Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #41
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
So you removed the solenoid altogether? Mine was replaced with a 200amp solenoid with the comment that "they always make the solenoid too small before the Magnum inverter"
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #42
Amg
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
My opinion is the selenoid adds very little to increasing battery life but is a weak link for something to go wrong. I am not mechanical and don't want to get involved in working on anything electrical.
Amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #43

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Mooresville , Indiana
Inverter - Fault - No Communication

I'm an owner of a brand new Airstream Interstate at the start of a trip with my wife and we are getting this message for the first time.

I clicked the cables - nothing
I held the grey reset - nothing
I flipped the breakers - nothing
I turned off the inverter for 15 minutes - nothing
I disconnected from shore power and kept inverter off for 15 min. - nothing

Discouraged and frustrated this is happening to such an expensive coach with no resolution.

Anything I haven't done on my 2016 Airstream Grand Tour XL?

Thanks.
coachcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Assuming the House Main Switch is on, Magnum states the following:

• No Comm - Remote is not receiving any information from the inverter.
Remedy: Reset the remote by disconnecting the remote communications cable from the inverter for 5 seconds, and then reconnect it (see Figure 2-3). If the fault continues, first check/replace the remote cable. This cable is 4-wire telephone cable.

It further states

What if the cable is not the issue?
• Try another remote display.
• Disconnect the remote from the Remote port and connect to the Net-
work port.
• The inverter might need servicing.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #45
Amg
3 Rivet Member

Had exact same problem on my 2016 coach. It was the selenoid they installed per the 164 service bulletin. Dealer replaced selenoid but disconnected it. The selenoid airstream put in is not up to the job
Old 08-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #46
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
I just finished installing a Cole Hersee solid state relay to cure the inverter
"No Comm" problem caused by the inadequate relay installed with SB 164.
I think the relay is a good idea because I have run the battery down while watching the TV and forgot to turn the inverter off afterwards.
Someone else mentioned a smell after the SB relay was installed, I had that for a while and it went away. I think it was the flux used to solder the coil wires, you can see a spot in the picture. I cut the end off the relay to see what it looked like inside. The contacts have signs of slight arcing on them but I think the pin in the coil started binding and would not pull the contacts tight causing the heat build up. It was worth a hundred bucks and a little work to not go back to the dealer and have the same junk installed again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160827_055411.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	270099  
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
What is all the orange stuff? Rust?
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Soldering flux residue. Harmless.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:51 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
Soldering flux residue. Harmless.
Why would there be flux on that spring? And washer holding it?

Flux can be corrosive so it is not harmless and should be cleaned.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:15 PM   #50
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Cheap......cheap........cheap!!!!

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Magnum Fault! No Comm

Cheap stuff, just looking at the lousy contacts. But, they use flux that supposedly doesn't need cleaning. No corrosion, so it's not the flux. That looks hand soldered, so non-activated flux would be used.

Used to be a serious automated mass production manufacturing engineer. We used activated flux in a foam system on wave soldered PC boards that could literally blow green corrosion off copper, solder perfectly, then clean off totally with just hot water. Dangerous stuff, but the solder joints were always perfect. If you had to mess with it, hazmat suit, gloves, goggles, face mask, and great care not to slop it around.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 PM   #52
Njg
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Columbia , Missouri
Solenoid definitely the problem. The airstream solenoid is underrated. Any local electrics shop can swap it out for you. Mine is going strong after upgrade from 80 amp to 200 amp.
Njg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:45 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Auburn , Georgia
Sorry for the late reply,
Amirm, That isn't rust or flux you are seeing on the spring and contact disc. The disc is a solid copper material ? and the spring is copper coated.
The solder blog seems to be very large for such a small wire leading to the magnetic coil. I have seen contacts in much worse condition that still passed power through OK. Flux has a unique smell and that is the only thing inside that would explain the odor. I still think the pin binding in this one is the problem.
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 07:56 AM   #54
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Where is Solenoid? Should I just go ahead and install a 200A to get ahead of any issue?

