Old 04-01-2016, 10:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
Loaning your Interstate

Just curious...In the short time that we've had it, I've had requests from family and close friends to rent/borrow our Interstate. Most were half joking but one was serious. So far I've had no problem saying no. Have any of you folks ever had the guts (or stupidity) to let someone use your rig? If so how did that go?

Old 04-01-2016, 10:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
They are easy to drive but a lot of potential for damage backing up,

You could tell them the same thing I tell friends that ask to drive my Viper. "Sure, just bring $100,000 Cash and you can drive it anytime you want"

Old 04-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #3
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
My comment, simular vain, No one gets use of Airstream. I have too much time and money invested. Too many little quirky things only you know. It only takes one misstep to have something major happen. I am actually surprised that Airstreams are rented and driven by people out for a couple week vacation. It took me a while to learn backing up.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't even let anyone else drive it when I'm with them, let alone when I'm not. Since I've owned my Interstate, Mercedes Benz and Airstream service techs are the only other people who have ever driven it at all, and cumulatively they've put maybe 5 miles on it out of the 27,000 presently on the odometer.

And my reluctance only has a little bit to do with insurance hassles if someone else drives it and wrecks it. My Interstate is the single most expensive thing I've ever owned, and there isn't a person in the world that I trust enough to hand over the keys to them to let them use and abuse it as they will.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Well of I figured they'd be good for say 10k of damages without a debate, probably yes. Those folks don't exist in my world.

Given that I'm fussy about my space and stuff, well bad candidate to ask for a loaner. Like the guy above. If you could barely affordable a Viper would you loan it out to all your family?

You need to assume they completely total your RV and have no insurance. If this is okay for you then loan it out happily.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:43 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
I would never do it, not because of the expense but because of the time and hassle to fix the things that are sure to break. The busiest RV shops around here have a 2 month wait just to get into the service department not even counting the time it takes to perform the maintenance and ship parts. Add in all my custom work and inability to get spare parts for many items in our T1N and it's a non starter.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
No THING is more valuable than people you love.... And while all of us love our Airstreams we are also aware of their quirks, foibles and weaknesses. We make allowances for them.

We make allowances for our family and friends and we understand their weaknesses - childlike self involvement and childlike greediness and childlike carelessness - and the tendency to want every bright shiney toy advertised on TV or in their line of sight.

NO is a complete sentence.
When you buy your own you can do anything you want with it.... is another.

Go perform a physiologically impossible sex act with yourself - was a sentence that I used in a badly done Howard Cosell imitation.

Paula
Old 04-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, this question was asked about trailers, and with the exception of a few, the answers were anywhere from No! to 7734 No!

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
No, I don't loan my RVs out nor my truck. If someone wants to "borrow" my truck, i go with it, no problem. I simply do not let anyone use our Airstream nor any previous Rvs. My ONLY exception would be one of our kids and theirs, but as adults they do not camp.
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:39 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Great opportunity for reflection on who one's friends and family are. There is only one person to whom I would consider loaning our Interstate - and that is the one person who I know would never see fit to ask for it. Says a lot, methinks.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:25 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Well of I figured they'd be good for say 10k of damages without a debate, probably yes. Those folks don't exist in my world.
If you could barely affordable a Viper would you loan it out to all your family?.
I'm not sure if this requires a response or not? Whether you pay cash or finance doesn't matter, paid off (mine is) or not?

If you wreck a Viper there are often much more serious consequences and almost never $10k or less in damages. Used to be (not sure about the Gen 5) that approx 50% were wrecked on the way home from the dealership after purchase. It is all about the software between your ears.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
If you could barely affordable a Viper would you loan it out to all your family?
That cuts right to the crux of the matter for a lot of people. Loaning out something that you can easily afford and easily replace is one thing. Loaning out something that you scrimped and saved for twenty years to afford is another, because quite aside from the money, you have a lot more of your life invested in it.

And loaning it out to someone who can't afford one either is a recipe for heartbreak, because if the worst happens and you end up suing him to recover the repair/replacement cost, he can't afford to pay and you'll each resent each other for the rest of your lives— you for the fact that he cost you a bundle, him because you were crass enough to expect him to pay for what he did instead of being a good friend and letting him off the hook.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:13 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
My "rig" has only been used or substantially driven by one other person, my son. He has been towing since he rec'd his temps at 15 1/2. It's second nature to him and he was towing professionally at 18 years old.

Accidents still happen, but it's just aluminum. (did I really say that?!)
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
The only category of person to whom I might lend my trailer (I know you asked about Interstates) would be a really good friend with a substantial amount of experience using (and towing) a rig of similar size. Since such a person would undoubtedly also own his or her own TT the question is why would they want to borrow mine? The only legitimate circumstance I could see is if their unit was in the shop or otherwise unavailable and they needed to go to an event that was time critical. I would also make my own personal assessment of their ability & willingness to pay for any damage/issues which they might cause.

I would certainly never lend it to a RV'ing newbie who wanted to check out the lifestyle.