Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-25-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Merry Christmas EVERYONE-Questions NOT urgent-Enjoy

I took my new AI on a couple of hundred mile trip for Christmas. I am using the unit as my bedroom at night. Questions:
  1. The temp in Birmingham, AL is 29-31 for 3 hours in the middle of the night. Using just batteries, I put on my tank heaters for most of that time. Was this correct?
  2. The days, except for today, have not been sunny. So Solar charging is not great. When I see the "House Batteries" red instead of green; I put on the generator for a couple of hours to give the batteries some charge. Was this correct?
  3. During the day, I am turning off the house electrical from the red switch at the door. My hope is what ever sun I get, goes to the batteries. I am assuming the solar charge works with this house battery switch on OFF. Was this correct?
  4. I am not using the federator or freezer, so I put the temp to "1" on both to reduce the need for the condenser to pull to much electrical. Was this correct?
Thanks to all and let this upcoming year provide freedom, health, joy and happiness.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Lake Oswego , Oregon
Merry Christmas..... I would not recommend using the Tank Heaters on house batteries. Those heaters are a big drain. Recommend using the tank heaters only when using shore power or while running the generator.
joe rv guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 04:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
Ditto on not using the tank heater on batteries and also not necessary at those temperatures, for such a short period of time. If you are not using the fridge why not turn it off too?
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post
The temp in Birmingham, AL is 29-31 for 3 hours in the middle of the night. Using just batteries, I put on my tank heaters for most of that time. Was this correct?
If temperatures are only below freezing for about 3 hours, there's no need for tank heaters at all. The water won't be cold enough— for long enough— to freeze.
Quote:
When I see the "House Batteries" red instead of green; I put on the generator for a couple of hours to give the batteries some charge. Was this correct?
Yes. That's what the generator is for. Since the generator needs to house batteries in order to start, better to start the generator before the house batteries get too low— otherwise you might not have enough house battery power left to even start the generator.
Quote:
During the day, I am turning off the house electrical from the red switch at the door. My hope is what ever sun I get, goes to the batteries. I am assuming the solar charge works with this house battery switch on OFF. Was this correct?
Solar charges the house batteries whenever there is enough sunlight, regardless of the house battery disconect switch position. However, turning off the main disconnect does NOT turn off the inverter/charger. You can still draw 120vAC through the inverter even with the house batteries switched off. Also set the inverter to "Charge Only" to prevent drawing 120vAC while charging on solar in your case.
Quote:
I am not using the federator or freezer, so I put the temp to "1" on both to reduce the need for the condenser to pull to much electrical. Was this correct?
Turn off the breaker for the fridge/freezer (it's 12vDC/120vAC and defaults to 120vAC whenever there is 120vAC available. Note that switching the inverter/charger to "Charge Only" as per my answer to the previous question accomplishes the same thing; if there's no 120vAC for any appliance, there's none for the fridge/freezer either. Alternately (and preferably) turn the fridge/freezer dials to "0" if there is a "0" setting. If you're not using them at all then there's no point running them at all.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:47 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Moncks Corner , South Carolina
Your answer helps me also. Thanks.
Delores is offline   Reply With Quote