Old 06-24-2018, 05:23 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I will pay Arizonaís sales tax, then another couple of percent when I get home...because Illinois is higher, of course...itís Illinois.

These are the most expensive tires I have ever bought, but I told them I wanted good tires, so thatís what they got me...and Iím not going to complain because they took the Interstate over, got the tires and everything balanced, and it will be ready when I get there.

Maggie

Old 06-25-2018, 06:37 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
I will pay Arizonaís sales tax, then another couple of percent when I get home...because Illinois is higher, of course...itís Illinois.

These are the most expensive tires I have ever bought, but I told them I wanted good tires, so thatís what they got me...and Iím not going to complain because they took the Interstate over, got the tires and everything balanced, and it will be ready when I get there.

Maggie
Everyone loves a bargain, but I agree with you... obsessing over every purchase (especially when one is obviously able to afford some modest luxuries) doesn't make me happy. And how long would you have to wait to find another Interstate in great condition and the right vintage and color? And in a state with low sales tax? And it is a one time thing.

It is HARD work trying to squeeze a nickel until the buffalo poops in your hand. Been that poor, did that for a long time, now I can afford parmigana originata instead of generic domestic, and I have it and enjoy it.
... if they don't put a tarrif on it.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:49 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
We bought ours in Ca but took delivery in NV. Most states have reciprocal recognition of taxes - but CA didn't. With reciprocal recognition you either pay taxes in the state bought or the state registered - but not both. Ca wanted 8% (if I recall correctly) but IA only 5%. So we took official delivery in NV - where they had reciprocal recognition. We got the plates in IA and took them with us when we flew out to take delivery. We went to the dealer in Los Angeles for (brief) training then rode with a driver to just across the border in NV and got it notarized as taking delivery there. You might do the same thing with yours - if it isn't too late. Cost us a bit for the transport delivery but saved us a lot more in taxes.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
. . .
. . . It is HARD work trying to squeeze a nickel until the buffalo . . .
. . .

That's a new one to these eyes . . .

OTRA15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:02 PM   #89
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post

Tickets from Chicago are surprisingly inexpensive..

Maggie
hmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that it's a bazillion degrees out here right now?

I think you are better off with the 2007, the 2006 was the first year of the second generation Sprinter and the first year of the 6 cyl engine and some say not to buy the first year of a generation, although I know you had an 06 apparently with no major issues.

Make sure the AC units are working good but I wouldn't expect to be able to cool down the cabin with the roof air if it's been sitting in the Phoenix sun all day!
Old 07-03-2018, 07:59 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Tucson , AZ
And I just saw more recent posts on your other thread.....congrats on the purchase
Old 07-03-2018, 10:18 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Funny. My 2007 is based on a 2006 Sprinter and has a 5 cylinder engine. 2006 was voted most reliable year over at sprinter-source forum.
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:33 PM   #92
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
Yes, I think fairly consistently the AI is built on the previous year Van.
My 2006 AI is converted from a 2005 Freightliner van.

I think MB changed to the newer style in 2007, so a 2008 AI may be built on that? Not sure, sometimes there is more delay with a new platform to work form (?)

Hopefully it will be in the shade awhile before you drive it off!

Mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #93
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
One odd ball is my 2014 1/2 AI. It is built on a 2014 Sprinter rather than a 2013. Apparently, Airstream must have run out of 2013 Sprinters early and had to use 2014s.

The 2014 Sprinter had some changes, so Airstream basically built a 2015 inside the 2014 chassis. They could not call it a 2015 yet, so it is registered as a 2014. If you look in the 2014 parts catalog, a lot of part numbers change after a certain date.

The main difference between my 2014.5 and a 2015 is the electrics are under the couch instead of under the DS jump seat. A mixed blessing.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:17 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSNO60 View Post
hmmm I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that it's a bazillion degrees out here right now?

I think you are better off with the 2007, the 2006 was the first year of the second generation Sprinter and the first year of the 6 cyl engine and some say not to buy the first year of a generation, although I know you had an 06 apparently with no major issues.

Make sure the AC units are working good but I wouldn't expect to be able to cool down the cabin with the roof air if it's been sitting in the Phoenix sun all day!
Yes, and thank you...I do think current temps in Phoenix have something to do with it.

As I recall...the 05 Sprinter Chassis for our 06 Interstate had an MB Diesel engine that got better mileage than the 06 Chassis I am getting into, so I anticipate slightly reduced mpg in this one.

Still, it is an older, all manual model, more a luxury camper van than the all-electronic, whiz-bang, tricked up newer models which I just couldn’t easily adapt to.

There’s a new antennae on this one, but otherwise I think systems are pretty much the same, so I am anticipating a smooth transition to the 07...and will have an opportunity to check out the AC in Phoenix heat, as I will spend Thursday night in their lot.

Best to know how to work everything, and get any questions answered, before I leave there.

The AC in the 06 nearly froze us out in moderate heat, so I am hoping this one can at least keep things comfortable.

Tho when I head for home Saturday morning, I will head directly north, first.

Maggie
Old 07-05-2018, 03:19 AM   #95
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Looking forward to hearing all about your new-to-you AI. Wishing you an easy transition into the new model, many years of travel, building new memories and making new friends along the way.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:50 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We get 21 mpg running at 70 mph. Up to 27 going slower.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:42 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tincampers View Post
Funny. My 2007 is based on a 2006 Sprinter and has a 5 cylinder engine. 2006 was voted most reliable year over at sprinter-source forum.
Our local Sprinter-only MB repair shop says the same thing - 2006 is the golden year. But they are 12 years old now. Once they get a bunch of new rubber parts (hoses, belts, and seals), they'll continue to act like the most reliable year.

I had the same thing happen with my first Sienna around the 10 year mark. In southern climates, all the rubber parts have finite lifespans. My Sienna never "broke down" for any reason. But I spent gobs of money replacing organic components.

Edit: I had planned to finalize our preemptive replacement list yesterday when time was available, but LB_3 has to examine the engine before we make our final decisions on what to replace.

Right on cue, Houston started flooding. Not as bad as historically this time, but bad enough in some areas so that we gave it a name - the Independence Day Flood, which now takes its trophy spot right up there on our municipal mantel with the Tax Day Flood and the Memorial Day Flood (and of course the Harvey and Allison floods). Houston likes to flood on holidays - some odd coincidences that nobody understands - but no work got done yesterday as a result.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 11:36 AM   #98
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Hope you guys are dry.