Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-29-2014, 05:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Since "blow-out" refers to a tire explosively decompressing, you may want to call concrete potholes by their engineering term: "spalls." Spalls can cause blow-outs in under-inflated tires.

Spalling is when internal or external pressure causes concrete to fracture in such a way that chunks come loose.
You are correct, but here is one limitation with that: TxDOT Houston District and our local news media have begun to adopt "blow-out" to the point where the term has become entrenched in local vernacular. Spalls can propagate VERY rapidly (minutes to hours) such that, in certain circumstances, they literally become crash hazards before road crews can get there to deal with them. If TxDOT tweets or marquees "blow-out", everybody gets it. If they were to say "spall", some folks might think it was fixin' to rain intensely.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:52 AM   #22
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Nice! I don't have the aisle measurement for your younger AI model but it looks like it might be a tad bit wider than our 20 inches. Every inch counts.
Same width, between the microwave and the widest point of the bathroom. It's just so close to the plane of the image that it's hard to tell.
Quote:
Our dog is very attached to her crate, which is 24 x 36 inches (she's a Saluki mix and despite her long body, she's only 45 pounds, so a medium crate works well). That additional 4 inches makes a huge difference in her perception.
One fellow here on the Forums— whose name escapes me at the moment— removed the second-row passenger seat behind the driver to make room for a dog's travel carrier. That might be viable for you, too. The travel carrier needn't be any wider than the seat it replaces. Plus with the carrier directly in line with the side door, loading and unloading the dog becomes a lot easier.

Traveling with the dog in a carrier is safer for the dog in the event of a panic stop, and the carrier being right behind the driver's seat allows for companionable proximity to keep the dog calmer.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:16 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Lily has spent many thousands of miles, over 4+ years, in our Interstate and I can tell you for certain that dog nails do not harm the ultraleather. I trim hers myself, too, so they are not super-short.

I suspect your dog will adapt to the Interstate, motivated by a driving need to be with you. I doubt she is actually claustrophobic, is simply reacting to the change or maybe thinks she has a choice to ride in it or not.

Leaving one bench down is a good idea, or just encourage her to jump on the other bench and turn around or stretch out. Show her what to do.

Lily prefers to ride up front, either in the passenger seat or on a soft area we made for her between the two. She will walk to the back to stretch her legs, but always returns within a minute or two. Yours may also prefer the passenger seat.

Good luck!

Maggie
Good to hear the confirmation from yet another source about the ultraleather. I can cover our seats but it is additional complexity that I would prefer to avoid if it's not necessary.

Our dog also prefers to ride up front between the seats at least some of the time. As soon as I get my photos complete, I will be publishing a blog post on how to DIY a custom-sized dog bed that will fit both this area and the area under the table for those of us who have longitudinal couches. The front area is a little narrower and irregular by virtue of the parking brake which abuts the area, but with a little squishing, one bed will fit both spaces.

I took on that project immediately because our dog is crate-oriented and bed-oriented. She may ultimately choose one of the seats or couches during travel, but she will register a custom floor bed as "I belong here". This summer during our minivan travels we stopped in Manhattan for three days and it seemed a little ridiculous to ask the Park Avenue bellhop to port her crate from the car up to the 23rd floor of the hotel (Leona Helmsley's old place because - surprise - Leona may have passed away but they still accept dogs, for a price, of course), but our dog was absolutely overjoyed. Not just some random nylon portable crate but HER crate, the same one she uses at home, in Manhattan - she could not have been happier. We took a video of her coming unhinged with excitement as we unpacked it.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, they certainly become attached to their "things".....security blankies for dogs, I think.

The area between the seats is irregular, which can be a bit of a dilemma for something firm and structured.

We solved two problems by folding the thick, cushiony, mattress pad into an oversized pillow cover, and laying it there with a rug over the top.

She loves it, and can be scratched and/or lay her head on my knee while I drive....in comfort.

Maggie
Old 10-30-2014, 06:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
...One fellow here on the Forums— whose name escapes me at the moment— removed the second-row passenger seat behind the driver to make room for a dog's travel carrier. That might be viable for you, too. ....
I think I saw that post when I was doing global Interstate / dog-related searches - he did a beautiful custom job of stacking crates for his two German shepherds. Is that the post?

Not an option in our case because we are blessed by NOT having the second-row of seats. The 2007 AI mid-bath has only the driver and passenger seats and then the sofa in the rear. The lav is literally three inches behind the driver's seat. We did not like the off-the-shelf configs of the newer AIs - too much camping potential sacrificed for unnecessary seats, resulting in less storage and no counter space at all (someone did a very nice post a few days ago about adding slide-out space - we don't have to worry about that kind of thing).
Old 10-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
LOL - 7 year old Lab...

Another 'dog' note is that the automatic step concerns him; he isn't sure if it will be there or not as sometimes the van is running when we open the door (stopped of course) and there is no step; and sometimes it is not running so there is a step. I think once or twice I started the van while the step was out & door open, but he & the wife were not completely loaded - so as he was trying to get in van - the step retracted.

(another got to fix that: make van step retract when door closed, and extend when door open - even if engine running). ...

Just in case this thread gets read by someone who has not yet configured their Interstate, I HIGHLY recommend running boards if they are still available as an option.

I have the original window sticker for our 2007 which we bought as a used vehicle, and they were a pricey option back then - three thousand bucks, or about the same as the generator (!). I don't know what they would cost these days.

My husband thinks that they look a bit tacky, and I probably agree, but the convenience factor overrides appearance. They just make life soooo much easier for kids, dogs, and small women. Love 'em.
Old 10-30-2014, 06:56 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Just in case this thread gets read by someone who has not yet configured their Interstate, I HIGHLY recommend running boards if they are still available as an option.

I have the original window sticker for our 2007 which we bought as a used vehicle, and they were a pricey option back then - three thousand bucks, or about the same as the generator (!). I don't know what they would cost these days.
Running boards are not an option on the Sprinter 3500-chassis Airstreams. In place of running boards we have "effects molding" that extends the lower edges of the sides far enough so that all of the dangly bits underneath (tanks, generator, hose reel, macerator pump, etc.) can't be seen. The effects molding also provides a place for the retractable step by the side door, and the steps by the driver and front passenger doors— and those front steps were absolutely wretched ankle-breakers that were way too narrow on models before 2014.
Old 12-02-2014, 07:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
This one falls squarely into the "never would have predicted that" category... Did they get more accustomed to the long, narrow configuration over time?

Thanks
Alison and Lawrence
League City TX
THE INTERSTATE BLOG
Leaving this update here in case any dog owners search this thread in the future -

Chapter 2 in the "never would have predicted" category is the fact that our dog is now an Interstate enthusiast. First we couldn't get her into it, and now we can't get her back out of it.

See the body language in the attached pic. My ears are raised - I am listening to you - but my stance is defiantly firm and my eyes are narrowed, letting you know that, no, as a matter of fact, I am not coming out without a fight. I am prepared to sit here for as long as it takes you to come to your senses and join me inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-DSC_0933-001.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	227904  
Old 12-02-2014, 07:49 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, they do love to go.

Lots of new places to sniff and do their business, it is all about the dog's needs.

Maggie
Old 12-04-2014, 12:26 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
My bigger pup, Teddy, simply loves to travel. If he gets out to the garage where we keep our TV he runs around looking up at the door handles trying to get someone to open the door so he can go for a ride---anywhere!

Once aboard, he settles on the dog hammock in back and sleeps until we get off the highway, then goes to full alert watching out the window as we drive slower.

He loves the AS almost as much. I think it's mainly a "be with my people" thing in his mind. The other dogs in our pack are willing to travel but not as wildly enthusiastic about gettin aboard.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Traveling with Long Dogs, Big Dogs, Small Dogs, Lots of Dogs...

I've been traveling with some very big dogs for the past year, notably living out of my Interstate EXT for the past two months. My solution was to pull out the second row of seats and install crates that are very large and maximize the space for large dogs. I posted a thread on the process and would be happy to help if you would like more detailed information. Hope this helps. I make the crates (shameless plug for K9CarCrate.com) I have attached a picture. Steve
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 12:11 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Vienna , Virginia
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1418713880.713814.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	732.4 KB
ID:	228739

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
I've been traveling with some very big dogs for the past year, notably living out of my Interstate EXT for the past two months. My solution was to pull out the second row of seats and install crates that are very large and maximize the space for large dogs. I posted a thread on the process and would be happy to help if you would like more detailed information. Hope this helps. I make the crates (shameless plug for K9CarCrate.com) I have attached a picture. Steve
I saw those, and anyone who has a crate issue ought to take a look at them, because they look wonderful. Wouldn't help us, however, as our model of Interstate does not have a second row of seats.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eastside , Washington
I can't help you, we have the opposite experience. Our dog hates the car and hated the pickup we used to pull the Bambi. One great outcome of trading it all for the Interstate is that he's perfectly happy to go in the Airstream. So glad!
quilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Probably enjoys the extra room to roam.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote