Old 06-18-2018, 10:08 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Spoke with Mike at RV Master Techs this morning, who is sending me the certification their service department completed on the 07, documenting everything in the Airstream part and Sprinter part are in good working condition.

Between their thoroughness, and the kindly assistance from folks here and elsewhere, I should be in a good position to purchase if this goes thru. Have made an offer...

Still going to check on the 06, but it has a gold exterior, which I’m not sure I can stomach.

My credit union won’t do a secured loan for an RV older than 2008, so doing a HELOC for anything I need to pay in excess of what I’m getting from State Farm.

It won’t be much, but it needs to come from somewhere and I can pay it off fairly quickly.

Moving right along, and thank y’all for your help and support.

Maggie

Old 06-18-2018, 10:37 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Where are the wet bath and vent line fittings located?

I will forward the pictures, and thanks for looking at them.

Feel free to post here the picture and narrative of anything that concerns you.

Maggie
The grey tank connections are all under the van and not visible without sticking a camera up over the tank. Itís a small sample size, but EVERY T1N Interstate with a mid bath that Iíve inspected has had broken connectors.

The black tank vent has a lower failure rate and can be inspected opening the cabinet under the refrigerator.

LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thank you.

Waiting for that inspection checklist, which also includes the hoses and belts your wife suggested be looked at. I will ask that the grey tank connections be checked.

I may put a deposit on this, but wouldnt have to pay for it until I am physically there and have gone over everything myself.

Maggie
Old 06-18-2018, 10:53 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
I may put a deposit on this, but wouldnt have to pay for it until I am physically there and have gone over everything myself.

Maggie

. . . took the words right out of my mouth . . . your own personal smell test . . . vital IMO.

Great progress!

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
They sent a pile of service documents, some completed by owner in the past year....such as a new vent fan and recaulking of the roof ...and everything reportedly checks out good as of last month.

There is a note that the tires have plenty of tread and no cracking, but are 5 years old...should they be replaced beforehand if I were to drive this home?

It would seem to me perhaps yes....

Maggie
Old 06-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Ooooh.... I am getting excited for you. Two good possibilities. Price for plane ticket to Phoenix?

Paula
Old 06-18-2018, 01:04 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
. . .
. . . are 5 years old...should they be replaced beforehand if I were to drive this home?

Is this when they were purchased/installed or the age per the DOT date-of-mfg. code?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=11

It would be reasonable to ask for a photo of the DOT date code for each and every tire, including the spare IMO.

Sometimes old tires are pulled out of inventory without the customer knowing this. The mechanics in most tire shops do not usually check the date. For example, our 2014 FC has tires that were made in mid-2012. We are getting new ones soon.

Because you might be coming home in the hottest weather of the year, getting new tires would probably make sense, and will give you many years of peace of mind, not to mention a warranty. Relative to the overall investment cost, new tires would be easy to amortize/justify IMO, as you seem to have anticipated.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:33 PM   #50
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
They sent a pile of service documents, some completed by owner in the past year....such as a new vent fan and recaulking of the roof ...and everything reportedly checks out good as of last month.

There is a note that the tires have plenty of tread and no cracking, but are 5 years old...should they be replaced beforehand if I were to drive this home?

Maggie
This is just me... for my peace of mind... when buying a used vehicle, I change oil and all filters (oil, fuel, air), all the belts and coolant hoses in the engine, and tires if they are 4+ years old. Again, just for my peace of mind and to know that it was done.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Maggie,

You've sure had a lot going on the past few weeks. Getting back is the saddle fast seems to suit you. I'm not detecting any qualms on getting a new AS.

Here's hoping the inspections work out and the deal is a good one for you.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
This is just me... for my peace of mind... when buying a used vehicle, I change oil and all filters (oil, fuel, air), all the belts and coolant hoses in the engine, and tires if they are 4+ years old. Again, just for my peace of mind and to know that it was done.
Absolutely! 4-year old tires is a slippery number--is it 4 years on the vehicle, or 4 years per manufacture date code? To me, new rubber on tires, belts and hoses is just a reasonable precaution, even though I'm a quite capable wrench-swinger, I'd rather avoid surprises on the road. Oil and filter change is also cheap insurance against possible travel hassles.

As a point of fact, my tow vehicle gets an oil and filter change if the service would possibly become due on the planned trip, and a thorough inspection by my local trusted mechanic at the dealer that also uses a Toyota Tacoma to tow HIS trailer...because he knows what to look for...

And I don't ever use cheap parts or oil--it's not economical in the long run....
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks, folks.

I have not heard back re the 06, been trying to reach that dealer since Saturday morning...called and also sent a message thru their system. They may not be very interested in selling.

The owners countered my offer and I accepted, and feel comfortable with the $53,000 I’m going to be paying. A year newer model with 140,000 fewer miles, and still all manual...so similar to my wrecked one that there will be no learning curve.

I hope my seat covers will fit it, as I pulled those nearly new ones off my seats, brought them home and washed them up.

They sent me the invoice for an oil and filter change that occurred less than three months go, so I won’t get another before bringing it home. I think it’s been for sale since that time, or very close.

The sales guy has offered to find me new tires, so I will get those on before I leave there. I believe the ones on there are dated 2012, and there’s a note in the workup on it that the tires are 5 years old, so that’s all I need with y’all here saying “get new ones!”

When this first happened, I was a bit shocky and couldn’t fathom getting another RV anytime soon, and even entertained thoughts of an SUV tent for my RAV4.

But, insurance worked out within three weeks, I got a lot more than I initially thought I would, then I started really looking and this was for sale in what seems to be about as good of condition as one could hope for an 11 year old rig...which was exactly what I wanted.

I am a big believer in what is meant to be...or not...and this seems meant to be.

I have plans for later in the summer, that I was terribly disappointed might have to be cancelled...but apparently not, I’m supposed to be there, and am absolutely delighted.

I can’t get down to Phoenix to get it until after the 4th, but will have plenty of time once I am home to load ‘er up and get settled in before I need to leave.

Tickets from Chicago are surprisingly inexpensive...and, I’ll get to meet Hittenstiehl.

Meant to be..

Maggie
Old 06-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Maggie, remember, "Pictures or it didn't happen..." (grin)
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:50 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Iím not a big selfie person, but Iíll get one with Hittentiehl.

I have to say, RV Master Techs has been very user friendly.

Their service guy is going to call me re new Firestones all around, and they will take the Interstate to have these put on before I get there.

Theyíre also going to detail the rig and I can spend my first night plugged into 30 amp there, getting to know everything, running it all and insuring it is all to my satisfaction.

I mentioned to him that plane tickets to Phoenix were pretty cheap, and he said ďof course they are, itís summer and no one wants to come down here!Ē

Maggie
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Raymond , Iowa
I have no experience with Firestone tires, nor have I seen them discussed in the forum. Most of us replace the Continentals with Michelin Defenders and have been very happy. You might ask about the price of Michelin.

Titus is offline   Reply With Quote