Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2015, 06:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
I paid $2300 for the batteries, new battery boxes being manufactured, an additional brace around the battery box and removal and installation. It was much more than I had anticipated but the new battery boxes were $300 each and much more labor involved to remove and install. I believe the batteries weight about 75 lbs more in total than original.
For that kind of money, you could be in lithium territory.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The lithium iron phosphate battery needs to be in a relatively warm area since they do like like to be charged below 32 degrees. They can provide power below that temperature.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
For that kind of money, you could be in lithium territory.
Not sure we have anyone able to do that in this area and Dec, Jan and Feb can get cold. Actually, this morning we are at 26.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 08:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Not sure we have anyone able to do that in this area and Dec, Jan and Feb can get cold. Actually, this morning we are at 26.
In the Interstate coach, I place the lithium batteries inside. Remember, they can be used below freezing, just not charged, as damage will probably occur during the charging process in below freezing conditions. Even if stored in below freezing temperatures, if the battery is located inside the coach, you can use the furnace to warm the interior to above 35ºF before charging the lithium.

In addition, due to their negligible internal resistance, a full lithium will stay that way for extended periods, assuming that there are no parasitic loads on the battery, thus providing ample power to warm the interior of the coach prior to use.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:32 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
In the Interstate coach, I place the lithium batteries inside. Remember, they can be used below freezing, just not charged, as damage will probably occur during the charging process in below freezing conditions. Even if stored in below freezing temperatures, if the battery is located inside the coach, you can use the furnace to warm the interior to above 35ºF before charging the lithium.
Thanks for the info. Don't lithium batteries need to have something done to the wiring? If so, not sure anyone in this area has done that work before.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Don't lithium batteries need to have something done to the wiring? If so, not sure anyone in this area has done that work before.
There are modifications that are needed and I would not have any one learn on your vehicle. This is something that requires an experienced tech.

Lithiums are not exactly 'plug and play' yet.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:59 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks for the info Lewster. Maybe by the time I need to replace the batteries lithium will be more common and I can get them installed here in my area.