Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
arlington heights , Illinois
Magnum battery monitor kit

We recently had a magnum battery monitor kit (BMK) installed on our 2013 AI along with an enhanced display and an auto generator start. The BMK does a great job on monitoring the number of amp hours stored in the battery bank (state of charge) as charged by the magnum inverter/charger. However, as it is wired, it doesn't see any energy charged in the battery bank by the engine alternator.

Does anyone else have a BMK installed? If so, can you give me so guidance on how to modify the wiring?
Old 06-20-2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
The alternator negative (-) is grounded to the vehicle frame and body. The metal coach battery is then tied to the Sprinter body. If you have the BMK Shunt tied to the ground stud on the battery box it will not measure current from alternator. Changing this to capture alternator input to coach batteries will require getting the BMK Shunt tied directly to negative terminals inside battery box. This may not be easy to do due to limited space in battery box.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Boxster is right. Looking at the Airstream wiring diagram it shows exactly that. I did not want to consider input as much as I wanted to watch output (or drain) of the battery bank, so I am not installed inside the battery box.
Old 06-20-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Toskeysam, where can I get a copy of that wiring diagram?
Old 06-21-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
I requested them from Airstream website, via support. They sent me the entire set for my unit....they have copy and distribution restrictions, but they sent them within a couple of days.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Thanks, I will request them. I figured out how to isolate the negative battery connections from the battery box using a "bulkhead connector" similar to the one used on the positive side. That should facilitate the tight quarters in the box. There are two bare copper grounds mounted to the box which I presume need to be moved to the load side of the shunt as well. Do these show up on the wiring diagrams or have either of you had experience with these? Also I a assuming that the battery box is grounded to the chassis by more that the negative battery bank connection stud.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:28 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Townsend , Tennessee
Interesting Paul........ The diagrams are schematic so they will not present specific location. The more I examine my setup, the more it looks like all I see are the contributions from the inverter/charger. May have to address when I get off the road next Fall. I prefer to enjoy the scenery outside the van just now, as opposed to the mess inside the power box.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Understood, we are going west in August. We are working the punch list in the interim. Maybe we'll see you.