Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2015, 03:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
, California
Lug Nut Covers

The stainless steel lug nut covers for all 2007 to present Airstream Interstates are a Phoenix Industries part number SP39. You can find them on the web,

:: Phoenix USA :: Viewing WHEEL PART # results for "Sp39"

they are OEM and the web says unavailable but to call them at (913) 526-6128.

Called and they have thousands in stock and will sell direct to those of us in need of small quantity replacements. Just ordered a replacement set, they cost $2.16 each and shipping depending on quantity and where you are is $5-10. I have about 50K flawless miles on our 2010 Interstate and after many rotations we finally were down 8 due to mechanics being harsh on them and usage. We researched replacing the lugs but in the end you can just replace the caps and if you use a drop of blue loc-tite on any that are a bit loose it will hold to the next change and come off without dramas. My recommendation is not to replace the lug nuts whether you like the covers or not (I don't) since they are very specific flat nuts and very high torque.

Hope this helps.
Rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I always pull my caps off before I take it in any time the wheels will be removed.

I put one layer of masking tape on two of the flats on the lug nut on any that aren't firmly attached. Personally I think the manufacturer's punch that puts the dimples in three sides was worn out and that's why some are looser than others. Just a theory based on Occam's Razor.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Just curious, what us the diameter of the lug nuts? Maybe I can retrofit that to my Avion. Stainless would be an improvement over rust. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:21 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
, California
Lug nut size, cover fit

The lug nuts are 19mm flat bottom (for sure), (M14x1.5 I believe). The covers should work on any 19mm lug nut where the total exposed length (surface of rim to top of threaded stud) is less than 1 3/8". While not my favorite accessory I've seen no manufacturing defect issues, just a close fit press-on cover. The ones on the big rigs work the same way and most of them are plastic and lower quality than these. Most truckers carry a few spares.

Of note, the covers are approximately 21mm exterior diameter leading to the occasional wrench being put to the cover deforming it. Removing them yourself beforehand works as does telling the mechanic they're covers, and asking to please remove them first. In 50K miles I've decided to replace 6, although only two were ever lost (with no tape, glue or loc-tite). The others are now spares.

Decided to post this since they're hard to find little guys with lots of forum DIY solutions to retaining them. These are high quality OEM parts and you only need to put them on and forget them and for 2 bucks replace any that have suffered the wrench. I'd be careful not to secure them too much or nobody but you will try to take them off.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
My trailer is 100's of miles away, so can't check. How easy is it to remove the covers before you remove the lug nut? And if it's easy, why wouldn't that be standard operating procedure?
SCOTTinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Great info - thanks! They are available from other more costly sources.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Thanks for the info. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:22 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain View Post
While not my favorite accessory I've seen no manufacturing defect issues, just a close fit press-on cover.
If there wasn't any defect, then some wouldn't fit loose and others tite.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
, California
Lug Nut Cover Pliers

Just to be clear, none of the lug nut covers fit loosely when new. When new they fit great, in fact they fit so well they look like solid lug nuts and fool the mechanics into putting an air hammer on them. These ones pop off and get deformed by said air tool. Even this deformation didn't destroy any of them, just bent some of them enough to fit loosely. While frustrating this is hardly a defect and fortunately Airstream used a stainless steel part so unlike other class B's we get no rust and a durable good looking cover. We rotate all six tires (replaced the continentals with Michelins long ago) so the lug nuts all come off every 5000 miles and the tires wear like iron this way.

To avoid any future confusion we ordered this tool to keep in the jack compartment and give it to the mechanics to remove the covers: Wheel Masters 8211 Universal Lug Nut Cover Plier. Available for $10 in local shops or about $16 at amazon. I'd recommend one of these when you first get the coach and likely you'll never have to buy a replacement cover in the first place. You can use pliers or a screwdriver but this pretty much makes it easy and obvious so it gets used even though it is intended for 33mm big rig lug covers.

This tool stopped damage but I was having trouble finding the two covers that actually needed replacement so wanted to share the info. What I don't feel comfortable doing is bashing a high quality product that works as designed and looks a whole lot better than raw lugs while retaining the high torque capability of the lug nuts.

If anyone knows of a source for press-on plastics (like the big rigs use in 33mm) for a 19mm lug that would be useful since they come in an array of styles from reflectors to chariot points.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I would not be surprised if Amazon did not have them. Also any big rig truck stop.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Every other of the six flats contains a dimple that (is suppose to) cause the lug cover to fit tight against the lug nut. I figured that every R&R would cause them to fit less tight. So I have a small wooden stick that goes inside the lug cover, with a small hold drilled into the wood. I then use a flat punch to deepen the dimple (into the hole in the wood). I think I can feel them fit more snug after the re-dimpling than they fit before said re-dimpling. A bit of a pain (24 covers x three dimples per lug cover = a very tedious process) - but I'm retired...
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
See Post #2 for a simpler solution. Never had one come off after I instituted it.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:17 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
, California
Lug nut covers

See Post 1, they cost $2.16 each in OEM Stainless Steel (exact replacement) and if you read a couple more posts down there's a nifty removal tool. Easy fix, use tool, keep a couple spares, done.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:12 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Fayetteville , Arkansas
Why not replace the lug nuts with stainless lugs?

FishByFly
because I catch fish on a fly...

2017 25' FB Flying Cloud Queen
2010 F250 Lariat
Past: 2005 30' Safari Bunkhouse
Past: 1986 28' Excella Twin

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

2017 25' Safari FBQ - “Fly Fish Inn
2023 F150 XLT
FishByFly is offline   Reply With Quote