Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-01-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Loss of House Power Mystery

OK, here is one for the trouble shooting crowd. I'm stumped.

Scenario:

All is well into a 2000 mile journey. Pull into a rest area to have a casual lunch. Go to start the Generator and loose all house power. Turn main off and on and nothing. Manually operate the manual disconnect on and off and then the house main. Power restores, but house showing 12.4 volts. NOTE: had 30 Amp shore the night before. Try generator again and it starts, but voltage pulled down low enough the Kenwood reboots. Have lunch, drive home and started genset twice and had no issues.

Suspected house batteries (going on 4 years old). Turned off Solar Charge. Charged with shore power overnight and then let house sit with main off and no shore power for 4 hours. Batteries held steady. Disconnected the 4 batteries and measured OCV. All over 12.9V. Checked battery fuses (I have three) and all pass continuity test. Checked torque of all connections including Genset. Reconnected and started Genset. No issues. Started van and BIM operated (or at least I noted 13.1 Volts on the House) All good.

I'm at a loss. The only thing different than normal is we drop through a torrential storm the evening before.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:31 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I am NOT an auto-electrician. I didn't even stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so take my thoughts with that in mind. I always start trouble-shooting the low hanging fruit. If I pick it and the problem is resolved, then all's good.

I've had something similar occur after a torrential rain with significant humidity for some period of time and cleaning the battery terminals and posts seemed to have solved the intermittent issues I was experiencing that were similar to what you've described.

I have no logical reason that worked other than perhaps the battery terminals were just corroded enough that the extra moisture involved sent them over the edge, resistance-wise, and they were fine after they dried out. I really don't know enough to postulate any further. But cleaning the terminals and battery posts took care of my issues.

If that works for you, then I'm a genius and you can congratulate me. If, OTOH, you clean the posts and terminals and it makes no difference, then just pretend I never posted.
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Is it possible that T1N and NCV3 Interstates have similar designs with respect to electrical hardware, one problematic circuit breaker in particular?

Because back when we had our OEM electrical system, intermittent house power loss was one of our signature problems.

Pick up my husband's "lithium battery adventures" thread here at post #384, and evaluate whether there could be any similarities to your situation. That's where he describes that particular problem.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 09:23 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Thank you 85H325 and InterBlog. I never thought to consider the CB between the House Batteries, BIM and House Disconnect, but that could explain the symptom. Will have to check that. It is a minor pain to get to so I may wait to see if it happens again.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote