Old 04-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #15
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Switch should be off. Last thing you need is for the motor to start turning on its own while you still have the screwdriver attached to it. That's a good way to get hurt.

Hose valve should be open. Trying to cycle the pump into a closed-off hose means you're working against whatever pressure builds up in the hose.

Tiato did it exactly right.
Thanks both for the heads up. Made no difference but I did get a long screw driver out of the deal. Checked the fuses again with a flashlight. From the factory (i've never touched the fuses in this scenario) the fuse for the pump and the fuse for the hose rewind were reversed. Acccording to the panel slot id supposed to be 20 amp for the pump and 15 amp for the hose rewind (protag, seperate on my AI btw). Apparently the pump got jammed a little and blew the 15 amp fuse. Pulled the 20 amp and put it in the pump slot and put a new 15 amp in the hose rewind slot. Purrs like a kitten (albeit, with a slight intestinal problem). 2nd time i've found a wrong fuse in a slot. Thanks again for the troubleshooting help. Always better than a dealer service visit.

Old 04-22-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Flemington , New Jersey
Great news. Its frustrating to discover after the fact that it was a fuse and to make matters worse the wrong amperage to boot. Sometimes its hard to see whether or not the fuse is blown when looking at the panel.

At any rate, sooner or later you will need that screwdriver. Better to have the right tool and not use it than not having it at all.

Tiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkinglet View Post
Acccording to the panel slot id supposed to be 20 amp for the pump and 15 amp for the hose rewind (protag, seperate on my AI btw).
My memory might be faulty on that score. Or else it's just another undocumented change from one model year to the next. Between the two, I'm more inclined to go with faulty memory.

Either way, glad you found the problem.

I carry a pocket flashlight in the glove box, and when I need to check a fuse, I pull the fuse, and put the light behind the fuse to back-light it. Makes it easier to see if the fuse is blown.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:20 PM   #18
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
My memory might be faulty on that score. Or else it's just another undocumented change from one model year to the next. Between the two, I'm more inclined to go with faulty memory.

Either way, glad you found the problem.

I carry a pocket flashlight in the glove box, and when I need to check a fuse, I pull the fuse, and put the light behind the fuse to back-light it. Makes it easier to see if the fuse is blown.
Great idea. Isn't a red warning light supposed to glow if the fuse is blown? Forgot how many new blade fuses I had accumulated over the years in my "AI electrical box." Nice to have a fresh 15 at the ready. Thanks again for the advice on making sure the switch is off before putting my new large screw driver to the pump. I could see myself launched across the storage area by how fast it spins. Whew!
Old 03-13-2017, 11:27 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
Macerator is a PITA

If there is one piece of equipment that gives me the biggest headaches in my 2014 AI...it is the Macerator. I was wondering if anybody has found a better solution to the macerator/pump that comes as standard equipment on the AI. Mine seems to blow a fuse every time I use it. I have taken to buy a box of 20 Amp fuses. It is very frustrating.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:39 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I have heard of other non-Airstream Sprinter-based rigs being built with a conventional gravity bypass to the macerator, such that when it fails, the owner can move efficiently to Plan B, which is a conventional stinky slinky discharge. I may be thinking of Great West Vans, which essentially went bankrupt in 2015.

However I have not heard of anyone retrofitting a macerator-only rig to include both options. That would be an interesting project, indeed.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I have heard of other non-Airstream Sprinter-based rigs being built with a conventional gravity bypass to the macerator, such that when it fails, the owner can move efficiently to Plan B, which is a conventional stinky slinky discharge. I may be thinking of Great West Vans, which essentially went bankrupt in 2015.

However I have not heard of anyone retrofitting a macerator-only rig to include both options. That would be an interesting project, indeed.
I did this a couple of years ago. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-92862-39.html

GM
Old 03-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I'll be danged - look at that. Post #544 (it didn't come through cleanly on the link above).
Old 03-21-2017, 05:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'll be danged - look at that. Post #544 (it didn't come through cleanly on the link above).
Thanks for getting this discussed again. I almost forgot about it and want to make this mod when it warms up here. I'm attaching a seage system diagram from the Airstream aprts book that may help some visualize the location that GM installed the T-fitting. It went in place of the flex hose shown between items 2 and 4 in the attached diagram.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	281849  

Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote