Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2016, 04:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My rule is not to loan anything w/ a fossil fueled engine.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:35 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I doubt that he would ever ask but I would loan it to my son. I know he would be very careful. He is a hands on engineer with a feel for mechanical things, so I feel confident if I explained how things work, he would understand. Since he is smarter than me by a long shot, he would probably do a better job than I would.

My daughter would never ask as she would be so afraid something would happen.

Years ago a Corvette enthusiast colleague told me about a Corvette club rally they were putting on that weekend. I wasn't able to participate. Later that day I was talking to my boss about the rally and he mentioned he had always wanted to do something like that but did not have an appropriate car. I offered him the use of my Porsche 911. He was very reluctant but eventually I convinced him to take it.

The following Monday morning the Corvette enthusiast gave me the evil eye when I arrived for work. When I asked what was up, he told me that my boss and his wife placed first in the Corvette rally with my Porsche. That did not go down well with the other Corvette club members!! My boss was in seventh heaven!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Was it a TSD rally or an autocross?

Old 04-02-2016, 07:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Was it a TSD rally or an autocross?
TSD rally.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure why the Corvette folks were upset then other than the natural dislike of Porsches.

Old 04-02-2016, 07:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Just curious...In the short time that we've had it, I've had requests from family and close friends to rent/borrow our Interstate. Most were half joking but one was serious. So far I've had no problem saying no. Have any of you folks ever had the guts (or stupidity) to let someone use your rig? If so how did that go?
I've never have let anyone borrow my trailer or tow vehicle. Though, I have a friend that I trust enough, and family member or two that I would, if they asked.

To others, I've found one answer that always stops people from asking. When they ask I say "yes you can borrow it, but you will have to give me a cash bond for $xxxx," the cost of the vehicles, to cover any damage they might cause. After they realize what it costs, they never ask again. (so far)
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

It is "just a thing" ....a very expensive thing! My response would be...you are not insured on my policy. If something happened, even an accident caused by another driver, I would not only be out a very large investment, that I must still pay for, but my insurance rates would skyrocket. No, sorry!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I like to keep it simple. I never ask to borrow anyone else's vehicle, trailer, boat, or RV. If I need one of those, I find a way to arrange for it without having to ask for such a personal favor.

And I have a policy to not lend out such vehicles either.

It may seem cold or ungiving, but it heads off a lot of potential trouble right from the start.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:57 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
LADY (Ha) Camper

I'm retiring in 2 more months - countdown!

I've been fulltiming and working for years - and at my "home" campground I'm the "go to" woman who often encourages other women to learn to tow - and for a few who've been widowed, how to do the basics on their rigs.

This is why I won't lend out my trailer....

One thing that never ceases to amaze me is how many newbie women don't get the basics of how an RV toilet works. Disposable diapers .... (edited) Why oh why wouldn't you put them in the trash?! And HOW did you get even one to flush down the toilet? And having created a hideous 20 pound fill the tank clog of them why would you expect ME to actually do the dirty work of getting them out of the tank? (A plastic cement mixing tray and a novel use of the awning hook solved the problem one diaper at a time.)

Paula
Old 04-03-2016, 04:09 AM   #30
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I'm retiring in 2 more months - countdown!
At the risk of derailing the thread, congratulations! The day you retire, the stress relief that comes of not having to work anymore will instantly make you ten years younger.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:17 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Paula,
In advance...congratulations on your pending retirement!
Regarding your example.....I don't get it either! some folks...men or women...just don't seem to engage all the grey matter between their ears. Have you ever been in a restaurant to witness some dumb fool put a little baby on the table to change it's dirty diaper?

That'll change your appetite in a real hurry! Some people are just plain stupid. End of story!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:32 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

I have lent mine out about 5 times already between friends and family. Almost everything everyone has said so far is true.
1) if something breaks, which you almost have to assume will happen, it can take months to get fixed at a dealer. I run a business where I can call on my employees to fix the generator or straighten out the rear bumper or install transfer switch, etc in one day. Most owners don't have this option. And all of the above has had to be done before after a relative took it out.
2) you must call the drivers insurance company and see what extends while they drive the RV. Liability usually does but often collision does not- then that parts on you, and I would say sorry!

So, if you can't fix it yourself and you can't guarantee full coverage on that vehicle, I wouldn't do it.
Hammertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:11 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
It's not an interstate, but here I am, lending out my Avion before I even got to use it myself. My business partner had a triple bypass and can't do a lot of stairs. His housing situation would be impossible if he couldn't get some kind of temporary housing for a month or two.... AND Virginia Beach rentals start to skyrocket in May. And we're both trying to transition to retirement. Keeping him de-stressed is priceless. The Avion would be sitting vacant in storage until after we got through the whole process, so letting him use it actually destresses me too.

He's entirely trustworthy, and is pretty handy with anything electrical or electronic. So, because I know he is careful and would reimburse me for any damage I loaned it to him. I also moved it onto the site, and will move it back off. We also checked out all of the systems together, and I'll go visit him about every two days. He's starting to really like the big ole thing.

Paula
Old 05-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That was a kind and generous thing to do, Paula.

You may have trouble getting it back.

Maggie
Old 05-06-2016, 05:27 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
A priceless gift, Paula. Well done!

In the 90's we loaned our 25' to a young couple as their honeymoon cottage and that gift still resonates today.

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 08:32 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Many Airstream and RV dealers RENT these RVs out, and if someone wants to "try the lifestyle" that's what they should do.... however, their reluctance to pay the daily rental is probably why they want to "borrow" yours.

All the comments against such practices are good. The risk to relationships is great.

A former neighbor loaned his camping trailer out and was sued for the injury suffered by the borrower's friend who got hurt in it. The borrower couldn't dissuade his visitor from the act or the lawsuit. If the visitor had been electrocuted to death by the owner's modification I can't imagine the owner being able to withstand the financial burden without losing his estate and bankrupting his own family.

If it's wrecked on the highway, your insurance company may total it and pay you only it's residual value... not it's replacement value. Will your borrower make up the difference? Did they even consider the matter before they asked?...of course not. Its YOUR risk ...not theirs...and that's why they rudely asked to borrow it in the first place.

Best answer to avoid teaching them how stoopid they are for asking?.... "My insurance doesn't cover it. Sorry."

There's an adage that applies to these things: "Neither lender nor borrower be.'
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
And how is that my problem? (Dr. Phil)

A friend will help you move, a really good friend will help you move a body!

Bob & I have been business partners in a telephone answering service/call center for 36 years. Only twice have we nearly murdered each other, but we've rescued each other a couple of dozen times each. He's wired up every new computer I've ever bought, and repaired half of the ones that have broken. I owe him.

I'd turn down most of my blood relatives without any hesitation - and I'd be honest while using the classic Dr Phil line... so you've lost your job, and your dad won't take you in, and your sister has a restraining order.... and so... how is that MY problem?

In less drastic cases I'd go with "I love you but you're a klutz. You're not wealthy... and if you return something it's damaged or broken, so - NO." (And in reserve - you're poor, clumsy, and careless - and how is any of that my problem?)

I still think it's a bad idea to loan vehicles, RV's, boats, etc. That second hand lawsuit thing doesn't happen very often but when it does it's life altering in a very bad way.

OTOH, knowing when to make an exception to a general rule is what keeps us human. I am getting some real entertainment along the way. Bob was putting his groceries in the fridge and went "damn, there's no room for a gallon of milk"... I reached over and pulled out the plastic insert in the the middle tray and smiled gently. He put the milk in the perfectly sized spot.

Bob last RV'ed in the 1970's and when he needed heat he called to ask "are there any matches here and where do I light the furnace?" I could here his relief I told him to just turn on the thermostat (he was loathe to think that I'd come over and stand out in the cold rain at night to light the furnace and water heater - but knew he shouldn't do it himself.)

The water heater took a bit of doing, because neither of us knew there was an on/off control for it on the trailer's front control center/entertainment system. But once we remembered - oh that's where the 12 volt kill switch is located, looking at the others was logical. OOH, hot water in less than one minute is something I'm looking forward to myself. Wonder how long I'll be able to resist upgrading the Airstream?

Frank put in switches that turn lights on in the pantry and closets when the doors are opened. That's another perfect simple thing to have. It's like a backup camera... how did I ever do without one?

Paula
Old 05-08-2016, 01:05 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2004 22' Interstate
Redding , California
My grand parents taught me...

"Neither a Borrower nor a Lender be" I have yet to meet anyone who would treat my possessions with the same care that I treat them. There are plenty of places that rent out rv's.....let them shoulder the risk.
jet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:51 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Has the word subrogation been mentioned here? Air Forums tags it as a misspelling and it's no wonder - a lot of folks haven't heard of it. It's when a third party is pursued by an insurance company whether an injured party personally approves of that approach or not. So even if your "good friend" wouldn't sue you in a million years, his insurance company would do it on his behalf in a heartbeat if they got a chance or had a reason.

Subrogation clauses are built into many insurance policies and often aren't noticed until some event activates them. When you hear on the news about some 12-year-old babysitter being sued and the story sounds absurd, it's usually the hand of subrogation at work.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote