change presented itself without them having any choice in the matter.

No fun!

Good luck,

Peter

PS -- "To everything, there is a season . . . "
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:43 AM   #17
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC-AV8R View Post
If weight is an option, you might consider these carbon fiber folding electric bikes - we just ordered two to haul around in the RV and they are also better suited to our limited condo storage space.

www.ridecarbo.com
RCAV8R - those ebikes are pretty lightweight at 13.9kg especially considering they are folding & electric. If OP is still able to use 2 wheels rather than trikes, definitely takes less room in rv and much lighter to carry in/out.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The Carbon bike looks excellent, but my favorite is the Mate X 750: reasonable price, 50 mile range and top speed up to 30mph when its limiter is unlocked.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/m...olding-ebike#/
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Mobility Issues and Changing lifestyles...

We appreciate all the feedback.

Balance is no problem for me. I love the idea of the electric bikes, but the wife won't ride a bike anymore; hence, we sold the two folding Dahons we had.

Anyone who has ridden a Segway knows how much fun they are but there comes a time when you realize you are no longer in your first childhood. I really thought the mini Segways were perfect for the AI (still think so), but we ARE changing our lifestyle. That is the reason we decided to sell the mini Segways instead of using them.

Again, we appreciate all the feedback. Guess I'll just continue to meander along slowly - I'll catch up with those walking when they stop to rest.
Old 12-01-2018, 01:04 PM   #20
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
The risk of a stumble or slip should not be ignored. It takes a long time to heal, a long time and a lot of pain. Dump the long distance walking and enjoy the near stuff, every day. Mobility is generally not required on a regular basis as long as you can safely get in and out of the coach. That mobility must be preserved as long as possible.

Son's FIL rents a scooter at Disney World and similar. Look into it. Sometimes, the problem is best solved with an alternate approach. In this case, you are getting old. Wife says no. You need to adjust to that reality and maximize what it brings you.

Travel with friends can help expand your scope. The President of the WBCCI unit that held the last rally we attended brought his mother. Over 90 years old. She towed her AS until she was about 84. She was still enjoying the RV life with her memories and the joy of others.

Keep swinging and enjoy. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote