Old 04-02-2016, 10:42 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Evansville , Indiana
I appreciate all the thoughtful comments from the group. I figured we'd have very similar viewpoints on this subject. The mental picture of our bus being returned in the same condition as a post-Katrina FEMA temporary housing trailer is what keeps me from loaning it to my brother in law.

Old 04-02-2016, 10:45 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bradenton , Florida
I allow people to ride in it, take a nap in it and maybe go pee.. But in no way shape or form is someone else going to take my buggy on trip!! I say "go buy your own"

Old 04-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Insurance goes with the vehicle. If someone has an accident with your vehicle, your insurance will pay which may cause your rates to go up. I did loan my truck to my son. He backed into a retaining wall below his line of sight. His insurance refused to pay, saying it was my insurance company's responsibility. My insurance agreed.

I'm not sure of this, but I suspect in a catastrophic situation you could be found liable since you made the judgement to let the other person drive the vehicle, and your insurance provides coverage but only up to its limits.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 11:12 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I've loaned my AS and a class A motorhome on several occasions. They're only "things" and can be replaced. My wife has loaned her Porsche to friends for special occasions. Not once after loaning these things have I had to fix, replace or repair them.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
Not once after loaning these things have I had to fix, replace or repair them.
Count your blessings! I've not been so lucky. I learned my lesson way in 1978 when loaned someone the only car that I owned at the time, and got it back a crumpled heap of twisted steel after THEY loaned it to someone else. And that's exactly why I am dead-set against loaning out anything I own now.

If someone wants to use my Airstream Interstate they'd better steal it, because grand theft auto is a felony. Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle is only a misdemeanor.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Count your blessings! I've not been so lucky. I learned my lesson way in 1978 when loaned someone the only car that I owned at the time, and got it back a crumpled heap of twisted steel after THEY loaned it to someone else. And that's exactly why I am dead-set against loaning out anything I own now.

If someone wants to use my Airstream Interstate they'd better steal it, because grand theft auto is a felony. Unauthorized use of a motor vehicle is only a misdemeanor.
Ditto, I let a "friend" ride my motorcycle (750 Yamaha) back about 1981. He laid it down within a quarter mile and did not have deep pockets to help me put it back together.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:37 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
My rule is not to loan anything w/ a fossil fueled engine.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
I doubt that he would ever ask but I would loan it to my son. I know he would be very careful. He is a hands on engineer with a feel for mechanical things, so I feel confident if I explained how things work, he would understand. Since he is smarter than me by a long shot, he would probably do a better job than I would.

My daughter would never ask as she would be so afraid something would happen.

Years ago a Corvette enthusiast colleague told me about a Corvette club rally they were putting on that weekend. I wasn't able to participate. Later that day I was talking to my boss about the rally and he mentioned he had always wanted to do something like that but did not have an appropriate car. I offered him the use of my Porsche 911. He was very reluctant but eventually I convinced him to take it.

The following Monday morning the Corvette enthusiast gave me the evil eye when I arrived for work. When I asked what was up, he told me that my boss and his wife placed first in the Corvette rally with my Porsche. That did not go down well with the other Corvette club members!! My boss was in seventh heaven!!
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:37 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Was it a TSD rally or an autocross?

Old 04-02-2016, 08:38 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Was it a TSD rally or an autocross?
TSD rally.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Not sure why the Corvette folks were upset then other than the natural dislike of Porsches.

Old 04-02-2016, 08:59 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntAsphalt View Post
Just curious...In the short time that we've had it, I've had requests from family and close friends to rent/borrow our Interstate. Most were half joking but one was serious. So far I've had no problem saying no. Have any of you folks ever had the guts (or stupidity) to let someone use your rig? If so how did that go?
I've never have let anyone borrow my trailer or tow vehicle. Though, I have a friend that I trust enough, and family member or two that I would, if they asked.

To others, I've found one answer that always stops people from asking. When they ask I say "yes you can borrow it, but you will have to give me a cash bond for $xxxx," the cost of the vehicles, to cover any damage they might cause. After they realize what it costs, they never ask again. (so far)
Old 04-02-2016, 09:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

It is "just a thing" ....a very expensive thing! My response would be...you are not insured on my policy. If something happened, even an accident caused by another driver, I would not only be out a very large investment, that I must still pay for, but my insurance rates would skyrocket. No, sorry!
ColoradoLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:49 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I like to keep it simple. I never ask to borrow anyone else's vehicle, trailer, boat, or RV. If I need one of those, I find a way to arrange for it without having to ask for such a personal favor.

And I have a policy to not lend out such vehicles either.

It may seem cold or ungiving, but it heads off a lot of potential trouble right from the start.