Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Load Transfer Switch Problems

I'm having a problem with the generator providing power to the power distribution panel. Looks like we narrowed it down to the load transfer switch. Anyone else have problems with the switch?

BACKGROUND (short version)

- House battery shows 100% charged.
- Start Generator to run the AC
- Generator is on, but no power to the distribution center. No lights on the panel, no power to the AC, Microwave, etc
- Turned generator off. Plugged in shore power. Power now present to the distribution center. AC, microwave, etc have power.
- Start generator (with shore power connected), distribution center switches automatically to GEN (as designed). AC operates.
- Remove shore power with generator still running - AC shuts off. No power to distribution center (generator still running)
- Re-attach shore power - distribution center switches automatically to GEN. AC has power once again.

I shut everything down and cycled the above steps a number of times. I also tapped on the load transfer switch (ATS-301); both on the housing and on the relay itself. The problem persists. The relay contacts in the load transfer switch look good and are not 'welded' together

SUMMARY
- The power distribution center works off of shore power
- It also works with the generator, but only WITH shore power present
- The distribution center does NOT work on the generator alone

I'm guessing a new load transfer switch is in my future. I was able to get ahold of customer support and walked thru the above steps. It was about 4:45 on Friday for them. They said that I could get it replaced, but we did not have the discussion if it would be covered under warranty.

Looks like a new switch is ~$80. If necessary, I'll replace it myself. Looks like I'll be taking the Yamaha generator (EF2000 IS) with me this weekend...

FWIW, I always was a surge protector (30A Surge Guard) when plugged into shore power.

Of course it happens on a holiday weekend when it is hot and I'm heading out of town with the rig. Damn Murphy and his laws...

-Kaylor
2012 Interstate Lounge EXT

BTW, my load transfer switch in under the lounge behind the rear left wheel well. It's accessible just by pulling back the carpet.

Also, earlier in the troubleshooting process, I verified that my inline fuse (1 amp) for the power distribution center was good (that was located behind the 'board with the 4 screws'; the backside of the fuse/inverter box).
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Olympia , Washington
There have been problems with transfer switches, (that the ATS-301 was supposed to fix)
I'm tempted to go with another brand.
30 Amp Transfer Switches

Talk to Randy at Best Converter.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Pro Pride
Centramatics
daveswenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
Teamaron, could this be your problem too?
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Try disconnecting shore power, generator off, and turning the battery disconnect switch off. After about five minutes, turn battery disconnect back on and start generator.

I have a problem if I turn off the battery disconnect and when turning back on, the Load monitor fails to show current draw. Then I have to "reboot" as above. Probably not your problem but doesn't cost much to try.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Thanks for the suggestion 73Shark. However, the problem persists. That did not do the trick.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
Hmmph. I am having what may be the opposite problem. Everything is fine on the generator, but on shore power everything comes on for a moment, then goes dark. Flip the inverter/charger switch under the lounge to off (count to five) then back on and it lights up for a moment, then goes dark again. Problem only seems to come up if there is more than just charging load on the circuit (hot water tank or A/C), but once it's doing it, shutting the additional load off does not change anything. If I then start the generator, everything is fine. Hope this is not a thread hijack, I got online to post my problem and yours sounded like it might be related.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
Park City , UT
Got my rig back from storage and got the problem figured out with help from the manager there. I'm embarrassed to say it was the breaker in the generator itself. I didn't know it existed in there. When under the van and at the access panel, I saw the 5 AMP fuse, but the breaker is further down inside and can't bee seen (at least from my position under the van). I must of tripped it the last time I was in there adding oil. When trouble shooting with AS, he asked about the breakers, but I was assuming he meant the inside ones.

In any case, it is operational and I had the opportunity to learn more about my electrical systems. BTW, reading the generator manual would have helped. I looked at the trip lite manual and did research on the load transfer switch, but in my haste, never consulted the generator manual.