2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
The definitive answer: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Drive like you have no brakes. Anticipate stops, Coast, Leave a safe distance ahead of you. Use your Engine/Downshift.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Lafayette , Louisiana
I tow a Kia Soul 6 speed manual transmission. Fun little car. No transmission problems like automatic trans cars. Very good choice in my opinion.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:05 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
I have a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid and would like to be able to tow it behind my 2015 Interstate Ext. What all would I need in order to outfit for towing?
Old 01-09-2016, 11:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
I have a 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid and would like to be able to tow it behind my 2015 Interstate Ext. What all would I need in order to outfit for towing?

Check your owners manual, but I'm fairly certain the Escape Hybrid will require a trailer or towing dolly.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:58 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
The 2010 can be towed, wheels on the ground. I just not sure what I need to buy besides tow bar. I think some type of brake assist and probably a electrical harness from Ford.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #21
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
The 2010 can be towed, wheels on the ground. I just not sure what I need to buy besides tow bar. I think some type of brake assist and probably a electrical harness from Ford.
You will need towbar baseplates permanently mounted on the car, which requires temporary removal of the bumper and front end panel. Blue Ox is a popular brand, as is Roadmaster— primarily because their baseplates are custom-fitted and require the fewest modifications to the vehicle.

You will need a towbar to match the baseplates. You can mix brands with the right adapters, but it's just as easy— and no more expensive— to use the same brand for baseplates and towbar to avoid the need for adapters. So choose the baseplates first, then choose the towbar.

You will need supplementary lighting (tail/turn/stop). Which doesn't require a wiring harness from Ford because they don't make one for this application, but does require a wiring harness custom-made to go from a newly-installed connector on the front end of the toad to the lights at the rear.

You will need supplemental brakes. Legally you only need the brakes if the toad's GVWR is higher than the gross trailer weight that requires brakes in your domicile state (3000# in many states, 1500# in some states). However, even for a lightweight toad, expecting your Interstate's brakes to stop both vehicles without assistance from the toad brakes is asking for trouble. Side note, if you only have one toad and you're going to have it for a long time, consider permanently-installed supplemental brakes with a control box that mounts under the driver's seat. If you have multiple toads and/or you plan to trade in your toad in just a couple of years, portable supplemental brakes may be better because they can be transferred between vehicles and you only need to buy one, but then you have the hassle of installing the control box in the driver's footwell every time you tow and removing it every time you drive.

You may or may not need a brake controller installed in the Interstate. Depends on the brand and type of toad brakes you install. My Roadmaster Invisibrake activates when the van's brake lights come on, and no separate brake controller is required.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 01:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Here's a consideration that I just learned yesterday from a friend. If you plan to get the Good Sam Roadside Assist (which is a good deal as it covers all vehicles in your household including motorcycles) your towd will be covered as long as it's towed with all 4 wheels on the ground. If you use a dolly you lose the towd coverage. Don't know why it's this way but that's what they explained to my friend.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:18 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks Protagonist appreciate the great info. Even though the owners manual states my Escape can be towed, after doing some research on the web it appears that there may be a problem with the transmission if vehicle is towed. I am going to follow up with Ford to see if that problem still exists.
Old 01-09-2016, 05:20 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
C21bill do you know if the Good Sam Roadside Assist will send a flatbed to pick up the Airstream if it is ever needed to be towed? I have considered their coverage but right now have State Farm.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Quote:
C21bill do you know if the Good Sam Roadside Assist will send a flatbed to pick up the Airstream if it is ever needed to be towed? I have considered their coverage but right now have State Farm.

You would have to contact them to find out. The only time I had to use the service I was on my Harley Triglide which necessitated a flatbed. Service was outstanding and they took me back to the dealer where I purchased the trike which was 45 miles farther than the closest bike shop which was not a Harley Shop.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I have both AAA with RV service and Good Sam roadside assistance. AAA is good for quickly showing up for tire or battery problems, but Good Sam service utilizes truck service companies whose drivers also seem to have mechanical abilities far surpassing those of the AAA.
AAA has mileage limitations for free towing and limitations on number of uses.
Peace of mind can cost a little more but I do have choices and is worth the price.