Old 06-10-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
Macerator not working

2014 AI. I got to the dump station today and was all gloved up to dump. Black/grey Valves make noise like they were opening. Flipping switch for macerator pump produces nothing. Searched/Read Air Forums as best I can on iPhone, and one said 20 amp fuse in position #9 in 12 v. distribution panel is possible culprit. I have looked under driver seat and under driver left dash, but 20 amp circuit is not in both of those locations does not match. I would appreciate a "talk on" to help solve my faulty macerator.

2014 Airstream Interstate
Currently a "Weekender" but planning a cross country trip next summer.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucet45410 View Post
I have looked under driver seat and under driver left dash, but 20 amp circuit is not in both of those locations does not match. I would appreciate a "talk on" to help solve my faulty macerator.
Wrong fuse panels. Under the rear sofa (or under one of the twin beds if you have those instead) next to the big red main 12vDC disconnect is a black- or grey-colored fuse panel. Pop off the cover. Inside the cover will be a listing of which fuse is which.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
The macerator may be jammed by solids or just lack of use, in which case it would need freeing. The book says:
"After long periods of non-use, a stuck impeller can be easily broken loose with a screwdriver inserted in the motor shaft slot. Remove the rubber boot, turn the shaft clockwise as shown, and replace the rubber boot."
Usually when it's jammed, the fuse also blows. And it should be the fuse on circuit #9, in the 12-Volt Distribution Panel under the rear sofa.
Hope you can get it running.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
UKDUDE and Protagonist, you guys nailed it! All is good here in Yellowstone! Thanks for your help as always. It was just as you described.

2014 Airstream Interstate
Currently a "Weekender" but planning a cross country trip next summer.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Was it just the fuse or was it jammed and blew the fuse?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Norfolk , Virginia
Macerator not working

Believe it was just stuck because of lack of use. I turned the motor shaft about a quarter of a turn and could immediately feel the shaft begin to freely spin. Replaced the fuse again and headed to the dump station for the third time. Everything worked as advertised. I'm a happy camper.

2014 Airstream
Old 04-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #7

Wesley Chapel , Florida
Where can I access the impeller/ motor shaft of the macerator

My macerator won't turn on. Valves on grey and black tanks open fine. I changed the fuse. I understand that I can use a screw driver to help "un-stick" the impeller, but where would I find the impeller? I have a 2014 Airstream Interstate.
Old 04-24-2017, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by marivie728 View Post
My macerator won't turn on. Valves on grey and black tanks open fine. I changed the fuse. I understand that I can use a screw driver to help "un-stick" the impeller, but where would I find the impeller? I have a 2014 Airstream Interstate.
A stuck impeller will usually blow the fuse if you have the switch on very long, so I don't think you have a stuck impeller if the fuse is good. Mine had sat on the dealer's lot for a while and the impeller was stuck. It blew the fuse quite quickly when I first hit the switch. Fortunately, I was in my driveway and it was not a big problem.

The slot for the impeller is on the center of the end of the macerator toward the tail end of the coach. Look for something that looks like an electric motor. The instructions say there is a cover, but mine did not have a cover and it did not appear that there was even a place for a cover. I just turned it a couple of turns with a big flat screwdriver and it has run fine since. The instructions say turn it clockwise, but the techs told me that it doesn't matter and you can turn it either way.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
On my 2013 the macerator is just forward of the hose reel. The end of the shaft is covered by a rubber cap. Remove the cap and you'll see the end of the shaft, with a groove cut in it. Put a screwdriver in the groove and turn. Make sure the pump is off when you turn it. (Though even if it is on, the fuse probably blew when the shaft didn't turn.)
Old 04-25-2017, 09:52 PM   #10

Wesley Chapel , Florida
Located macerator/pump 2014 Interstate

Thank you so much. Found the macerator pump just forward the hose reel, underneath the coach and a couple inches from the edge of the coach. I removed the rubber plug which covered the groove. And yes, the fuse was blown so I replaced that. Pump now works.