Old 03-17-2019, 08:21 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Idaho Falls , Idaho
Mercedes maintenance

First of all, I am a strong believer in preventive maintenance most importantly for safety but also because I hate being stopped on the edge of the road. However I have to wonder at Mercedesí recommended (required?) maintenance.

I called the Salt Lake Mercedes dealer (closest to Idaho Falls) to schedule getting the two airbags replaced under the recall. While there I wanted to do the regular maintenance. My Sprinter is a 2013 with 40k miles.

First is it an A service ($400) or B service ($700) which includes a brake fluid flush (they say it absorbs moisture). Then they recommend that every two years, regardless of miles, you do a transmission flush for another $625. And at 40k you need a fuel filter for another $350. All of sudden I have a $2k visit with tax.

Over the years I have had numerous dealers recommend service on my other vehicles that was not called for in the owner manuals. Plus 40k seems kind of early for some of this. However it is a heavy vehicle and puts a lot of wear on the systems.

Is all this necessary?

Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Welcome to the world of MB! All sound typical and reasonable as well as recommended by MB service manual you should have been given with the van. Last time I visited I needed to replace the glow plugs and oil filter. Kiss $1800 goodbye!

Old 03-17-2019, 08:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Mercedes offers an 8 year prepaid maintenance plan for around $4,800. Sounds spendy but it yields a huge savings over time. I purchased one for my 2018 Unity. On my previous AI (2015) I purchased a 6 year prepaid maintenance plan (that's what they had at that time) that cost $2400. When I had the 4 year service done the service writer told me that had I paid retail it would have cost over $200 for that one service.
c21bill is offline   Reply With Quote