Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Mid-bath T1N. Antifreeze into fresh water?

I have 2006 Initerstate, mid-bath. (Special 75th annaversay edition, meaning it has an extra emblem)
I have no trouble blowing the water from the lines, draining etc. The problem I have is making sure to get either all the water out of the water pump, or introducing anti-freeze into it.

Some describe undoing the inlet on the pump, then fitting a hose with the other end in the jug of antifreeze. Simply turn on the pump and done.

But on mine, while I can undo the inlet, the water lines are quite stiff and short, so no way I can move it out of the way enough to fit anything on it.
I suppose I could undo both ends and just bring the pump inside, but I'd like a better solution.
I ended up putting antifreeze in then tank, which is a pain to get all out since the drain is not on the bottom in my vehicle.

Any ideas?

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:56 PM   #2
jkwoodrow

1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Springfield , Ohio
I did that once and it took a long time to get the water clear again. I mean like half a season long. If you can easily remove the pump at least you know IT won't freeze.
John Woodrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We have always put antifreeze directly into the fresh water tank, run it with the pump until it comes out into the faucet, toilet and hand held shower.

I have a mid bath, and it has a drain valve near the floor by the fresh water tank, under the sink area in the galley....turn that to completely drain your fresh water tank before adding the antifreeze.

When ready to dewinterize, don't add water to your freshwater tank until you have pumped as much of the antifreeze thru as possible, then do partial tanks to flush it all thru before filling to sanitize.

It is a bit of a pia, but the price we pay...

Maggie
Old 02-06-2017, 03:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
On mine the fresh water drain won't drain it all. It is up the side enough, plus the line that goes through the floor goes UP a little first- so must be an inch or so of fresh water left (well- that is at the front of the tank- with the back raised a bit. So no water in the rear of the tank)

The lines are quite stiff- and I don't want to chance breaking anything (like moving the drain).

thanks for the ideas.

Mark
Old 02-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
It may not be enough water left in there to affect your antifreeze...we always do 3 gallons.

Might call the service department at the Mother ship and see what they have to say.

Maggie
Old 02-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Does the owner's manual reveal anything on winterizing?

Wonder why the tank drain isn't on the bottom. Strange.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The owners manual does speak to winterizing, and there are also pictures....

Maggie
Old 02-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
They talk about draining it with the valve (which works, but not fully on mine). Thne antifreeze in the tank.

I did that when I parked it for a month (in Hawai'i)- and it was effective.
But a pain to get all the antifreeze out (especially when it won't drain all the way.

Perhaps I'll look into modifying the lines this spring.

Mark
Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Sounds like it is time to install a winterizing kit. They cost about $10.00
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG Twinkie View Post
Sounds like it is time to install a winterizing kit. They cost about $10.00
I looked it up, I did not know those existed!
Now to see if I can manage to get such a fitting with minimal space.
That would certainly Make it easy.

Thanks for the tip.

Mark
Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
On mine the fresh water drain won't drain it all. ...
I'm not sure I understand fully from written description alone, but you might want to check your system for scum build-up if you are seeing anything less than freight-train drainage.

There's a small, soda-cap-looking stainless steel screen in the line near the pump. If that thing is fouled, it can restrict drainage in the vicinity of the pump.

After we bought our Interstate, we had to go through cycle after cycle of purging the scum / bacteria out of the water system, mostly via catching successive waves of it in the screen, but also by bleaching and purging the fresh water tank itself. The scum had apparently built up in the lines and the tank, and pieces would break off and choke the entire system whether we were trying to pump or drain.

We never would have figured out what was causing the problems if another 2007 Interstate owner hadn't advised us to check for this issue.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:50 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The scum in fresh water system is common problem in a system that sits idle in hot weather. I had some in my tank one year. Treating is with bleach cleared the problem. Now I drain and sanitize the water system after each trip to prevent the scum build up.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Here is my freshwater tank drain.
As you can see, it going into the lower edge, but will not drain it all because of the space the fitting takes.
If you look, you can see the water left in the tank even after draining. It looks very clean in there.

I did notice that the water pump fitting appears to be screwed into the glued-in fitting. If so, that could make fitting an antifreeze inlet really easy.
Anyone know if those are just screwed in? I don't want to break anything...

thanks for all the input.
Mark

Old 02-07-2017, 04:48 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
There should be a handle that you turn, near the tank, to drain your tank completely.

Mine is located alongside the tank, in the front, slightly behind a metal panel near the floor, under the sink area of the galley.

Yours must have the same.

If you can't get this resolved, might call the service department at JC and see if they can help you.

Magfie
Old 02-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #15
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Small amounts of water (1/2" range) in a tank causes no problems. If the water freezes, iy simply shatters or buckles upward in the center. There is not enough force on the tank to harm it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
But a 1/2" of water remaining will make it difficult to completely sanitize the tank and also will be a petri dish for some strange growths during extended storage times.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 06:18 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
That water also makes it hard to flush antifreeze...

I do have the drain valve, but it doesn't drain from the bottom.

Once i install a valve so I can add antifreeze INTO the pump and not the tank- it should be fine.

I don't for see storing it for very long- or even winterizing it very long. It is rare for freezing much here (except this year)

Mark
Old 02-07-2017, 06:56 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
Drive up onto some blocks or a curb that tilts the van in the direction you need to empty the tank?
ijustlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
I did pump more air in the rear air bags- so it is tilted quite a bit. But good idea.

Maggie, I know you have the same model, but yet must have changed the drain slightly between years.

I'll try to find out if I can remove the tank to pump line- replace with Pex or something and install a valve for introducing antifreeze.
Also see if I can move the drain hose slightly (still won't drain all the way)

Thanks all

Marl
Old 02-07-2017, 09:19 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
I did pump more air in the rear air bags- so it is tilted quite a bit. But good idea.

Maggie, I know you have the same model, but yet must have changed the drain slightly between years.

I'll try to find out if I can remove the tank to pump line- replace with Pex or something and install a valve for introducing antifreeze.

Also see if I can move the drain hose slightly (still won't drain all the way)

Thanks all

Marl

You called yourself Marl again.... I'm on my phone and I can't find the emojis...
:-)
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote