Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
LPG Detector turns off with Multiplex Battery Disconnect switch

Searched B-forums and did not find anyone reporting this. I just noticed today that when I turned on the Multiplex Battery Disconnect switch, the LPG Detector turned on & led stayed red for a few minutes. Then it turned green. So, tested it a few times of on/off cycle and can confirm LPG Detector is tied in with the Multiplex Battery Disconnect on/off.

Manual for 2018 says it is supposed to be powered direct to batteries. It is supposed to be on all the time. Also states this is done so the small heater on the sensor can burn impurities in the air during normal use and does not accumulate on sensor if sensor is disconnected from power. Supposedly, if turned off for a long time, the impurities build up on sensor and when power is restored, the alarm could activate and could take hours to burn off the impurities. I know that just by sitting in off overnight, it took a few minutes for led to turn green. Though the audible alarm did not activate.

My questions are:

1. Would this be new to 2018? I am thinking not a good idea.
2. I would assume this is still a safety issue, even if batteries are disconnected. I guess one could argue that when 12v is disconnected, the electric gas shut-off solenoid closes automatically and LPG is disconnected to all appliances anyway, hence no need to have LPG detector on & draining power? Seems silly to me but who knows what went into this thinking if it was truly re-designed this way on 2018s.

All thoughts welcome.
Anyways, calling dealer today.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:17 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Searched B-forums and did not find anyone reporting this. I just noticed today that when I turned on the Multiplex Battery Disconnect switch, the LPG Detector turned on & led stayed red for a few minutes. Then it turned green. So, tested it a few times of on/off cycle and can confirm LPG Detector is tied in with the Multiplex Battery Disconnect on/off.
This is how my '17 works. Even though I don't have the multiplex wiring, when I turn my battery disconnect off, the LP detector turns off. When I turn it on, the LED in the detector turns red and blinks for a bit, and after a minute or so it will turn a steady green.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
This is how my '17 works. Even though I don't have the multiplex wiring, when I turn my battery disconnect off, the LP detector turns off. When I turn it on, the LED in the detector turns red and blinks for a bit, and after a minute or so it will turn a steady green.
Whew! Thanks, FlyFishinRVr. It's a relief to know it works this way even on prior year. I thought maybe they messed it up. But they ought to update their Users Manual, so newbies like me don't freak out that it wasn't wired correctly.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:19 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
When I re-designed my electrical system to run on Lithium, I did the same thing. The battery controller will shut off power when the cells are too low. Letting current keep drawing will seriously damage the batteries. And it will die anyway after the last bit of charge is off.

I keep mine plugged in all the time though so the shut off is an exception, not the rule.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Whew! Thanks, FlyFishinRVr. It's a relief to know it works this way even on prior year. I thought maybe they messed it up. But they ought to update their Users Manual, so newbies like me don't freak out that it wasn't wired correctly.
Yeah, they need a serious rewrite of their manuals. They've had the same (wrong) information in them for years.....
Old 03-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
I just got off the phone with Service Manager. He had not run into this question, but looked up all his tech info. He said based on his available tech info, it SHOULD be wired before the Battery Disconnect switch, as originally designed. And so, if as originally designed, it is not wired right. BUT he said from a practical standpoint, it makes more sense this way so there is no drain on batteries. He does not see a problem running (or I guess not running the LPG Detector) this way. Just knowing the caveat that it may require few minutes to burn off impurities from sensor if its been sitting a very long time. It was up to me to have it re-wired or not. I dont want to have it re-wired the old way. I actually like it this way.

PS, Seems like Airstream re-designed it without telling their field people and customers.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
PS, Seems like Airstream re-designed it without telling their field people and customers.
Or the people who write their manuals.....
Old 03-16-2018, 07:06 PM   #8
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Or the people who write their manuals.....
They did re-write 1 page, the front of the manual now says 2018
Old 03-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
LPG Detector turns off with Multiplex Battery Disconnect switch

Having worked around the 12v power circuitry, I found its real easy to connect stuff to the wrong side of the disconnect relay. We won’t talk about the solar panels that did nothing but turn the darn red light on and not charge the batteries....for about a year...(Sigh).
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Other posts have harped on the continuous drain on the battery while unit is in storage, so if it is working when powered up then I would be happy with it! Your Van likely gets started enough to keep the batteries up. The draw is minimal but can be a problem in along storage.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
so if it is working when powered up then I would be happy with it! Your Van likely gets started enough to keep the batteries up.
JCW
Yep, works well once it powers up & its heater goes thru the impurities "burn" cycle. I am happy with it wired this way especially after hearing from FlyFishinRVr that his 2017 is wired same way. It does make more sense, no need to have LPG detector on when batteries are disconnected & gas shut-off solenoid is closed & LPG is disconnected to all appliances anyway. Van will get used at least every 2 weeks, so batteries will remain optimal.