Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #21
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Good info. Has any one tried to upgrade the Kenwood/Garmen maps. I can't get their site downloaded updates to go in my Kenwood if I use my Apple computer. Do I need to use a Windows computer? The only commercial company I have asked is CarToys as they are Kenwood dealers. They did not know how to do it. Does anybody know others?
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Good info. Has any one tried to upgrade the Kenwood/Garmen maps. I can't get their site downloaded updates to go in my Kenwood if I use my Apple computer. Do I need to use a Windows computer? The only commercial company I have asked is CarToys as they are Kenwood dealers. They did not know how to do it. Does anybody know others?
guskmg

I've done it from my MacBook, but it requires you to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin on your MacBook first. Then it asks for an SD card to be inserted in your Mac, and hit enter. You then insert it into the SD slot behind the Kenwood screen, put in the instructions to display the map level and it writes something to the SD card, which you then put back in your Mac, hit enter, and it responds with "yes, your map is out of date, we will charge $69.99". You eventually use the SD card to download the new map and go though the process again to transfer it to the Kenwood.
Sigh! I know it's a real pain, but with patience it does work.
Good luck.....Peter

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:27 PM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
guskmg
Last time I updated the maps was a little over a year ago. You have to insert a thumb drive into the USB port of the Garmin and download the installed edition info. Then you plug the thumb drive into the computer and access the Garmin webpage. Download the map update to the same thumb drive. Then back to the van to plug the thumb drive back into the USB port, and you should be able to install the update.

Trying to plug a computer directly into the Garmin won't work. The computer treats the Garmin as a peripheral. The Garmin doesn't like being peripheral to a computer. The Garmin has to think it's in charge, and that's why you've got to use the thumb drive, so it's peripheral to the Garmin.

In that regard it's completely different from the portable Garmins that update by plugging them directly into a computer.

On Edit— Unlike UKDUDE, my Kenwood/Garmin will not update firmware or maps with an SD Card (I've tried). It requires a USB thumb drive. Maybe that's because mine is a DNX7160 and his is a newer model?