Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
May be time to move up to a larger coach

We have really enjoyed our 2013 Interstate EXT and have put 24,000 miles on it during the nearly two years we have owned it. It was our first RV so everything was new to us. We have come to love RV'ing and want to do more and stay out longer.

While we have taken two separate month long trips in our coach and have enjoyed them, there are times we wish we had a bit more room...and a quieter AC. We are at the point where we want to travel for a couple months or more at a time so we have decided to look for a somewhat larger coach. I have been keeping the AI in a 25'x40' storage building with a 12' high door. Finding a small class A diesel pusher that will fit through that door, and have at least close to the quality of the AI, has been a challenge.

We recently discovered that the 32' Tiffin Allegro Breeze has a 11'2" height. Last week we looked at a used one and we were very impressed with the quality. While it will not get the mileage of the AI, it does get respectable mileage for that type of unit. When I turned the key on, the cumulative mileage was showing 12.5 mpg. I can live with that. We are looking forward to new adventures.

This is a great forum and I have enjoyed being involved. All new AI owners should be spending time here. They will learn a lot.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
We have really enjoyed our 2013 Interstate EXT and have put 24,000 miles on it during the nearly two years we have owned it. It was our first RV so everything was new to us. We have come to love RV'ing and want to do more and stay out longer.

While we have taken two separate month long trips in our coach and have enjoyed them, there are times we wish we had a bit more room...and a quieter AC. We are at the point where we want to travel for a couple months or more at a time so we have decided to look for a somewhat larger coach. I have been keeping the AI in a 25'x40' storage building with a 12' high door. Finding a small class A diesel pusher that will fit through that door, and have at least close to the quality of the AI, has been a challenge.

We recently discovered that the 32' Tiffin Allegro Breeze has a 11'2" height. Last week we looked at a used one and we were very impressed with the quality. While it will not get the mileage of the AI, it does get respectable mileage for that type of unit. When I turned the key on, the cumulative mileage was showing 12.5 mpg. I can live with that. We are looking forward to new adventures.

This is a great forum and I have enjoyed being involved. All new AI owners should be spending time here. They will learn a lot.
Funny I'm at the same place. My 2016 has 18k miles. The Sprinter platform has been totally problem free. But after a while it gets tiresome yelling "watch your head" for the front tv and "clear the deck" when you want to maneuver through the van. I'm getting ready for a longer trip this Spring so the time may be right. I have been looking at coaches up to 33' which I don't want to go past so that I can park it in my garage courtyard. What I have found is there are no real luxury coaches until you reach at least 40ft. Very disappointed that no one has addressed this segment. At this point I think I am going to wait and see what the new Airstream Class b plus (C) looks like and if it will work. If they do it right it may be the best option for me. Good luck!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleydeal View Post
Funny I'm at the same place. My 2016 has 18k miles. The Sprinter platform has been totally problem free. But after a while it gets tiresome yelling "watch your head" for the front tv and "clear the deck" when you want to maneuver through the van. I'm getting ready for a longer trip this Spring so the time may be right. I have been looking at coaches up to 33' which I don't want to go past so that I can park it in my garage courtyard. What I have found is there are no real luxury coaches until you reach at least 40ft. Very disappointed that no one has addressed this segment. At this point I think I am going to wait and see what the new Airstream Class b plus (C) looks like and if it will work. If they do it right it may be the best option for me. Good luck!
You might want to check this out. It is a nice looking coach and I hear good things about Tiffin, the manufacturer. Family owned since 1972 in Red Bay, AL.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...zeBrochure.pdf
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
Van By The River , Georgia
jerhofer and Harleydeal,

We are looking for an Interstate. We had a 1998 Airstream B190 but want to upgrade to something newer. Please send us a PM if you decide to sell.

Thanks, Lucius
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
There are small Class As built on the Sprinter chassis and drivetrain. The Winnebago Via and Itasca Reyo come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. Not really any longer than an Interstate, but the extra width can make a big difference to livability.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
You might want to check this out. It is a nice looking coach and I hear good things about Tiffin, the manufacturer. Family owned since 1972 in Red Bay, AL.

http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...zeBrochure.pdf
I researched that coach and Tiffin. Tiffin makes a decent coach. However if you are looking at a pre 2016 Breeze you will see it has the Navistar Maxxforce 7 engine. I don't think you want that. I researched the engine because I was looking at a used Monaco Vesta which was only made in 2011 and 12 and had that engine also. You can Google and read the history of Navistar and that engine. Many problems and issues. Last week I actually called a Navistar repair facility and talked to the service manager. I asked him if he would ever buy a vehicle with that engine and his answer was "no". Ouch!
Old 07-14-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There are small Class As built on the Sprinter chassis and drivetrain. The Winnebago Via and Itasca Reyo come to mind, but I'm sure there are others. Not really any longer than an Interstate, but the extra width can make a big difference to livability.
I have looked at them and have to say the Interstate has spoiled us. The interiors on those are sub par. The concept is great. The execution.....not so much.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sneedville , Tennessee
Have you looked at the Leisure Travel Vans Unity model with the Murphy bed? They are hard to find but from the limited research I've done, they are top notch.
Old 07-15-2016, 07:35 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Heathrow , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprez View Post
Have you looked at the Leisure Travel Vans Unity model with the Murphy bed? They are hard to find but from the limited research I've done, they are top notch.
I have seen the Leisure Travel product and they are probably 2nd to Airstream in quality and style. I am hoping the new motorhome Airstream is coming out with in December will be an even more stylized and upgraded version of the Leisure Travel..
Old 07-15-2016, 11:02 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I think overall Tiffin manufactures a good coach that will last a long time, but they lack the style and simple elegance of an Airstream.
At Southaven RV Center, Southaven, MS, the Interstates are the nicest looking coaches there even among $400,000-$600,000 Class AS diesel pushers, Class C, fifth wheels, and travel trailers.
Some of those big diesel buses and huge fifth wheels are downright tacky and gaudy, but still look really cheap and low quality.
They are over the top, sensory overload on unnecessary bling and wow.
I'm not sure I could sleep in a place so flashy and shiny.
I like low-key understated elegance.
The travel trailers are just cheap looking, but more conservative taste in styling.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Enjoy the road ahead.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:46 AM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Well, I hear you. I have a '14 FC 19. My kids are 8 and 11. Starting to get tight. For me it all boils down to dollars. Upgrading FC 19 to a 27 is doable financially, but there are indirect things that needs to be done. First, I need another TV that can tow a larger AS. Then I need to redo my driveway to accommodate the longer AS. Dealing with three fronts like that is not doable for us. One of them is doable, 'maybe' two if I take the college fund from the kids. No way to do three.

Not sure what your situation is, but I understand where you are coming from.
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:30 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I have personally met and worked with the Tiffin family, from Bob that started it, the sons, and grandson that all still work and run it. I have never heard a bad thing about them or the motorhome service. Go by Red Bay, Al. and check them out.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have often tHought the only step up from an Airstream trailer has got to be a Tiffin Allegro Bus.
"Roughing it Smoothly"

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote