Old 01-19-2015, 07:03 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
On my 2013 Interstate that AV connector is just tied to the front TV. It's a video input option for a device that does not have HDMI connector.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #16

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
San jose , California
Thank you for the reply. I will check that. I also have a switch as reported by protagonist in the passenger side of my front TV for speaker to TV being off or on. Does this switch really direct the sound from TV to the Van's speakers(through the DNN990HD)? Haven't figured that out yet. If that is the case then why to wire separately to the Kenwood unit? Anyone else has this switch and knows what it Does?
Thanks

Old 01-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That switch turns the TV speakers off and lets you listen thru the earphones.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby-doo View Post
Thank you for the reply. I will check that. I also have a switch as reported by protagonist in the passenger side of my front TV for speaker to TV being off or on. Does this switch really direct the sound from TV to the Van's speakers(through the DNN990HD)? Haven't figured that out yet. If that is the case then why to wire separately to the Kenwood unit? Anyone else has this switch and knows what it Does?
Thanks
The 2nd row seats have sockets for listening to the TV through headphones. Hence the requirement to switch off the TV speakers so the front row can listen to the radio!
Old 01-21-2015, 04:55 PM   #19

San jose , California
Fantastic. Thank you.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Update

If you go back to the my first post you will see that I wanted to hardwire the TV to make it work with the radio speakers. After taking loose the windshield post trim and seeing an airbag in the way, I switched over to using a Bluetooth transmitter. I had coiled up the wiring from the radio in the glove box and had an extension cable that I could use to hook up the wiring. Unfortunately, this meant cables dangling in the cab area.

After using the Bluetooth now for a few months, I noticed that the sound was better when I used the direct wiring. Also, there was occasionally a lag in the audio reflected in seeing lip movement not synchronized to the actual sound. So I was not completely satisfied.

While sitting in the motorhome on a rainy day in Florida, it came to me that I should try to run the wires under the floor and up the pillar between the passenger door and the sliding door. I wasn't sure if that would work but I had some time today to give it a try.

First I removed the cover over the jack and tools. I zip tied the cable from the radio to an existing cable. I then removed the trim panel at the top of the step so I could pull back the rubberized floormat. I ran the cable through the tool area to the base of the seat.

In the front overhead cabinet on the right side is a hole through which the HDMI cable from the rear TV enters this area. I fed one end of my second cable through this hole. This takes a little finessing as the RCA ends are large enough that you can only slip one end at a time through the hole.

There is enough room to get a finger or two up into this area from just above the door opening. You will have to feel around for the ends but I soon had as much cable as I wanted pulled through. I left about a foot of cable in the storage area as I needed to be able to hook up the cable that will run from the headphone jack on the side of the TV. You will need RCA female to female couplers to attach these cables.

Next I removed the top screw on the vertical door jamb trim so I could pull the trim out a bit. I also removed the tie down at the floor area. I ran the cable along the side of the overhead cabinet towards the door trim and fed it down to the trim. I then pulled the trim out at the top and fed the cable behind the trim over to the rubber door seal. From here it was a matter of pulling back on the rubber seal and inserting the cable into the gap between the trim and the metal.

Eventually I had the cable at the floor level. Here I removed the aluminum strip that runs just behind the seats. I also removed some of the screws on the black plastic trim in the step area so I could pull it up. And I pulled up the rubber floor mat under the passenger seat. I fed the cable from the rubber seal to the rear of the seat base.

Now I had the cable on both sides of the seat base. Initially I was planning on running the cable along the plastic trim in the step area for the passenger seat but that trim was difficult to remove and there was very little clearance between the trim and the steel below. Then I noticed that there was an existing hole at the rear of the seat base. The hole was too small but that could be easily remedied. But how to get access to the inside of the seat base. When I pulled up the skirt on the side of the passenger seat, I cold see that the panel that held the awning switch could be removed. Now I had a relatively large hole that allowed me to work under the seat base.

To enlarge the rear hole I used a step bit and soon had that hole big enough to get the cable ends through. I made it somewhat larger that it needed to be for the cable so I could install a rubber grommet.

The low part of the front of the seat base is double walled. I had to drill a hole from the outside through both panels, which are about a 1/2" apart. Once I had the hole started, I used the step bit again to enlarge the hole for the cable and grommets. Now I had both cables under the seat where it was simply a matter of hooking them up.

From here it was time to put everything back together. No more wires dangling!!!! On the radio I now select the "Game" option and I am ready to hear the TV over the radio speakers. We are leaving for California for a month long trip next week. When I get back I may tackle upgrading the speakers.

jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:30 PM   #21
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Good info. Has any one tried to upgrade the Kenwood/Garmen maps. I can't get their site downloaded updates to go in my Kenwood if I use my Apple computer. Do I need to use a Windows computer? The only commercial company I have asked is CarToys as they are Kenwood dealers. They did not know how to do it. Does anybody know others?
guskmg
Old 05-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
Good info. Has any one tried to upgrade the Kenwood/Garmen maps. I can't get their site downloaded updates to go in my Kenwood if I use my Apple computer. Do I need to use a Windows computer? The only commercial company I have asked is CarToys as they are Kenwood dealers. They did not know how to do it. Does anybody know others?
guskmg

I've done it from my MacBook, but it requires you to install the Garmin Communicator Plugin on your MacBook first. Then it asks for an SD card to be inserted in your Mac, and hit enter. You then insert it into the SD slot behind the Kenwood screen, put in the instructions to display the map level and it writes something to the SD card, which you then put back in your Mac, hit enter, and it responds with "yes, your map is out of date, we will charge $69.99". You eventually use the SD card to download the new map and go though the process again to transfer it to the Kenwood.
Sigh! I know it's a real pain, but with patience it does work.
Good luck.....Peter

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #23
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
guskmg
Last time I updated the maps was a little over a year ago. You have to insert a thumb drive into the USB port of the Garmin and download the installed edition info. Then you plug the thumb drive into the computer and access the Garmin webpage. Download the map update to the same thumb drive. Then back to the van to plug the thumb drive back into the USB port, and you should be able to install the update.

Trying to plug a computer directly into the Garmin won't work. The computer treats the Garmin as a peripheral. The Garmin doesn't like being peripheral to a computer. The Garmin has to think it's in charge, and that's why you've got to use the thumb drive, so it's peripheral to the Garmin.

In that regard it's completely different from the portable Garmins that update by plugging them directly into a computer.

On Edit— Unlike UKDUDE, my Kenwood/Garmin will not update firmware or maps with an SD Card (I've tried). It requires a USB thumb drive. Maybe that's because mine is a DNX7160 and his is a newer model?

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote