Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbec51 View Post
Thanks...that was a BIG help. Can you approximate the cost for this? A competitive RV brand is pushing hard on upgraded solar panels and special batteries. It sounds expensive.

An 'effective' solar charging system (I don't consider Airstream's feeble attempt at solar charging as effective) with new lithium batteries IS an expensive upgrade, but it is also the last electrical upgrade you will probably need for the next 10-15 years. 🙂


Lew Farber
RVIA/RVDA Nationally Certified Master Tech
Master Tech Energy Systems, Inc.
AM Solar Certified Installation Center
Lifeline Batteries**Magnum Inverters
541-490-6357
__________________

__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:34 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member
 
Jeff64's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Springfield , Missouri
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 113
Images: 1
I recently upgraded my batteries to two GLP 6CT I was unable to fit them in the battery box. I've seen comments here that suggest one could leave the batteries exposed, however I wanted to keep everything as factory as possible. I did some exact measuring, took the battery box to a metal fabricator, had him cut the top off the factory box, make a new top with side walls to extend the overall box height. Had to repaint it, then had to slightly raise the rear seat with shims (washers) approx. 1/4" to accommodate the taller box. It was a bit of a pain but turned out well. I'm much happier with the longer life batteries.
__________________

__________________
Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 09:47 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff64 View Post
I recently upgraded my batteries to two GLP 6CT I was unable to fit them in the battery box. I've seen comments here that suggest one could leave the batteries exposed, however I wanted to keep everything as factory as possible. I did some exact measuring, took the battery box to a metal fabricator, had him cut the top off the factory box, make a new top with side walls to extend the overall box height. Had to repaint it, then had to slightly raise the rear seat with shims (washers) approx. 1/4" to accommodate the taller box. It was a bit of a pain but turned out well. I'm much happier with the longer life batteries.
All new Interstate Grand Tours have their batteries 'exposed' as they rate located beneath the floor behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. The battery terminals are facing inward and placed on their sides, but are fully exposed to the elements. No problem with Lifelines!
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
All new Interstate Grand Tours have their batteries 'exposed' as they rate located beneath the floor behind the rear wheel on the driver's side. The battery terminals are facing inward and placed on their sides, but are fully exposed to the elements. No problem with Lifelines!

When I looked at the new 2016 models during the recent Hersey RV show even the Lounge models had the batteries mounted under the van like last years Grand Tour models.


- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
__________________
- - Mike
--------------------------
2013 Airstream Interstate Lounge EXT
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
 
Dalwyn's Avatar

 
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbec51 View Post
Can you approximate the cost for this? A competitive RV brand is pushing hard on upgraded solar panels and special batteries. It sounds expensive.
I paid $2300 for the batteries, new battery boxes being manufactured, an additional brace around the battery box and removal and installation. It was much more than I had anticipated but the new battery boxes were $300 each and much more labor involved to remove and install. I believe the batteries weight about 75 lbs more in total than original.
__________________
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:15 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Cape Coral , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 30
Sounds like quite an investment. I will be studying this as time goes on. Thanks again.
__________________
jeffbec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
I paid $2300 for the batteries, new battery boxes being manufactured, an additional brace around the battery box and removal and installation. It was much more than I had anticipated but the new battery boxes were $300 each and much more labor involved to remove and install. I believe the batteries weight about 75 lbs more in total than original.
For that kind of money, you could be in lithium territory.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:46 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
switz's Avatar

 
2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,799
Images: 8
The lithium iron phosphate battery needs to be in a relatively warm area since they do like like to be charged below 32 degrees. They can provide power below that temperature.
__________________
WBCCI Life Member 5123, AIR 70341, 4CU, WD9EMC

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member
 
Dalwyn's Avatar

 
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
For that kind of money, you could be in lithium territory.
Not sure we have anyone able to do that in this area and Dec, Jan and Feb can get cold. Actually, this morning we are at 26.
__________________
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
Not sure we have anyone able to do that in this area and Dec, Jan and Feb can get cold. Actually, this morning we are at 26.
In the Interstate coach, I place the lithium batteries inside. Remember, they can be used below freezing, just not charged, as damage will probably occur during the charging process in below freezing conditions. Even if stored in below freezing temperatures, if the battery is located inside the coach, you can use the furnace to warm the interior to above 35F before charging the lithium.

In addition, due to their negligible internal resistance, a full lithium will stay that way for extended periods, assuming that there are no parasitic loads on the battery, thus providing ample power to warm the interior of the coach prior to use.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 09:32 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member
 
Dalwyn's Avatar

 
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
In the Interstate coach, I place the lithium batteries inside. Remember, they can be used below freezing, just not charged, as damage will probably occur during the charging process in below freezing conditions. Even if stored in below freezing temperatures, if the battery is located inside the coach, you can use the furnace to warm the interior to above 35F before charging the lithium.
Thanks for the info. Don't lithium batteries need to have something done to the wiring? If so, not sure anyone in this area has done that work before.
__________________
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 10:32 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
 
lewster's Avatar
 
Vintage Kin Owner
Naples, FL , Hood River, OR
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 7,279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalwyn View Post
Thanks for the info. Don't lithium batteries need to have something done to the wiring? If so, not sure anyone in this area has done that work before.
There are modifications that are needed and I would not have any one learn on your vehicle. This is something that requires an experienced tech.

Lithiums are not exactly 'plug and play' yet.
__________________
Lew Farber...ABYC Certified Master Marine Electrician...RVIA Certified Master Tech ...AM Solar Authorized Installation Center...AIRSTREAM Solar & Electrical Specialist...Micro Air 'Easy Start' Sales and Installations
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member
 
Dalwyn's Avatar

 
2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 233
Thanks for the info Lewster. Maybe by the time I need to replace the batteries lithium will be more common and I can get them installed here in my area.
__________________

__________________
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How I changed my Lifeline AGM batteries SilverGate Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 7 03-14-2016 07:24 PM
additional post for Lifeline batteries bluegrass Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 22 04-30-2012 08:17 PM
Lifeline batteries (Storage)? subfan1 Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 1 06-29-2010 10:18 PM
Lifeline Batteries? 2Tex4Fun Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 5 03-26-2009 07:04 AM
New Lifeline 6 Volt Batteries lewster Batteries, Univolts, Converters & Inverters 0 04-22-2007 07:24 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.