Mike
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:23 AM   #55
Amg
3 Rivet Member

We just disconnected selenoid. Only purpose is supposedly to reduce battery drain when coach shut off. It is located by the invertor, which in my 2016 lounge is located under side seat in rear on street side
Old 08-28-2016, 08:37 AM   #56

Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcruiser View Post
I'm an owner of a brand new Airstream Interstate at the start of a trip with my wife and we are getting this message for the first time.

I clicked the cables - nothing
I held the grey reset - nothing
I flipped the breakers - nothing
I turned off the inverter for 15 minutes - nothing
I disconnected from shore power and kept inverter off for 15 min. - nothing

Discouraged and frustrated this is happening to such an expensive coach with no resolution.

Anything I haven't done on my 2016 Airstream Grand Tour XL?

Thanks.
Just a follow-up. First thank to the forum for providing some insights.

I forgot to mention the specific items that are not getting power due to inverter (theory): TV's 1 and 2 in front and back as well as the media outlet above drivers seat and the outlet above galley on underside next to light bank. These 4 outlets have no power to them at all; all other outlets I've tested seam to work.
coachcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:42 AM   #57
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:

I forgot to mention the specific items that are not getting power due to inverter (theory): TV's 1 and 2 in front and back as well as the media outlet above drivers seat and the outlet above galley on underside next to light bank. These 4 outlets have no power to them at all; all other outlets I've tested seam to work.

These outlets are powered by the inverter unless shore power is connected. Then an internal transfer switch in the inverter powers them. If you are wanting to avoid going to the dealer and have it serviced under warranty, I'd do the following trouble shooting if you are comfortable with dealing with electrical circuits.

1) Rest the inverter. The reset is under the Road side jump seat. If that doesn't correct the issue.

2) disconnect shore power. Remove cover from over inverter (under road side jump seat). Safety first as you have live circuits under there.

3). Turn the House main switch on and confirm the main disconnect is on below the road side jump seat. If not manually close the switch.

4) Check for twelve voLts on the battery side of the SB164 solenoid. If no 12 volts, check for loose connections at both the ground terminal (near the solenoid) and the positive leads for the battery.

5) If there is power to the solenoid, check for 12 volts on the inverter side of the solenoid. If no power, check for 12 volts on the control leads to the solenoid (I think they are white and blue). If no power on the leads, check fuse.

)
Old 08-28-2016, 10:49 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
These outlets are powered by the inverter unless shore power is connected. Then an internal transfer switch in the inverter powers them. If you are wanting to avoid going to the dealer and have it serviced under warranty, I'd do the following trouble shooting if you are comfortable with dealing with electrical circuits.

1) Rest the inverter. The reset is under the Road side jump seat. If that doesn't correct the issue.

2) disconnect shore power. Remove cover from over inverter (under road side jump seat). Safety first as you have live circuits under there.

3). Turn the House main switch on and confirm the main disconnect is on below the road side jump seat. If not manually close the switch.

4) Check for twelve voLts on the battery side of the SB164 solenoid. If no 12 volts, check for loose connections at both the ground terminal (near the solenoid) and the positive leads for the battery.

5) If there is power to the solenoid, check for 12 volts on the inverter side of the solenoid. If no power, check for 12 volts on the control leads to the solenoid (I think they are white and blue). If no power on the leads, check fuse.

)

Hit send by mistake

6) These solenoid a are known to fail. However if you have 12 volts to inverter side, check for a loose power connection on the red and black leads to the inverter.

7) if that is Ok and the inverters's LED is indicating it is on, then turn off the house main disconnect, and check the connections from the inverter's 120 volt output to the breaker panel.
Old 08-28-2016, 11:23 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:

Those 4 outlets are protected by a single GFCI which on my AI is located at floor level behind the driver's seat. I'm not sure how this my be connected with a Magnum fault, but I would at least press the reset button on the GFCI and see if that makes a difference.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #60
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
Gfi

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
Those 4 outlets are protected by a single GFCI which on my AI is located at floor level behind the driver's seat.
Ha!, that little sucker has gotten me more than once. Plug something in in the blind and it's easy to hit the trip button.
VAtom is offline   Reply With Quote