Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2015, 04:38 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Lifeline Batteries

I need to replace the house batteries. Does anyone know if the Lifeline 27T will fit or do I need to stick with the 24T?
Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
ofdcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I can't see your profile to see which Interstate you have - standard length or extended? Battery position is dependent on model.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Depends on whether you intend to keep the battery box or not. With the removal of said box, you can use a variety of Lifeline's offerings up to a pair of 6-CT golf cart batteries at 300 amp/hours.

Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:03 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
I have a 2015 Grand Tour Ext and upgraded my batteries to the GPL-6CT. My battery box was outside underneath behind the driver side rear wheels. My dealer had to have new battery boxes built. It wasn't cheap, but I think in the long run it will be worth it.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I just converted a new Grand Tour to 400 watts of solar with a 300 amp/hour lithium and Magnum MS-2012. All components placed inside the coach with minimal impact on storage availability.

BTW, if you want a real eye opener, take a look at how Airstream mounted the new 'upgraded' 100 watt flex solar panel. I seriously doubt that it works any better than the old 50 watt hard panel that they used previously.

I'll post some shots on a new thread when I get a minute.

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 11-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

It's a 2013 extended lounge. Plan to keep the same battery box under the sofa.
Old 11-10-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofdcb View Post
It's a 2013 extended lounge. Plan to keep the same battery box under the sofa.
pair of GPL-27T might fit if you remove the bottom battery tray.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Thank you
Old 11-11-2015, 05:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
One other thought; you might need to rotate the larger batteries 90º ti fit properly. This works well on trailer mounted batteries and might also be necessary for your AI.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:36 AM   #10
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Might be a good time to consider upgrading to 6v batteries. On my 2014 Twin with the batteries under the roadside bed, the Lifeline GPL 4ct's fit with room to spare and the existing cables worked perfectly for the series connection. The benefit is 37.5% more capacity. (220 AH vs 160 for the existing 12v batteries). Check the battery specs on Lifeline's website and you can compare replacement batteries to your existing to be sure they'll fit.
Just a thought.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:31 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
Dalwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
I have a 2015 Grand Tour Ext and upgraded my batteries to the GPL-6CT. My battery box was outside underneath behind the driver side rear wheels. My dealer had to have new battery boxes built. It wasn't cheap, but I think in the long run it will be worth it.
I have the same 2015 Grand Tour as you. After reading your post I became concerned about the fact that you felt the OEM batteries needed replacing. Can you tell me your reasoning? I was at the factory 3 weeks ago and asked them about access to the house batteries. They were a bit vague. I also asked about rotating the tires. They were not able to perform this and in checking with several Airstream dealers they did not seem to be able to do this either. Do you have experience with this? Many thanks. Jeff Becker.....Cape Coral, Fl
jeffbec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbec51 View Post
I also asked about rotating the tires. They were not able to perform this and in checking with several Airstream dealers they did not seem to be able to do this either. Do you have experience with this? Many thanks. Jeff Becker.....Cape Coral, Fl
The problem with rotating the tires is you have THREE different rims on an Interstate, front, outside rear, and inside rear. You CAN rotate the tires, but only by taking each tire off of its rim and moving it to a new rim. Not worth the effort in most cases.

The purpose behind tire rotation is to spread the tread wear more-or-less evenly among all of the tires. But that's a tradition that goes back to the days of natural rubber tires made from tree sap. Modern synthetic rubber tires tend not to wear as badly. You'll have to replace them due to age long before you wear away the tread. Unless you see unusual wear on the front tires due to incorrect front-end alignment, tire rotation is not strictly necessary on an Interstate.
Old 11-19-2015, 05:51 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
I have the same 2015 Grand Tour as you. After reading your post I became concerned about the fact that you felt the OEM batteries needed replacing. Can you tell me your reasoning? I was at the factory 3 weeks ago and asked them about access to the house batteries. They were a bit vague. I also asked about rotating the tires. They were not able to perform this and in checking with several Airstream dealers they did not seem to be able to do this either. Do you have experience with this? Many thanks. Jeff Becker.....Cape Coral, Fl
The original batteries could not keep my fridge and freezer running overnight when dry camping. The batteries are underneath behind the drivers side rear wheels. I have not had any experience with rotating the tires, I think the manual shows how it should be done. Hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cape Coral , Florida
Thanks...that was a BIG help. Can you approximate the cost for this? A competitive RV brand is pushing hard on upgraded solar panels and special batteries. It sounds expensive.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks...that was a BIG help. Can you approximate the cost for this? A competitive RV brand is pushing hard on upgraded solar panels and special batteries. It sounds expensive.

An 'effective' solar charging system (I don't consider Airstream's feeble attempt at solar charging as effective) with new lithium batteries IS an expensive upgrade, but it is also the last electrical upgrade you will probably need for the next 10-15 years. 🙂

Lew Farber
541-490-6357
Old 11-19-2015, 08:34 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
I recently upgraded my batteries to two GLP 6CT I was unable to fit them in the battery box. I've seen comments here that suggest one could leave the batteries exposed, however I wanted to keep everything as factory as possible. I did some exact measuring, took the battery box to a metal fabricator, had him cut the top off the factory box, make a new top with side walls to extend the overall box height. Had to repaint it, then had to slightly raise the rear seat with shims (washers) approx. 1/4" to accommodate the taller box. It was a bit of a pain but turned out well. I'm much happier with the longer life batteries.
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 08:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
I recently upgraded my batteries to two GLP 6CT I was unable to fit them in the battery box. I've seen comments here that suggest one could leave the batteries exposed, however I wanted to keep everything as factory as possible. I did some exact measuring, took the battery box to a metal fabricator, had him cut the top off the factory box, make a new top with side walls to extend the overall box height. Had to repaint it, then had to slightly raise the rear seat with shims (washers) approx. 1/4" to accommodate the taller box. It was a bit of a pain but turned out well. I'm much happier with the longer life batteries.
All new Interstate Grand Tours have their batteries 'exposed' as they rate located beneath the floor behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. The battery terminals are facing inward and placed on their sides, but are fully exposed to the elements. No problem with Lifelines!
Old 11-20-2015, 08:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
All new Interstate Grand Tours have their batteries 'exposed' as they rate located beneath the floor behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. The battery terminals are facing inward and placed on their sides, but are fully exposed to the elements. No problem with Lifelines!

When I looked at the new 2016 models during the recent Hersey RV show even the Lounge models had the batteries mounted under the van like last years Grand Tour models.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Can you approximate the cost for this? A competitive RV brand is pushing hard on upgraded solar panels and special batteries. It sounds expensive.
I paid $2300 for the batteries, new battery boxes being manufactured, an additional brace around the battery box and removal and installation. It was much more than I had anticipated but the new battery boxes were $300 each and much more labor involved to remove and install. I believe the batteries weight about 75 lbs more in total than original.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cape Coral , Florida
Sounds like quite an investment. I will be studying this as time goes on. Thanks again.