Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2014, 04:53 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Location of Control Unit for Fiamma Awning for 2014 Ext?

I've been a little discouraged by how sensitive my automatic awning is. Sometimes just closing the sliding door will cause the seismic sensor to close the awning. The Owners Manual for the awning shows that there's an sensitivity adjustment on the control unit which is likely located made the van.

Before I tear into things, does anyone know where the control unit is located? It is not under the passenger seat behind the switch.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #2

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
The trigger mechanism on my 2013 AI is located at the extreme rear outer edge of the awning cuff and appears to be a relative simple mercury switch. There is also a spring loaded toggle at that location that is intended to stop the retraction when the awning has fully retracted. A clothes pin or clamp can lock that toggle closed which will stop the retraction. However, should a too stiff breeze come by while that is deactivated a replacement awning will run around $3,000 not to mention getting the wreckage of the pretzeled awning untangled from the AI and the sliding door opened.

If that sounds like a hard earned lesson — you got it right in one.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #3
BikerBill

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
But to answer one of your questions, yes the master control system for the awning is under the passenger seat. Just lift the clap on the outside of the seat and there is a cover there that can be carefully opened and all the "stuff" is inside there on ours.
Bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbill View Post
But to answer one of your questions, yes the master control system for the awning is under the passenger seat. Just lift the clap on the outside of the seat and there is a cover there that can be carefully opened and all the "stuff" is inside there on ours.

Bikerbill,
That is where I began to look. On mine, the wires for the switch run under the seat platform towards the driver side. No control unit in sight.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
The trigger mechanism on my 2013 AI is located at the extreme rear outer edge of the awning cuff and appears to be a relative simple mercury switch. There is also a spring loaded toggle at that location that is intended to stop the retraction when the awning has fully retracted. A clothes pin or clamp can lock that toggle closed which will stop the retraction. However, should a too stiff breeze come by while that is deactivated a replacement awning will run around $3,000 not to mention getting the wreckage of the pretzeled awning untangled from the AI and the sliding door opened.

If that sounds like a hard earned lesson — you got it right in one.

I know about the trigger mechanism. My question has to do with adjusting the sensitivity. I read in the owners manual that there is a control unit that has settings from 1 to 10 for sensitivity. I don't want to shut the auto retract off, just fine tune it a little.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #6
BikerBill

I never did open my cover under the passenger seat. But someone once said that the control was in the center overhead up where one might place sunglasses if the cover were not there. I never took the time to pull mine open up there between the sun visors. I was told to use a small screwdriver and carefully pull a little at a time and that cover will pop off.

Otherwise, call AI factory and speak with them. I have and they were very helpful in the past.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Call Jim Parrett at 937-596-6111 X7409 or Randy McNeely at 937-596-7931. I've found them both to be helpful in the past also.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Location of Control Unit for Fiamma Awning for 2014 Ext?

I did find the control unit. It was behind the panel with the the generator switch, battery monitor, solar monitor and tank monitors. It has an adjustment from one to ten and the factory default is 5. I'm going to adjust mine to 7 to see if that reduces the sensitivity enough that it isn't closing at the slightest movement. Will report on results.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #9
BikerBill

So much for uniformity in installation of things behind the "scenes."
Old 08-16-2014, 07:22 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
We just returned from a three day cycling/tubing trip and wanted to report on the results of my adjustment to the awning sensitivity. As I noted above, I had changed the setting from 5 to 7 which reduced the sensitivity of the seismic sensor that is designed to auto retract the awning in the event of wind conditions that may damage the awning.

I am satisfied with the results! The awning never retracted from motion caused by closing the sliding door as it had previously. Although, it did retract with a decent wind gust as it should have. Problem solved. Now, I can find something else to tinker with!

Old 08-16-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Good to know. Thanks for figuring this out and posting an update.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote