Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2014, 01:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

scottsdale , Arizona
Making switch to 2014.5 - some ??

Hi everyone- we are trading in our 2012 interstate for a new 2014.5 ext (could not pass up extra room and new features). I have a few questions for owners of the 2014.5-

1) I understand with the new magnum inverter you can keep the van plugged in at all times while in storage? Is this correct. We stored the old one outside and the AZ sunshine kept batteries charged well but our new storage location is undercover.

2) Did they fix issue with not be able to keep toilet seat up unless the bathroom extender panel is open?

3) are the new tvs really 22" samsung with blu ray? that would be a huge upgrade over the old off brand tvs

4) How is the new kenwood unit?

Thanks!
e93pvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:40 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by e93pvaz View Post
3) are the new tvs really 22" samsung with blu ray? that would be a huge upgrade over the old off brand tvs
I do not believe Samsung or anyone else makes a 22" TV/Blu-Ray combo, only 22" TV/DVD combos. I spent a lot of time and effort looking for one, by ANY manufacturer, just a couple of months ago when I replaced my rear television, and couldn't find any.

But they may have a separate Blu-Ray player that plugs into the TV.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Spent a lot of time today at Airstream L.A. Very good experience.

1) Salesman recommended keeping it plugged in when not in use.
2) Had I known the question earlier would have checked
3) Separate BluRay players for both TVs
4) Listened to it on our test drive but didn't really get into it too much.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks everyone, any current owners of the 2014.5 have more info?
e93pvaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Houston , Texas
I am curious too about the differences between the 2013 ext vs the 2014 and newer.... I think I will check with a dealer. I bought my 2011 new then when I sold it I took a beating. I miss it so looking to buy another but looking for slightly used....let someone else take the beating.
Brentsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
The newer models have a Kenwood radio/Nav unit and a Magnum inverter (necessitated by a change to the Onan generator). Also cupholders for the second row. Probably other upgrades but don't remember. It's my CRS.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
Lazy scouter

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Plano , Texas
I have the 2014.5.
The TV's are both the same, and don't have built-in DVD, instead there's a separate blu-ray player above the driver area. It's got a 4-way HDMI switcher which is nice, so I hooked up an appletv and a loose hdmi cable to plug in anything else I want.
The Stereo/ Navigation thing seems fine. Its got all sorts of wifi capability to read facebook & stuff, but unless you have internet it's not too useful.
I think it's hard to see the backup camera. For some reason it's just a dark picture, or maybe my polarized sunglasses aren't friendly with it. I need to play with it more.
My first trip will be this weekend, so I'll see how the rest works.. I'm most scared about taking a shower in that tiny room.
Nealrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealrap View Post
For some reason it's just a dark picture, or maybe my polarized sunglasses aren't friendly with it. I need to play with it more.
That's common to all model backup cameras. Between finding just the right angle for the mirror/monitor (NOT angled so you can use it as a mirror to see out the rear window when it's turned off, but rather angled so that you could use it as a mirror to see your own chest works best for me) and with the brightness dialed up, you can compensate reasonably well for polarized sunglasses, but don't look for perfection; you won't find it. Settle for "good enough."

What I find most annoying about the rear-view camera is lens flare when the sun is behind you. It looks like a vertical white bar down the entire image exactly in line with the sun, and it's very distracting. First time I saw that, I thought the camera or monitor was defective.

Most often, I leave the brightness on the middle setting so it's fine for non-polarized lenses, and just rely more upon my outside mirrors when I have to wear polarized sunglasses. When I was younger, I drove delivery vans that had no inside mirror at all, and can do well enough without it even today.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:17 PM   #9

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post

Most often, I leave the brightness on the middle setting so it's fine for non-polarized lenses, and just rely more upon my outside mirrors when I have to wear polarized sunglasses.
It took a lot of looking in stores and online, but I finally found some RayBan sunglasses with a special brown lens specifically made for use with polarized windshields, electronic devices, etc. They actually work pretty well and have the added advantage of reducing haze. A week later I went online to buy my wife a pair and they were no longer cataloged.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I use a pair of Project Rudy in "Racer Red" that work well with inside displays. They are not as dark as mirrored lens I have used in the past.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Austin , Texas
There are a lot of minor changes to the 2014.5 model. Here's a list from Airstream that I got my hands on:

1) New radiator grill for improved air flow
2) New fenders
3) New front hood
4) New Contoured Bumpers
5) Redesigned Bi-xenon headlights - extra bright and has new low and high beam lights
6) New Chrome Step and license plate holder
7) Thicker comfort grip steering wheel
8) New multifunction design on steering wheel
9) New Mercedes branded Stick Shift
10) Collision prevention system - assists drivers in avoiding collisions, sensors are located on front, visual and acoustic warnings, supplements driver in applying brake force to avoid collisions
11) Blind Spot Assist - Uses 4 radar sensors to monitor surroundings, constantly notifies driver via a red triangle on mirror if someone is next to you, acoustic beeps when turn signal is engaged with someone in your blind spot.
12) Parktronic Parking Sensor on all models - Previously only on EXT models
13) Lane keeping assist - Utilize infrared technology to monitor lane markings, auditory warning if excessive lane wandering, able to disable feature if desired.
14) Head light washer system - power spray nozzle cleans lights for better visibility
15) High beam assist - optimize high beam usage. Camera on inside of the windshield detects oncoming traffic and automatically adjusts lights.
16) New maintenance intervals of 15,000 miles for oil changes
17) Durabright non-polish wheels - dura-bright production process penetrates the aluminum so wheels keep shine after hundreds of washes.
18) Wider driver and passenger steps - 20% more step up area and anti-skid strips for safety.
19) Infinitely adjustable LED awning lights - dimmer switch to adjust next to extend/retract button.
20) Marine grade plank style flooring. I didn't like this and prefer the old Serenity floor. They installed the old floor in my 2014.5 model for me.
21) Insulated, mongrammed privacy curtain
22) New magic suede fabric - increased durability, improved stain resistance, cleans with water
23) New Samsung Blu-ray player, high def audio package, plays DVDs, built in Netflix, Youtube, and Pandora, Internet Streaming.
24) New Samsung 22 inch TV screens - 16% bigger screen in same size, high def, 1080P
25) New Kenwood DD-990 Infotainment Center with build in Wifi, eyes free voice dialing support, bluetooth music streaming, remote controlled, and Inrix route collector.
migriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Lazy scouter

Plano , Texas
Mine does have a lot of safety beeping things, it's so confusing. I must drive horribly, because it's always beeping at me for something or other.

And the rearview never really needs to be a mirror, it's not like I can see out the back windows much at all. I wish it wasn't so reflective. Maybe some anti-glare film would help too?
Old 03-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Clayton , Missouri
Took possession of 2014.5 about 8 weeks ago. We really love it. First long trip was from St. Louis to Key West and back in 10 days about about 3000 miles
Pluses:
- drives and handles really well (little sway in heavy wind)
- the technology in the rv is amazing. you may need time and PHD to figure it all out but well worth the investment. Stereo, Blue Ray, TV and GPS all excellent
-awning and lighting all really make coach feel bigger than it is
-very well laid out and appointed. finding plenty of storage and we travel with 2 adults and 2 kids
-gets tons of compliments
-great gas milage

Cons:
-not plugged into shore power the batteries drain quicker than advertised. battery draw seems to be considerable
-we are having trouble getting air flow and temperature to maintain comfortably
-drain plugs for water tanks are hard to get to
-some minor issues, when you buy new little things will need to be fixed or tightened
kduplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Lazy scouter

Plano , Texas
Making switch to 2014.5 - some ??

Kduplain, how long did the batteries last & what did you have running?
And what drain plugs are you speaking of?
On mine the reclining on the seat behind the driver doesn't work, and rotating the chairs seems to be a pain.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kduplain View Post

Cons:

I installed a 9" fan at each end of the galley counter for our recent Florida trip to alleviate the problem w/ temperature in the rear of the coach. My seven passengers said it helped. When time permits, will relocate to the underneath side of the cabinet above the galley.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:02 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Cons:
Try cranking open the extreme rear windows on each side a little to allow conditioned air from up front to pass through the entire coach and escape at the rear.
Peter
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Clayton , Missouri
Batteries in coach when parked and completely turned off last about 12 days. Coach is parked inside garage with no electric. Called AS and they told me it should last 4 weeks, no way. Boondocking with and running frig, lights and pumps my guess is 3 days. Although have not let it run completley out.

The water valves to empty tanks are behind drawer under mircowave and next to rear sofa, stuffed way down in that hole. Not improssible but not as easy as a side mount plug on the the class c I was used to.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Clayton , Missouri
Seats

My seats are good. Couple of pulls of the knobs and seats are all facing each other. The second row captains chairs do not recline much. Still find it works with TV position but could be better. We really like the way the front 4 chairs make a comfortable seating area for family games or meals.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Batteries in coach when parked and completely turned off last about 12 days. Coach is parked inside garage with no electric. Called AS and they told me it should last 4 weeks, no way. Boondocking with and running frig, lights and pumps my guess is 3 days. Although have not let it run completley out.

The water valves to empty tanks are behind drawer under mircowave and next to rear sofa, stuffed way down in that hole. Not improssible but not as easy as a side mount plug on the the class c I was used to.
Boondocking with frig, lights and water pump will only last one day in my experience. That's why I added more solar.

Those water valves don't empty the tanks, they just drain the hot and cold water lines when winterizing. Everything is tight on these B-vans compared to a Class C.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
Lazy scouter

Plano , Texas
When boondockong, can you fire up the generator for a few hours to recharge again?