Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2018, 03:45 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Little to no wind-Awning Up and over the Roof

New 2018 Airsteam Interstate with new Carefree Awning Designed for this model.
9:00 AM Saturday morning, Orange Beach, AL. Little to no wind.
My awning went vertical straight up an over the roof laying on the roof on the drivers side.

With help, we retracted it. Mobile RV mechanic turned it over. However, the brace holding it on with three screws was bend and the Front of the awning would no go in.

Approach for repair was email to Airstream warenty; service appointments with local dealer on March 10, 2018.

Anyone heard of this issue prior or heard of this issue?

Is this a warranty issue or insurance issue.

Any thoughts on this issue or welcomed.

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sthrngary View Post

Is this a warranty issue or insurance issue.

Any thoughts on this issue or welcomed.
Insurance, assuming you want to make a claim and risk your rates increasing.

Warranty is for defective items. Not sure how you'd claim that in this case....
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
A gust can come ou of nowhere. An accident. Only God can control wind.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:12 AM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Gary, very sorry to read this.

Another forum member had that issue as well with his newly installed driver side awning...

It was handled via an insurance claim.

Here is his thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-166276-2.html
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
2015 28' International
Little Rock , Arkansas
Something similar happened to me at the International Rally in Escanaba with my power Zipdee. It ended up being a $6,000 insurance claim and two trips to the Mother Ship at Jackson Center. I feel your pain.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Red face Got to take in on the chin and ego sometimes!

Razorhog; Thank you for overviewing your situation. In everything having to do with RVing, we all will have problems. Those issues are large and small. Anything that happens educates up to either change our approach in the future or help a sole that has the situation you had in the past.

The only thing injured in this situation was my pride. It was the first time my lovely wife of 37 years joined me in this new unit overnight. I told her things go wrong and break. That it happens and you just roll with the punches. She agreed.

HOWEVER, the same day the kitchen faucet came off (Easy Fix), The mattress topper was not cooperating, and we might have had a little to much at a lovely Happy Hour in Orange Beach, AL to lessen our challenging day. SO, that night was a bit tough on my ego. LOL

Thanks everyone, I will let everyone know what happens.

Gary T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
Something similar happened to me at the International Rally in Escanaba with my power Zipdee. It ended up being a $6,000 insurance claim and two trips to the Mother Ship at Jackson Center. I feel your pain.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:09 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Counting my Blessings

Wachuko;

Thank you for your kind words. This is yet another Coach lesson. First I will get additional items to secure the CareFree Awning. Seeing how it is secured to the Sprinter is a bit concerning. Second, it is not what happens to your coach that matters, they break. what matters is how you handle the issues when they happen. Third and finally, no finer folks then RVers. With in seconds 7 gentlemen were there helping me. 1.5 hours for the mobile RV Repair to show up on a Saturday and very easy communication with both Airstream Warranty and my insurance company.

Counting my blessings.

Gary T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Gary, very sorry to read this.

Another forum member had that issue as well with his newly installed driver side awning...

It was handled via an insurance claim.

Here is his thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...-166276-2.html

Old 02-28-2018, 09:45 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Des Peres , Missouri
Does strapping down these awnings help?
I have seen many people supporting the awning ends but haven't seen airstream recommending doing so
dmbecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #9

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post
I have seen many people supporting the awning ends but haven't seen airstream recommending doing so
The newer ones do not have the supports... they have a sensor that is supposed to retract the awning if it senses strong winds...

I guess that you could install support on them, but the self retracting sensor would have to be disabled...
WBCCI #26769
Old 03-01-2018, 11:01 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Dmbecke, Thank you for the question

Dmbecke:

After this situation happened to me, you can bet I did a little research on your suggestion. There are all sorts of third party devices that are made for such things. Using them, would void your warranty. Here is why. If this very expensive "CareFree" electric owning was truly made for this years Airstream Interstate AND it has a wind retraction feature for just this circumstance, when it retracts, it will have to pull your added braces/weights along with it.

In my situation, I made a warranty claim based on the retraction option not working initially OR EVEN when it was completely over my AI. I also have a pending Insurance claim. If I used a third party device, the only road would be insurance.

I hope that made sense.

Gary Tilkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbecke View Post

Old 04-16-2018, 08:45 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Outcome: Awning blowing over the top of my 2018 Interstate

I am very happy to say that my 2018 Airstream Interstate TB Carefree awning has been replaced with a brand new one. I am also happy to report that the work was done by my local Airstream dealer and they were NOT who I bought the unit from. This local dealer even did some other warranty work while replacing my awning.

The replacement was done 3 days after all the parts came in; I waited for the unit in the client lounge and it only took 2.5 hours. The tech was GREAT and greeting me before and after the repair was done. The Service Writer also did a great job.

This again proves the RV industry is getting a bit better at being client-centered. It also proves that successful and professional communication always wins out. Finally none of this would have happened PERIOD it the great people at Airstream Warranty did not assist in approval, trouble shooting and coordination.

Finally, I AM VERY SORRY TO SAY, my now PERFECT 2018 Airstream Interstate is for sale on Airstream Classifieds. Just last week my wife and I sold our Florida Home and are moving to Birmingham, AL. The funds from the sale of the Interstate will allow us to purchase a new home near our daughter. Literally, this is breaking my heart. Those that have seen my post know how I feel about all Airstream products especially my Interstate.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrvr View Post
A gust can come ou of nowhere. An accident. Only God can control wind.
I agree with XRVR

Aeolus, god and Ruler of the Winds (ancient Greek)
Njorse (Norse mythology)
Amun (Egytian)
Ehecatl, god of wind. (Aztec)
Okaga, fertility goddess of the south winds (Lakota, my personal favorite)
Fei Lian, the Wind God (Chinese)
Ara Tiotio, god of tornadoes and whirlwinds (Maori)
Vate god of air, wind (Iranian)
and of course the ever popular Beelzebub.
Hundreds of others, just do the Google.

So, one of them was messing with you! It probably depends on where you were at the time or what type of incense you were burning, or something totally beyond your control.

Wind gusts need to be a major concern when deploying your awning, no matter the brand, and even if you have hold downs (although they do help). When you fully deploy your awing you are putting up a sail with an area of at least 72 sf! Even a 10mph gust can cause twisting and bending and warping.
I personally don't deploy unless I'm sticking at the campsite, and never leave it up after bed time. Glad to hear AS took care of the damage
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:42 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Finally, I AM VERY SORRY TO SAY, my now PERFECT 2018 Airstream Interstate is for sale on Airstream Classifieds. Just last week my wife and I sold our Florida Home and are moving to Birmingham, AL. The funds from the sale of the Interstate will allow us to purchase a new home near our daughter. Literally, this is breaking my heart. Those that have seen my post know how I feel about all Airstream products especially my Interstate.
Well shucks. Sometimes life turns on a dime.

Thanks for the awning update, good luck with your sale, and good luck in your new home.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #14

Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Well shucks. Sometimes life turns on a dime.

Thanks for the awning update, good luck with your sale, and good luck in your new home.
No kidding! Wow!

Gary, hope it is all well. Wishing you the best in the new house and hope the sale with the AI goes smoothly and quickly.

Take care and thank you for the suggestions and videos made.
WBCCI #26769
Old 04-17-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Curious which dealership made you happy.
One of my frustrations with mega dealers like Lazy Days is you are so isolated from the service tech. To actually speak to one is fantastic.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:56 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
KEEP the Interstate and park it in their neighborhood! Become full timers! Pocket all that money you made on the house or invest it for grandkids!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
Gary - sorry to see you put the AI up for sale. Really appreciate all the help and guidance provided. You are a class act sir.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
NORTH MYRTLE BEACH , South Carolina
Where did you have service done. They are obviously a good service center. Glad it went well for you
Mansderm161 is offline   Reply With Quote