Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2014, 06:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Love our Interstate

No response ness army, just a quick report. Took our 2014.5 interstate on its first mid-range trip. Observations: frequently found I was rolling at 75 on I-5 through the southern Oregon mountains. The AI rode like a dream. No shimmy or shake. No cross-wind problems. Paddle-shifter into fourth or third gear just before starting up hill let me maintain speed at or above the speed limit.

All appliances worked as the should as did the DVD player. Tanks drained perfectly with no leaks or fuss. Loved it.

Protagonist suggestion for an exterior privacy cover was perfect.

We were warned we would have trouble finding a parking space in Ashland downtown. Narrow width (about the same as a large pickup) actually made the hunt for a space fairly easy. Only one trip around the block. We even parked in a public lot for a buck just two blocks from our destination. Glad we chose the shorter AI which only stuck out of the parking space a tad and didn't block anyone's access to the lot or spaces. The extended version would have been a different story.

In Eugene we were able to find a parking space (free in a bank lot) even though there was a major basketball game and a major play going on with all of the regular lots sporting "full" signs.

Fuel economy was 18.2 mpg for the entire trip including one section over 21.

Used the kitchen and the bathroom while on the highway (long straight stretches). All by itself was justification for trading in our QuikSilver 16-footer.

After day two, my wife and I had the Small Space synchronized swimming thing down pat.

Did buy a hitch rack for added space for carrying stuff for longer trips, but for this one it wasn't necessary.

All in all, the

AI was great. I'd recommend it to anyone traveling with two or three people.

Looking forward to the trip to Arizona in February.

Sorry to ramble, but there are some postings that might give the impression to newbies or wannabes that the AI is a less satisfactory rv. For us, itS the perfect fit.

Travel safe y'all.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

​2020 Atlas​
Treasure Island , Florida
Love mine as well. Keep the reports coming.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:08 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't love my Interstate enough to propose marriage to it, but I'm all for shacking up with it! Just as well, I suppose, because I can't claim it as a dependent anyway even though I pay for 100% of its upkeep. (Stupid IRS!)

My recent trip to the WBCCI Region 6 rally was the first time ever that I got over 20mpg on both legs of the trip! If it hadn't been for getting stuck in rush hour traffic east of Mobile on the trip to the rally, I would have made over 21mpg for that leg of the trip, but a traffic jam where I moved two miles in half an hour cut almost a mile per gallon off my average according to the dashboard display. Due credit given to the RennTech ECU tune I had done last year, AND to keeping my speed down to a leisurely 60mph for the whole trip.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I don't love my Interstate to that degree either, particularly as she groans and makes noises at times like a geriatric, but she does get many compliments from onlookers and other RVers!
On the mileage front, she's showing an average of 19.0 mpg since the last reset (3000+ miles). And on our last trip, which included the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta, and then north to Denver and back via several scenic routes over the Rockies, at one stage she was showing an amazing 43 mpg - but that was on a very long down-the-mountain run!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
What's not to love?

Everything needed to sustain life in comfort, in a rig the size of a delivery van.

154,000+ miles, and buying it was one of the best decisions we ever made.

Now, if I can figure out how to get to Nevada without going thru mountains. The last state in the lower 48, but the mountains driver is gone.......

Maggie
Old 10-26-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
My AI is my First RV so nothing to compare it to; but friends have Class A & Class C vans & while I love their Class-A when in the California Desert for a week; I love my AI for the same reasons as most here.

1) wife can drive it; just a big mini van.

2) fuel to get the two of us from Illinois to California on par with round trip air fare (& our 7 year old Labrador rides for FREE!)

3) can parallel park it in Chicago downtown!

4) like all RVs (I'm guessing) it challenges my MacGyver skills to work out all the kinks and come up with different ways to store things, and be comfortable.

Getting ready for November trip from IL to Vegas to Long Beach & Back (2 weeks); then hoping for 30 day trip to Florida in February (no reason not to stay in the cold weather now that I have a mobile Apartment in the driveway).
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 10:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You need to come to the Moraine View rally second weekend in June, Mike.

Moraine View State Park, near Leroy.

We're always the only Interstate there.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2014, 10:31 AM   #8
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
You need to come to the Moraine View rally second weekend in June, Mike.

Moraine View State Park, near Leroy.

We're always the only Interstate there.

Maggie
I had it on my calendar this year; being in the motorcycle business June was really hard to get away. On a non-related note I may be up in your area a bit more. . . my family just bought Sportland Motorsports in Bloomington (giving us shops in Decatur, Bloomington & Peoria now).

Just as I was getting ready to settle down and take weekends off; my brother goes and adds two new stores. ugggh.

But that is why I got the van - so my wife & pup can travel with me while I work.
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote